5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful is the only way to descibe Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn
Published on January 13, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars e-book with apparent formatting problems
Published on January 29, 2012 by L. Cohen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful is the only way to descibe Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn, January 13, 2011
This review is from: The Complete Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer (Kindle Edition)
In my opinion, Mark Twain is one of the top 10 writers of American literature. Who else can spin a tale with such thoughtfulness and inspiration. It allows the reader to understand what life may have been in the history of slavery, the sadness of knowing the black race lived under the heel of whites, and the lack of formal education in rural America. And yet, in spite of all its short comings, America lived and prospered. Lets not forget the mischief and comedy throughout. It causes tears in the eyes.
Just a pure, wonderful read.The Complete Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars THE American Classic, February 13, 2011
I think it was Hemingway who said that "all American literature comes from one book, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since." It is a shame that our current politically correct society has made the reading of this classic controversial. By not reading this classic in the classroom, students are missing out on a real American classic and also the opportunity to discuss the progress of race relations in the book and how they are mirrored by the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check out Tom Sawyer Abroad, July 7, 2010
Dash (GRAND ISLAND, NE, US) - See all my reviews
The price is right for these works, and certainly most people are familiar with Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. But check out the less well-known "Tom Sawyer Abroad." It is not quite as well-written as Twain's more famous works, but has moments of pure genius. Just check out Location 8361 with the best explaination of the Middle East you will ever come across, and I mean 21st century, 20th century or 19th.

2.0 out of 5 stars e-book with apparent formatting problems, January 29, 2012
L. Cohen "SLOElsie" (San Luis Obispo, Ca.) - See all my reviews
I ordered this for my new Kindle Touch 3G; there were problems from the beginning. I didn't know if it was the Kindle or the book as it was my first book to download on my new Kindle. It would repeatedly jump from wherever I was reading to the plot or character summary. It happened frequently and it became rather frustrating. Eventually, I contacted Kindle support; they were extremely helpful, sent me an updated version of "The Complete Adventures. . . ", however, even with that I had the same problem though a little less frequent. The support staff, when they called me back to see how the update was doing, offered to refund me and remove it off my Kindle; I agreed to this approach. The staff person suggested it may have been a book formatting problem (as there were several "books" within the "book" of "The Complete Adventures. . .) Disappointed with the book situation but thrilled with the conscientious service. I have had no further problem with my Kindle. UPDATE on Feb.6,2012: I did finish reading Tom Sawyer on Kindle and have since read Huck Finn in hardcover(from library); I thoroughly enjoyed Twain's humor and writing ability and am looking forward to reading more of his works. Doubt I will order more "books within a book" editions for Kindle reading, however. Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the Original Work, September 21, 2012
I chose this particular edition because it is uncensored from the original works. The free version that is available for Kindle states that it has been censored, which displeases me in that it is not what Mark Twain intended and is not indicative to the time period in which the novels were written. I have no control over what the schools in this country teach our children, but I am not offended by certain words or viewpoints when they appear in their original time frame, and I would much rather read them as the good author intended. So having validated my purchase of this work, let me say that for the 99 cent price, this is a remarkable bargain! Not only did I receive "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," which is what I wanted in the first place, but I also received "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and two other novels! Can't beat that and what a fantastic and entertaining read! Mark Twain truly deserves his place in history as an American icon and storyteller. One paragraph flows into the next and the reader is transported back to the days of mischievous boyhood in the old South. Buy this edition and look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, March 6, 2013
It has the original Tom Sawyer novels and Huckleberry Finn novel in full. Worth downloading if you want to read them, but you may want to instead purchase/download one of the "The Complete Works of..." type collections for Mark Twain that are available these days. They usually are less than $5.00 in digital format, especially for older novels/stories that are now in the public domain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, April 24, 2012
Good read, get it before Big Brother edits it. Enjoyed the first two more than the last but still would recommend. How times have changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars adventure, March 28, 2014
Old and read as a youth brought back good memories. Still recommended for young people but many youth today may not appreciate the adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars C'MON! You HAVE to read these books, November 30, 2013
Well, only the first and perhaps finest "great American novel" - in breezy Twain vernacular that you cannot put it down. Of course many of the scenes are renowned classics, but it's a must read - very funny and meaningful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy and give it to a teenager!, November 13, 2013
Sundowner (Boerne, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I think this is "the" American Novel. Huck and Jim and their travels down the Mississippi are as meaningful today in our culture as they were when this story was put on paper. Samuel Clemmons is one of the most astute critics of the American experience because Huck demonstrates that it is better to be right than excepted. It is a dangerous concept in our "me too" world where American murderous racist behavior is considered heroic. Huck should be a mandatory read for every kid in middle school. Huck is a true hero wrapped, not in a flag, but in human common decency. Huck does the "right thing".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›