Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

How to Fix Lag Compensation/Bad Lobbys And actually Play the game!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 3:10:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 2:21:49 PM PST
BOBdotEXE says:
(To see the fix, and skip my rant, scroll down to the bottom of this post)

So I'd be playing this game, and a few times, I'd get some really bad lobbys, I could shoot an entire magazine at some one an get no hit markers, and other times I would shoot 10 times at someone and be aiming straight, using foregrip, and I'd get only one or two.

Well most people would blame the game and say "it's MW3's Lag compensation back again!!"

Well that's not really the case. The way this games networking is set up is almost the opposite of mw3, instead of compensating people with bad connections, by messing with the High Speed internet users hit boxes.
They just have everyone connecting the same way, and since they guy you're shooting at may have a slower connection they don't receive your data as fast.

So you may be thinking, "Okay, isn't that that same thing?"
well no, in this instance it's their connection that determines how much out of sync everything gets. not the game trying to guess how much you should be slowed down to try to make everyone have a fair game.

While this still could be improved and smoothed out, to make playing against bad connection people actually playable, their are some quick fixes you can do in the meantime. So they these before returning the game.
(after all it's only week 1, Remember the other cod games on launch week?)
Fix #1 should work for 95% of you, unless you have a lot of people on your internet at your house.

--Fix #1--
1.Start up multiplier
2. Click 'Xbox Live' or psn if you're on ps3
3. Click 'Public Match'
4. Click 'Find Match'
5. you should be at the playlist screen, in the bottom right it should say 'Search Preferences' If your on Xbox press [X] I think it's [Square]for ps3.
6.Scroll over to 'best' then go back.

This will make sure you only connect to the lobbies with the best connections for you.

---Fix #2--
1. Do all the steps in Fix #1
2.if you have a hub/switch connected to your router/modem, unplug it, and connect your Xbox DIRECTLY to your Router/Modem
3.Join a Game.

---Fix #3---
1. Do fixes 1, and 2.
2. Forward your ports for xbox live (or PSN if you're on ps3)

---Fix #4---
1. Fixes (1-3)
2. Set up QoS on your router.
The ports you need are in the link under step 3.

I had to find most the stuff myself. but #2 I found here:

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:10:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:47:40 AM PST
Lag compensation compensates for people with bad connections. You having a good connection with the host won't change the impact of lag compensation from the other 10 players. The purpose of lag compensation is to predict where a player will be when his lag is making it hard for your client to know where he'll be, but sometimes it gets it wrong. So no matter how good your connection is, lag compensation will always be an issue due to other peoples' connections, which you have no control over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:31:23 AM PST
BOBdotEXE says:
I titled the post 'Lag compensation' because that's what most people think the problem is caused by.
As I said above, that may not be your issue, it's the new network code, I've seen significant improvement in the game's performance, when limiting matchmaking to the 'best connections'.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:07:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:07:28 PM PST
Peragulator says:
If I get an invite it's the host that will have to hit the X for best connection. Why does EVERYONE else seems to have the better connection because I've been losing every gunfight I get into? My take? Just get rid of lag compensation all together since no one ever says, "God that lag compensation is the best!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:37:37 PM PST
N. Rios says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:16:39 PM PST
Here is another link that will help you out if you are having issues with lag in multiplayer.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact us on Twitter @ATVIAssist or Activision Assist on Facebook. ^MM

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:25:42 AM PST
Tim Drake says:
My problem is not lag, it's broken hit detection, which is an in-game issue!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:39:42 AM PST
BOBdotEXE says:
Messed up hit detection is a symptom of a bad connection.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 3:14:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2012 3:15:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:52:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 24, 2012 11:29:06 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:10:31 PM PST
Dude says:
everything is fine for me except for SOME hit marker detection issues, but that will be patched. It only happens every once in a while. Good game!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:00:36 PM PST
Very helpful post and information. Thanks for taking the time to help others with this issue.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:43:20 AM PST
D. Barnard says:
Lag compensation is only one of the many frustrating problems associated with Black Ops 2. Camping, map design, dated graphics, head glitching and horrific spawns will not be positively addressed by this information.... but thanks for trying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 11:57:14 PM PST
J. Romeo says:
True, true. I haven't met anyone that has said, " We need lag compensation to make this game even better."
I don't know what the original poster was talking about. I have my Xbox hard lined and I still get the effects of the lag compensation. Oh, that's right I will because I have a better internet connection than some others playing on the game.
To Activision Assist:
There is A LOT more wrong with the online game than just the lag compensation. Who's idea was that anyway? Being able to run around with only a knife and get more kills than any one else? Who's idiotic idea was that one? Shotguns that shoot with the range of rifles? Did anyone at Treyarch or Activision do any weapons research? I don't think so.
Anyhoo....last COD game I will ever buy.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 8:11:44 AM PST
The root cause of ALL of this is the stupid peer-as-a-server model. They need dedicated servers. BF3 has these (and even lets you pay a monthly fee to rent one of your own, where you can make all the settings), and stuff is far more balanced as a result.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about