Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2008 7:15:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2008 7:19:34 AM PDT
I am beginging to Listen to this book and I have just got done listening to the first book of the series Conversations With God books written by Mr. Walsch. I am wondering if those of you "searching" for answers have read both books and if you can make a comparison between them for me.I guess I am not looking to understand who is more correct,because ultimately I am the one to make that choice.I am asking your opinion who conveys the best thoughts on understanding God and "his" plan for us on this life on earth and into our "everlasting life".
Please share your thoughts..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2008 3:40:20 PM PDT

In my opinion the answer is ACIM's central message is that there is no world, that this world was created in a tiny mad moment when the Son of God forgot to laugh. In it's forgetting the dream or descent into fear or unreal began because God cannot give reality to God not being God otherwise God is not God (viz Nothing real can be threatened Nothing unreal exists therein lies the piece of God) so the separation or ego is an illusory thought system that is in denial of God. I think it says a sense of separation with God is the only thing we need to correct so ACIM is a mind changing course to end the dream, the purpose is to not to make it in the world, the dream, but to wake out of it.

CWG says I think, that it was God that separated itself to create a point of reference to know itself. In the absence of that which is not, that which is, is not. This lead to duality, opposites, relativity (relationships). God did this to experience itself and created a billion trillion aspects of itself i.e. people, galaxies, living organisms. The central thrust of this idea is that it suggests that God was not complete and had to complete itself through experiencing itself through us so this world is real in the sense it is God's and our journey to experiencing itself. The problem with it in my opinion is that it suggests that God lacked something that is experience of itself so God is not all. CWG suggested that God made this world, ACIM suggested that God did not (it was created by the prodigal son who made the illusion of separation from the father which never was). ACIM and CWG agree that sickness, disease, sin guilt fear, judgement are nothing to do with God. ACIM teaches cosmic forgiveness which recognizes that what appears to have happened did not because projection creates perception so we forgive as we're perfect whereas CWG tends to operate more on the issues of this world: politics is spirituality demonstrated. ACIM suggests that there is truth that exists beyond perception. CWG is about creating higher and higher aspects of oneself. Another thing ACIM suggests that death is inherent in the Ego's thought system, whereas CWG appears to say that death is the means to go from one experience to another.

All very confusing I think ACIM's idea that God is perfect love and perfectly complete feels more accurate to me.

I prefer ACIM's

CWG says on the other hand

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 12:42:50 PM PDT
Wow! Thank you for responding Mr. Mcloughlin! How truely rich your life must be by understanding both concepts so clearly!

Posted on May 17, 2009 12:44:38 AM PDT
I believe without CWG, I would not be able to understand a lot of what I needed to understand to realize Christianity's ideas are quite bogus (I was Christian). It was a transitioning period for me, much like The Infinite Way and The Science of Mind were written for their time, when the message of this world not existing would not be accepted, so they HAD to state things as if god created everything.
Now, you get into Gary Renard, who explains the Course for the Lamen (and probably Ken Wapnick), making the principles focused and easy to understand, with practices you can try and obtain results from, woohoo! Can't find that in most other spiritual practices that claim the same thing. I've practiced for 6 years now and constantly feel a state of peace vicodin and valuum can't even give (I rarely need that, but did have some recently for the dentist and it honestly didn't do much compared to forgiveness).

In other words, CWG may be necessary as a transition, even though someone who understands the logic of the Course will see that there are some insane ideas mixed in with an otherwise extraordinary book.

Which one would you rather give to a transitioning seeker anyway? CWG in my opinion, Communion in particular for me.

Anyway, thought I'd add to the discussion to intelligently help anyone else seeking. I threw in the names of some enlightened masters' works that assist me. Besides, the Course doesn't teach how to demonstrate supply until the very end (prayer pamphlet) and Joel, and Ernest Holmes especially, do teach how... I highly recommend. Also, don't think of "you" as a body when you do practice that, otherwise you'll block supply. Was my problem for awhile, fixed it by remembering the truth about self, and voila, I'm seeing extras show up in my life again.

So this is advice for anyone seeking to know what's real, where to find peace, how to obtain spiritual enlightenment...

now most importantly, practice! Grab the material and use it! You have a whole network of friends awaiting you! (but avoid ACIM groups, seriously, you'll see why when you find one that completely screws up the core message)

M. Williamson is NOT the Course in miracles! avoid people that think you're reading those books too... (at this time, I hear she's become more focused lately)- just my opinion, but I believe you'll find your own way as well.

Hope this rant helped, Vote below.
Stephen J

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 5:26:14 AM PDT
Lola Ruiz says:
I read CWG first and The Disappearance of the Universe and i consider this a very brave step coming from a part of the world, West Africa, where Religion and not Spirituality is everything. (Without these two books or then maybe not, now i know better), it would have been difficult, almost impossible to conceive and read a book like ACIM. I cannot even discuss with anyone but my immediate family(which unbelievably has always had the same mindset) the books but only try now and then to discuss parts of it as some people would not only have me "Burn in Hell" but may physically seek to throw me there.
CWG was an eye-opener, ACIM is everything after. I always knew from a very young age, that something wasn't quite right now i understand and if i were to tell the long tale of how this book fell into my hands, the sheer incoincidence of it, it would show why i am forever grateful i did not leave this world "This time" without discovering the Truth in the ACIM. I am truly overwhelmed!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 10:25:41 AM PDT
Mizmotown says:

An inspiring message regarding ACIM. Welcome to the truth W. Africa! I would love to hear your story how The Course found you. It's always interesting to hear how truth reveals itself to those who ask and are ready

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 10:48:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2011 10:49:38 PM PDT
Nicole says:
I agree with the above. I was brought up old school christian, but didn't really get it emotionally. It just didn't click. Then when things were going very topsy turvy in my life, CWG showed up and I swalloed every bit of it. All Walsche's books.... twice.

Then went slightly budhists and slightly sihk (indian religion) before hitting ACIM. Even then it took me 3 yrs from buying the blue book to really understand what ACIM was all about. And I have Gary Renard and his visitors to thank for that.

I have a soft spot for CWG. But believe ACIM will be a more direct approach to letting go of my fears. Each to there own of course. There are many ways to the mountain top.

The end.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:05:41 PM PDT
"It's always interesting to hear how truth reveals itself to those who ask and are ready." I asked and thought I was ready but ended up with an abusive "teacher of God' who after much investigation I concluded was trained by Charles Buehl Anderson of Endeavor Academy. I've completely shyed away from ACIM as a result. Every religion seems to have their "fundamentalists" so beware of "false teachers" who use fear to take you to love.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 8:40:13 AM PDT
Glad I came across this discussion. Wondered about this this but had no one to ask or discuss with.

I came across CWG and felt for the first time something felt familiar. Then somehow came across Disappearance and couldn't wait to get ACIM. Had heard a little of ACIM by that time but would never have gotten into it without Disappearance.

I feel the same as you Lola Ruiz and thank you BMcL for such simple and clear analyses to something that is hard to put into easily understandable summary.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 6, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Course in Miracles: Text, Workbook for Students and Manual for Teachers
A Course in Miracles: Text, Workbook for Students and Manual for Teachers by Foundation for Inner Peace (Paperback - April 17, 1989)