Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Compaq 15.6" Laptop 2GB 320GB | CQ57-489WM
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 5, 2012
I also purchased this laptop at Walmart like the other poster, but my experience has actually been pretty positive. I give it 4 stars not because it can compare to a more expensive computer but because, considering the price, it's actually a good purchase for any one looking for a computer to browse the web, watch movies, listen to music, all of the normal activities. If you're looking for a computer capable of handling high-end games, video editing, or more intensive programs then you're not looking for a laptop under $300. Everyone else can get by just fine with this product.
on December 10, 2012
Works flawlessly. Be careful of some confusion in reading reviews online. There are a lot of Compaq CQ57 out there. This is a CQ57-489WM (big difference! This is a Dual Core, not single or CoreDuo). Granted it is not a gaming computer but for the same price as a small net-book its the way to go. It Runs HP drivers and user friendly HP updating programs (which I have on the rest of my computers and love). It comes with 2GB RAM but is upgradable to 8GB for about $40. Which I highly recommend. Never an issue in the last 4 months I have owned it, and it is used extensively daily.
on January 3, 2013
I was on Maui with a new Toshiba laptop in the $400 price range I had bought from Best Buy. The hard drive died within a few months and so I needed a quick replacement since no Best Buy on Maui and I couldn't go grab my other laptop at home on another island. I swung into Walmart and picked up the cheapest laptop I could find, it was this model. But low and behold, the thing is reliable. Surfs the web no problem, plays my itunes collection no problem, does Word processing no problem, watch Youtube no problem, burn cds and dvds no problem. It can play old video games no problem. For more modern games thats what my high def tv and xbox 360 is for along with my ipad. Long story short, great computer for someone who doesn't need all the fancy bells and whistles (of course dvd players were once considered whistles in laptops before). Plus its old fashion. When the battery dies out, I can cheaply pop it out and get a replacement so its low maintence, unlike my Apple stuff I got to send back and pay at least a $100 to replace the battery now days. I would say if you don't know what computer you want get this one cause it will do what you need. The biggest crime in computing is always being enticed to buy a $1000+ computer when you don't use any of the functions. Unless you're making movies, playing video games, or need some super high tech program for work or your hobby, stick with what does the job unless you're into fashion, then I would advise spending it on Apple Macbook pro or Air and staying away from those Ultrabooks until they make better ones.
on March 24, 2013
Nothing more than your basic laptop here with very few bells and whistles. It does have a camera and a ton of worthless bloat ware. Its a good looking laptop that runs Windows 7 without fail. Perfect for my mother in law who tears up a laptop once a year.
on December 25, 2014
I bounced this laptop around in a backpack hanging off of my wheelchair knocking it onto the floor more than a few times. upgrading the ram will become necessary. the dvd drive quit a couple of months ago. I've had zero problems with hibernation, which would be software issue, not hardware problem anyway. it' not fair to blame hp/Compaq for windows quality or end user skill issues.
on December 31, 2013
I bought at WalMart 2 years ago it is on at least 8 hours a day not only for her school work but she has two sisters who also use it for school work. It was the best buy ever. Three girls using the lap top for music, movies and school work and it keeps on going. I am now looking for one for my 9 year old granddaughter as the laptop gets left on the floor or wherever they are at the time and no problems. With what the download and use it for I feel I have gotten my monies worth.
on March 28, 2013
This is a good laptop for the average computer user. It gets over six hours of battery life in the right computer settings. It runs minecraft pretty well (not perfect though). The sound on it is very good through headphones. The speakers are ok but you would expect that from a laptop. The reason for only four stars though is this model has the infamous Ralink 5390 802.11 b/g/n wireless adapter in it which has pretty poor connectivity I had low and intermittent connection even being ten feet from the router. I have ordered a new wireless card it is an intel I am hoping that it is compatible with this notebook. I highly recommend intel networking equipment.
on January 14, 2013
I purchased this item for my mother as a replacement. Since she really only needed something for email, news and games we thought it would be perfect. However since starting it up it's been nothing but frustrating. I've ordered memory,( upgrading to 8 gig) that we'll install to see if that helps the memory issues. Other issues include inability to install a mouse driver (installed it on her desktop recently without incident) and loud fan noise to name a few.

Would not recommend this product (and I'm typically a HP fan)......
on October 3, 2012
I bought this laptop at Walmart. It's a great laptop when it works. However, it hibernates itself randomly and sometimes very frequently. I have hibernate set to never and it still does it. It hibernates plugged in and on the battery.
Days like today, when it's hibernating every 5 to 20 minutes, I want to pitch the thing off a bridge.
on March 5, 2013
My mom really likes it, works great for the price & it has windows 7, not the new windows 8