Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 18, 2010
So I bought this entirely for use with XBMC. I plugged the receiver into my Revo running XBMC Live, put batteries in the remote, and it worked instantly and without any configuration.

I plan to program my Harmony to control this, so wasn't too worried about the remote itself, but it's an above-average-quality one, with a sensible layout and well-labeled buttons.
on April 5, 2010
This remote works flawlessly for anyone looking for a solution to control XBMC or any Linux program that uses LIRC. After using a similarly branded "MCE" remote, I was expecting to have to tweak settings in order to get this remote to work just how I wanted. I was completely surprised when I plugged it in, and EVERY single button functioned correctly. Thank you, Noah, for sticking to standards, and not putting out cheap pieces of plastic that barely function.
on July 3, 2009
This remote seems to work well for the basic MCE functionality, but it has some issues that hamper its usability (for me.)

First, the "learning" feature that's been mentioned elsewhere. The MS remote for MCE has the ability to "learn" to turn your TV on/off, and to adjust the volume on your stereo (or TV.) This remote mentions such a feature in the manual ("if available"), but the version sold here doesn't actually have this feature. Having to juggle three remotes gets cumbersome, especially when the "standard" MCE remote doesn't have this problem.

Second is response time. As implied in my previous paragraph, I also have an MS MCE remote. The MS remote/receiver is quite responsive. With this remote you have to hold down each button longer for it to "register" as a button-click with the receiver. At first I thought it was an issue with the remote itself, but I later realized it's an issue with the receiver. (The receiver that came with this remote will work with the MS remote, but it still has a "sluggish" response time. No such issue if I go back to the MS receiver.) If you're used to clicking through menus (or commercials) quickly, this gets aggravating because it doesn't register some of your clicks.

Finally, this remote is extremely lightweight. It has no heft to it. This might actually be a good thing if it weren't for the learning issue, but since I'm not actually using the remote for its intended purpose, this means I can't even use it as a paperweight on my coffee table.
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2009
I got this remote to use with a new system I have running Media Center on Windows 7 Release Candidate. I also have another system running Vista Media Center which I've been using with the old "official" Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005 remote. I like this new one much better than the old Microsoft one.

This remote is a bit light for my tastes and is a too thin at the top, but the construction is solid. I really like the arrangement of the transport controls in a neat circle around the play button. I never mistakenly hit the Fast Forward button when I'm trying to hit Skip Forward like I did with the old remote. I also like that the record button is recessed in this circular array. It keeps it from being accidentally hit.

This remote also has some extra direct link buttons like "Pictures" and "Music" that weren't on the older official remote. Those have come in handy for me at times.

The setup for the remote is as simple as "plug and play". Once the USB cable for the IR receiver was plugged into a USB port on the computer, it was instantly recognized. Windows automatically installed the device and it was ready to go in about 15 seconds with no intervention on my part. It doesn't get any easier than that. Just hit the Green Button and go.

I do like this remote a lot. It isn't perfect, though. It is not a universal remote, it doesn't have backlit keys, and (as I mentioned above) it could stand to be a little thicker towards the top for better feeling when the upper buttons are being used. I will also say that the cable included for the IR receiver is very short. It is about only 3 feet in length. The good news is that the cable is not hard-wired. It is a standard mini B USB connector, so you can go anywhere and pick up a longer USB A to USB mini B cable if you need to move the receiver further from your system.

Overall, though, the benefits outweigh the negatives. I would recommend this remote control.
on November 29, 2010
After spending countless dollars looking for a remote that 'just worked', I finally came across this unit. I was previously using a USB-UIRT on an Ubuntu box to control MythTV, but a recent upgrade to the Ubuntu box made the remote not work anymore, despite the exact same configuration as before. I tried several other receivers to find most of them worked as a mouse (HID device). This makes it hard to program for linux.

The Noah Company remote receiver works flawlessly in Windows and Unix. The receiver was able to decode any remote signals I threw at it, from MCE remotes, to TiVo, to Hauppage. This was a far cry from the previous sensor. Linux was able to deal with it without anything special as well. Additionally, I had to hook up a 15ft USB extension cable, which the sensor dealt with without a problem.

The remote itself is nothing spectacular, but I am able to use my Harmony remote, which is what I was going for.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2009
So many times you buy a product online and it doesn't quite measure up. Not this one--from the box to the style of the remote, to its working features--this is one great remote, and a statement like that is hard to get from me. I'm using it to drive a media center PC for my main HD TV.

If you understand this is a remote for only using Windows Media Center (WMC), you will not be disappointed. Some of the things this remote will do (most with one button push)
1. put the PC to sleep/ wake it up
2. Select the main menu when watching a DVD
3. Change channels on your TV tuner attached to the PC.
4. Start recording a TV program from the TV guide.
5. Zoom in on the screen for DVD's that don't fill the screen. (four choices)
6. One button WMC startup.
7. easy guide navigation (up, down, left, and right)
8. One button push to watch TV from outside WMC.

Things that keep it from perfect:
The directions mention a "learning" capability (to use the volume on the TV vs. the computer, for example), but this model didn't have that.
It requires a separate infrared receiver (provided) that plugs in to a USB port. About 2X2 in.

And did I say, this is one the nicest looking remotes? Stylish--it looks first class.

The directions say it's for Vista--I'm using it with Vista Ultimate.

I recommend this highly!
on January 4, 2010
I don't know about the remote that comes with the package, because I am using a Harmony 720 with it. I have really good angle able to just point in general direction of IR receiver and it picks it up! Works with Windows Media Center and Also was able to get it running in Linux with some tweaking.
on March 30, 2010
great remote. works with linux and xbmc/boxee with no config on modern linux systems!
on May 30, 2010
I bought this knowing I wouldn't ever use the remote. I'm glad too because the first time I fired up the remote, I hit the Microsoft button and my Xbox came on. I didn't want that to happen haha.

Anyway, I bought this for the IR receiver. I have a Logitech Harmony 880 Remote Control - Refurbished and I wanted to be able to control XBMC on my Windows 7 based Home Theater PC. I plugged this in and added the device on the Harmony software as a generic "Media Center PC" and started mapping my keys.

The receiver has been great. I can't comment on the remote because I don't use it at all... But the receiver has a nice range to it. I hate how the Xbox 360 needs you to be pointed almost directly at it. This one doesn't have that problem... I don't have to worry about dead on remote pointing so much.

So yea, I give it 5 stars because I don't have to deal with the remote at all and I didn't purchase it. I suggest EVERYONE buy a Harmony remote instead of buying separate remotes over and over. It will be your best purchase.
on December 26, 2010
I purchased this remote / usb ir receiver to work with my MythTV frontend that's attached to my home theater system. This combo works perfect and I had zero issues getting everything setup. Some cheap ebay ir receivers transmit keyboard commands to the pc rather than the actual remote commands, thus getting HTPC systems to work was complicated and required a lot of work. This unit does not emulate a keyboard and it works straight out of the box with MythTV, XBMC and MS MCE.

I was actually surprised at how nice the remote itself is, it feels like a quality built item, nice buttons, labels are clear and easy to use / understand. I will definitely be purchasing two more of these when I get my other Myth frontends built soon. Also the company that sells this remote shipped it very fast, I had it very next day after I ordered.

See 1 answered question