‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapa Nui For Dummies, August 3, 2011
This review is from: A Companion To Easter Island (Guide To Rapa Nui) (Paperback)
I completely agree with the previous review. I just returned from 8 days on Rapa Nui, Peterkin recommends a minimum of five, and this book was an invaluable aid. Peterkin's knowledge of, and love for this island and its inhabitants are obvious from having read this guide. Rapa Nui is a place like no other, and Peterkin offers sensible advice--religiously followed, except the part about acquiring a tattoo--and even rates sites to visit with one to three stars. And his ratings are, in my opinion, correct. Included are excellent photos and illustrations; a map of Hanga Roa, the only town, and of the island itself. Prices are high, consumer goods limited, and the local people affable and kind. Even with visitors such as myself, whose command of Rapa Nui is limited to two words, and whose Spanish is scant beyond knowing how to curse and ask for a beer. Maururu, Mr. Peterkin!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Companion to Easter Island, June 2, 2012
For those who plan their own travel, information about Easter Island is hard to come by. Most guidebooks to Chile include a chapter on the island that is not terribly helpful. The "Companion" changes the game. It is a user-friendly inside view of the island, its history, its facts and its myths as well as serving as a personal tour guide. Well-written, it loads readily on any e-device and can serve as your 24/7 guide. It does not deal with hotel recommendations and those can be found in the more conventional guidebooks. This book is indispensable for independent travelers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book guides you through unexpected places in Easter Island, July 3, 2011
I was for a week in Easter Island and, at first, went to see turistic typical places. When I bought this book discovered that there existed many other places to visit such as the island's prison with its handicrafts market with things made by the prisoners (at a better price than in the shops), NASA installations and many others, and was so happy to discover a new side of the Island. I would recommend it to everybody going to Easter island as their experience will be much more intense.
Nerea San Vicente

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect guidebook for touring Easter Island, May 28, 2012
This is a terrific book - it's like having your own tour guide with you on Easter Island. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and found that really handy. I simply threw it in my day pack, jumped in our rental jeep and referenced the book throughout the day. The chapters in the book make it easy to read about exactly where you are. The sights on Easter Island are breathtaking, but knowing the story behind what you're seeing adds a lot to the experience. The author writes interesting stories about all the different parts of the island, so it's not only practical information - it's enjoyable to read. I highly recommend downloading this guide before going to Easter Island. Follow the tips on what to see and when to go during the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book greatly added to our enjoyment and knowledge of the island, May 16, 2012
We were so pleased to find this book as we were looking for more complete information on the archaeological sites of the Island. The book provided much more than that and greatly added to our enjoyment and knowledge of the Island. It says it is a concise guide and it is a quick read but the sections on history and culture certainly gave us very useful information and got us interested in learning more. We used our few new words in Rapa Nui to connect with the locals and, after reading the book, were better able to ask questions. As a guide to the sites on the Island, it was invaluable. We toured the island over several days, on our own, and without the guidebook we would have missed a lot. With the newly learned background to the culture and history, viewing the sites became so much richer. With the aid of this guidebook, we felt we had had an astounding experience in Easter Island by better appreciating the statues and by having a glimpse into the culture past and present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' For Anyone Going To Easter Island, January 6, 2012
I was able to spend a few days on Easter Island around Christmas 2011, and this book helped me get the most out of my trip and I am convinced that without it, my experience would have been nowhere nearly as enjoyable. The book gives you key and interesting historical and cultural narratives as well as discussions about the top and even lesser known tourist destinations and even the best times to go to each to avoid crowds plus the generally accepted best photographic times. Admittedly, the island isn't swarming with tourists, (I estimate less than 1,000 while I was there on any given day), but wit this book I often felt like I was the only one there, being able to hit key spots during quieter times and other hidden gems where no one else seemed to venture (the caves on the western rim are awesome and off most people's radar). If you are only going to be on the island for a few days (I arrived on a Friday and left on a Monday), then I highly suggest going around on your own and using this book to plan your itinerary as I did; there was nothing advertised on any of the tours that wasn't discussed in this book and you don't lose much if anything on island culture and history by forgoing guides. Even if you are planning a longer stay, this book is still a must in my opinion so you can go out on your own a few days and not feel the slightest bit lost or confused. I cannot overstate how happy I was that I got this book ahead of time. Even the hotel I stayed at that tried to get me to use their tour and talked about how most books are all wrong with history, etc., had to admit that this book was a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easter Island, May 17, 2013
I am excited to learn a lot more about Easter Island. I am going there this winter and want to learn a lot more about the strange statues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read by an even Better Guide, March 30, 2013
This month, I returned from a trip to Easter Island. Not only did the book prove to be indispensable, but the author is a phenomenal guide as well. It's especially useful for travelers from the English speaking world, as the author hails from the UK and can speak as both a foreigner and a local, given the decade he has spent living on the island. The book is plenty useful for those who want to create their own itinerary and learn more about what they're seeing, and to get even more color, try to book a day or more with the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, March 22, 2013
I really liked this book, anyone wanting to visit Easter Island should have this one. Its written to be easy to follow and its the kind of book you want to take along with you, it is literally a companion book. All sites on the island are covered, there is so much information and background, it makes you want to go. I learned a lot about my dream vacation from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have if you're visiting Rapa Nui, February 27, 2013
This book was indispensable for my visit. There were specific tips and words of advice that were good to have ahead of time. I also used it quite a bit while I was there. Having the book on my iPad/Kindle was so nice because I could search for what I wanted. I almost didn't buy this book b/c it's only available as an e-book but I'm so glad it's in this format. If you're going to Rapa Nui, you must read this book!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Companion To Easter Island (Guide To Rapa Nui)
A Companion To Easter Island (Guide To Rapa Nui) by James Grant-Peterkin (Paperback - December 15, 2014)
Used & New from: $24.98