5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding read
Terrific book for the John Ford and John Wayne fans. Terrific quotes and glimpses into the making of several classic films.
Bought this book for my Dad for Christmas and he couldn't put it down....has not stopped thanking me for it and is anxious to loan me the book so I can read it too!
Published on January 17, 2010 by Valerie Loughran

3.0 out of 5 stars Sidekick
An interesting companion to some of the bios now appearing about John Ford. Carey first met Ford when his father worked with Ford in silent movies and grew up with Uncle Jack to have a movie career of his own. Some good behind the scene color to a man of prodigious talent and personality faults.
Published on August 6, 2001 by John Bowes

3.0 out of 5 stars Sidekick, August 6, 2001
John Bowes (Oxford, MA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding read, January 17, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars The story behind the camera, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
The author, Harry Carey, Jr., had the privilege to work with some of our most famous movie stars through out his career. The 'Company' referred to is the group of people John Ford habitually turned to to bring his vision of a story to life on the screen. Whether it was John Wayne or Henry Fonda, Ford gave them a canvas to bring their brilliance to life.
The book is full of insights as to how these cinematic feats were accomplished. Ford wasn't the easiest man to work for. Once you were 'in', you were in.
You will find out how Ben Johnson (Trooper Tyree)became a star. You'll learn why John Wayne crossed his left arm to grab his elbow in the final scene of "The Searchers" ..... and who was brought to tears behind the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
It's always interesting to see what go's on behind the scenes while making a movie.The temperment of the actors, Their strengths and weakness's and the accuracy of the story if based on actual events.
We must also keep in mind and respect the importance of the director who's job is to keep the movie as true to life as possible.. We all can act. We all act every day when we are out in public.
Shakespear said so, and the world is our stage.Let us give credit to the directors. I loved the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into many of my favorite movies and actors., March 1, 2013
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
This was a great story about many of my favorite movies and actors. His method of telling it was very enjoyable but I really wonder how anyone can remember all the details that he describes. This story is one that needed told and answered many questions I have always had about the character actors of the time. I only wish I could find another book that further described the life and times of other even lesser known actors of that time....those whose faces we all recognize but rarely know their names. Our favorite movies and TV shows would have been nothing without them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compant of Heroes, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
I read this book several years ago. It is a delightful read about people I grew up admiring. As a kid, I adopted John Wayne as a father figure in the 50s. Harry Carey Jr. gives insight into not only him but others in and out of character. We see them as real people. The book gives insight into the filming of these classic movies. I had the good fortune of obtaining an autographed copy from Mr. Carey and corresponded with him for years on his birthday. He was a genuinely nice man and has written a great book. Great laugh out loud prose throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, May 8, 2014
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
From an actor who was more than a footnote, but included initially among the "Ford Company" because of his father the book weaves a tale taking a young man through a career watching and working with some giants in the motion picture business - John Ford, John Wayne, Victor McLaglen, Maureen O'Hara, stuntmen who helped him earn his "spurs," and other behind and before the cameras. A trip through movie history in the shadow of giants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy about the book, August 1, 2014
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
Arrived in a timely manner. Very good condition. No complaints. The book has very juicy stories and insight into the actors that he worked with and with the director John Ford. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Company of Heros, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Company of Heroes (Hardcover)
My husband is a huge john wayne fan and I bought this for him for christmas and he enjoyed the book very much. great price and recieved in time for the holidays.

Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes by Jr. Harry Carey (Hardcover - June 1994)
Used & New from: $59.51