4.0 out of 5 stars Beware, if you think it has a HDMI!
I just received this nice 15.6" notebook and I admit that I like it! The sound is great. The keypad is really handy when you need it. And the reponse of this computer is satisfying with windows 7 loaded.

Published on January 28, 2010 by Adorjan

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad quality - got a failed Hard Drive - shipped for repair and then battery is gone after repair
I purchased this laptop 2 months ago, but have not really used it much. I encountered 2 blackouts already. Even after shutdown and cold start, it didn't come back. Have to wait for long while and it recovers itself. Not sure what problem caused this. If I am still in the returning window, will definitely want to return it. I like my HP laptop better, without blackout for...
Published on September 1, 2010 by Cindy

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware, if you think it has a HDMI!, January 28, 2010
Adorjan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compaq Presario CQ61-410US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)

However, pictures in its product page might be a deceiving. Although they are shown in the pics, this model does NOT come with a webcam and HDMI. I was surprised when I opened the box and found this truth. Hence, I further digged into the specification sheet and found that I was wrong. Beware, if you think this is really a steal with a webcam and HDMI for this low price, you may just make a mistake like what I did.

In all, I do not regret my decision of buying it at all. You can buy a netbook for $299.99. But I will pay a little bit more to go with this notebook ($379.99) with full capability, faster processing speed and a DVD burner in trade of the mobility. Now, I am going return my cute but slow netbook...

4.0 out of 5 stars A laymans review, February 25, 2010
I am not a computer geek so will skip the technical mumbo-jumbo and give the laymans review... It works good. Ive had it for a couple weeks now and I have no complaints. Everything runs fast and smooth. The moniter is big and bright and clear. For what I do (web surfing, photo editing, media streaming) it works great. Also, I gotta say that I love Windows 7. To me it is a big leap forward from my previous operating system Windows XP.

*** UPDATE*** (4/6/11)I've had this laptop for over a year now and still works as good as the day I bought it. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Great Laptop, January 31, 2010
Great computer with HD Screen, the new Windows 7 so user friendly, and I love the expanded keyboard - with numbers set off to the side. I was looking at laptops twice the price ($600-$700) when I saw this one pop up on the best sellers list for Amazon. The only difference between the higher price notebooks and this Compaq is that it does not have a webcam or 4 GB of memory - it only has 2 but is expandable to 4. You can't get a better laptop for the price $379. Very happy with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Very Good' for a Mid range Computer, April 5, 2010
Paul "nighthunder" (NEW LONDON, CT, US) - See all my reviews
Compaq Presario CQ 61- 420US

I received my Compaq on April 1, after ordering it on March 28. Excellent shipping from Amazon.
This model is mid range when it comes to main stream Computing, and the Price at Amazon is a super deal. You wont find it cheaper anywhere else.
This computer has met and exceed all of my expectations, I have found no problems with its hardware or the software that comes with it.
Windows 7, will take some time getting use to, I dont know how much better it is compared to XP or Vista as yet.
To every one who read reviews before purchasing, I recommend this Computer. Its above average and the price is a bargain.
This computer trulely deserves a Five Star Rating.
Follow up - April 22: Received this Laptop on April 1st. its been up and running at least 18 hrs a day without any problems.
I can now say Windows 7 is a great improvement over XP and Vista in respect to ease of use, Safety and Security and my favourite of all is the new improved Desktop and Display features.
Most of the XP and Vista Hardware Drivers wont work with Windows 7! You will have to update them.
Had to update - Printer, Webcam, Gamepad and Digital Camera.(All works fine now)
The ATI MR\HD 4200 Graphics Video capabilities is exceptional, I Watched a Movie useing the DVD\RW Drive and the High Definition datail was unbelievable.
I also Burned some HD MP3 at 24x, I now have High Definition Audio in my Car.
The Computer Best Features revolves around Security and Safety and HP has taken this to the next level. The Computer actually Police's itself.
Compaq Presario CQ 61- 420US is one of the Best Midrange Computers on the Market. You will not
regret owning one.

5.0 out of 5 stars CQ61-420US Super Computer on a Shoe String Budget!, March 27, 2010
If you're looking for a nice laptop that can perform beyond the average expectation of a low budget laptop then this is the computer for you. Of course there are numerous other high end models to be had if the funds are readily available, but this one works well on a number of levels for, budget reasons, personal home use, as well as on a professional level. If pushed it will accommodate!

I've read a number of reviews that stated it comes with only 2 megs of ram but the unit I purchased from "Office Depot" actually came with 3 megs of ram installed with the ability to upgrade to 4 megs. As a side note: installed were one 2meg ram chip and another 1meg chip in the only two slots available, so of course the single meg ram chip was a waste once I upgraded it's slot with a new 2 meg ram chip to have a total of 4megs. But no worries though as it was well worth it for the increased application speed and was easy to do.

As a bonus this laptop also comes with an additional 128MB (Megs)or cache memory for smooth video streaming and high definition playback whereas others at this level do not offer the same.

Since the original purchase I have also upgraded to "Windows 7 Professional" from the original home version initially installed as an "OEM" (Original Equipment Manufacture). The professional version allows much more application versatility and unlocks more of the operating systems existing (and hidden power). The battery life is average but good while the display screen is brighter and crisper then most.

It can and does run many high powered memory hungry software applications very well and simultaneously if you choose. Just to name a few, Adobe Photoshop CS, AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point, Roxio video/music/photo production and editing software and MORE! (All of which are not necessarily included except for a trial version of Microsoft Office and Norton Anti-Virus application suite). It also comes with a very nice DVD/CD light-scribe drive, and easy internet access with the built in Wi-Fi for quick mobile internet surfing on the go anywhere there is wireless internet access.

And NO! It does not have a video camera but for the power you get at such a low price it is easily added for a nominal cost if you shop around. This unit runs circles around my older Dell workstation originally built for the same or similar task! I've owned it now for several months with no problems while having purchased an extended 4 year warranty that allows me to upgrade to the latest unit in the event of the systems possible failure, even if that's four years from now! (This may be an "Office Depot" deal and no I do not work for Office Depot. I just shop there a lot).

All in all it's an excellent laptop for the price though once funds are available I'm sure to upgrade to an even more extreme power house from the likes of "HP" to suite my growing digital needs/speed and desires. You can't go wrong here especially if you purchase the extended warranty where offered. By the way HP and Compaq are one in the same in case you didn't know. The HP models just offer the higher end hardware for increased power and performance just not for those of us on a "Shoe String Budget"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the price, March 19, 2010
I think this is a decent computer for the price but remember that you get what you pay for. I would love this computer if it weren't for the fact that the battery sucks and the speakers are really low. Instead of the 4.5 hours of battery life advertised.. It's really maybe 1.5 hours before you need to plug in the charger. The speakers are kinda low which makes it frustrating to try to watch movies or video's. Other than those two things it's a good buy. I gave it 4 stars because both are problems that can be fixed by purchasing additional accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compaq cq61-420us, February 7, 2010
I purchased this notebook a week ago. With rebates and store sale prices, I paid $[...] total for it. Absolutely first rate on quality of product. Touch pad of this quality is usually reserved for high end units. Full numeric keyboard is a welcome addition. I would have liked to see more hot keys for common used actions. Dual core processor, 3 gigs of RAM, lightscribe DVD writer combine to make you think it's a high end computer. All for less than $[...]. Outstanding value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the money!, May 13, 2010
The Compaq 61-410 isn't the fastest, fanciest or coolest laptop in the world. It is, however, a great value for someone needing a new computer for email, basic web surfing and office work, etc. The sound is good, the screen is crystal clear and the computer boots pretty quickly. Windows 7 works without a hitch (so far, at least!) and the wireless components seem far better than my 4-year-old machine at finding available WiFi connections.

Overall, a good solid "A" for value for this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for the money!, March 4, 2010
I hadn't bought a new computer in almost 10 years. I chose Compaq because of that - my old workhorse (still functioning) is a Compaq! This laptop is a basic model, but works fine for the purposes for which I bought it. My only complaint is that the battery life is not as advertised, but I seldom take it anywhere that I can't plug it in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for student purchase., February 28, 2010
Devin (Columbia, MD) - See all my reviews
I am a college student on a limited budget. I wanted a computer for under $500 that I could use for movies, video games, and homework. I bought the CQ61-410US a month ago and it has been working perfectly. I run Counter-Strike source on it and it runs well. It is quiet, has a nice battery life, although I have not let it die yet. I have dropped my laptop a couple times and it still works well. I would definitely recommend buying this. A+

Compaq Presario CQ61-410US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Used & New from: $179.90