5.0 out of 5 stars Raw food made easy

Published on June 12, 2009 by Dottie Parker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Bad Second Edition, June 12, 2009
Dottie Parker (Columbus, Oh USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Book of Raw Food, Second Edition: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods * Includes More Than 400 Recipes from the World's Top Raw Food Chefs (Hardcover)
I recently purchased the new second edition after repeatedly checking out the first edition from the library. I'm extremely disappointed because the index is inaccurate with such mistakes as: "Portobello Mushroom-Marinated and Stuffed" is listed as located on page 113, but soups are on that page. Cheeses are listed as starting on page 187, but crackers are on that page. And I never found the recipe for "Parmesan Cheese". To make matters worse, after only looking through the book 3 or 4 times, the binding is coming apart. They have used recycled materials which is great, but it is of low quality. I paid for a book that I can't make full use of. I E-mailed the company about it, but have not received a response. I think they should replace their flawed product to customers who request it. I do not recommend purchasing this second edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw food made easy, September 3, 2008
GypsyDoll (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I just received my copy of The Complete Book of Raw Food and I love it already! I am new to the raw food movement but very interested in it. I looked around for a book that would be informative but too intimidating and this one definitely caught my eye! In the beginning there are explanations on different preparation methods and things you should know about being raw vegan if you so choose it. Very, very informative and not coming from a judgmental place, if that makes sense. The recipes have varying skill levels which is great for a beginner like me! Overall, I have a feeling this book will get a lot of use in my kitchen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Easy Read, November 27, 2008
This was the second book I purchased to provide an introduction to raw food preparation. I like the book because it was easy and quick to read. No only that, it provided good basic explanations about what tools and equipment are used in raw food prepartion and how to use them. Offerred tips too. Has a lot of recipes which are not overly involved. I am glad I bought the book and will keep it as a good referance.

3.0 out of 5 stars complete book of raw food, May 17, 2009
I think I got an older copy because the index was wrong. Page numbers were off on some things and some recipes that were referenced didn't exist. I saw another copy that had a white cover and it was correct. No pictures in either book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful place to begin, October 3, 2008
If you wanted just one raw food book. This is it. It gives explainations and a varity of recipes. Then you can look at other raw books by the chefs whose recipes you enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Through read - wish there were more photos!, September 29, 2011
I bought this book because it had so many contributing raw food chefs (and authors) sharing their insights on preparing raw food as well as recipes. I recognised some names immediately (Juliano, Victoria Boutenko, etc..) and I thought it must be pretty indepth to have so many people contributing and to be such a big book.

The first section is all about the kitchen, prep-work and methods used to prepare raw food along with handy tips. I found this section to be well laid out and quite useful. It is not hard for a beginner to understand.

The second section is all about the recipes - lots to see here! Everything ranging from snacks and smoothies to mains and desserts. At the top of each recipe (underneath the names of it but before the ingredients) there is a handy guide telling you how much preparation time is needed (ie 24hrs soaking time or 10 hrs dehydration time, etc) as well as the immediate preparation time (20mins to make for example). I found this to be useful as then you can decide if you want to start the recipe in the morning by soaking and then making that night, OR making the recipe in the morning and dehydrating during the day, or just plan it to be ready by a certain time....nothing worse than wanting to make something and find that you can't and have to wait 10+ hours for it to be ready! The recipes I have tried have all turned out very well so I can't complain about the flavour of anything I've made from this book.

The third section has a reading list - also listing the contributing authors books as well as others for further reading on nutrition, healing and fasting/cleansing. It also has a glossary (I like these as sometimes in Australia we use different terms for the same vegetable/fruit in the US....and sometimes I plain just don't know what it is!! This section also contains a little paragraph or two about each author, their road to raw and what they do. Some of the stories are quite inspirational and really do make me feel better - because no one is perfect, everyone is human and we are all still learning!

The only thing I didn't really like about the book was the lack of photos - I would have liked a few more of these! It's not the be all or end all for me as I use my cookbooks and I don't want to take my pretty glossy ones into the kitchen lest I marr them. I would have given this book 4.5 stars if that had been an option.

Overall if you don't mind a book with not many pictures and with loads of information and great recipes - give this book a go. I'd reccommend this for a raw fooder who has one or two beginners uncook books (check out Ani Phyo and Lisa Mann in my opinion) and wants to add to the library. This book is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, November 15, 2008
Jennifer Lee Brittingham (Tarrytown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
New to raw food, this book is a great introduction. I like that there are MANY chefs who contributed and they share their stories as well. There are tons of recipes and helpful tips for both the new and seasoned raw food enthusiast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Newbee, June 29, 2009
Janie Gale "Janie Gale" (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
The information in the first part of the book was great for explaining raw food, preparation, dehydration, seasoning, ect. The recepies were good for the most part. Problem is always some unknown item or non avaliablility. BIG problem was that the page numbers in the index didn't always match correct page and reference numbers between receipes never matched. Probably reason book was reduced in price. Otherwise is a great book and great and tasty recepies

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, February 10, 2010
This is a very handy book to own. The authors/editors have compiled a wonderful collection of tasty, and mostly easy to prepare recipes from many well-known and not-so-known raw food chefs. I keep it on my "first go-to" book shelf.

It is a good acquisition for everyone, from beginners to experienced raw foodists looking for new inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Raw Books written!, September 5, 2009
One of the best all round raw food books, that includes some great recipes.

This is one of the more recent 'text' books on Raw and Living foods. I bought it after seeing it in nearly every raw foodie's home library! I asked about it, and was told it was a great starter text, and a very solid addition to any health library too. After reading it I totally agree and recommend it 100%.

I think if I had to have only two raw food books, I'd add Raw Food and Health, as its the granddaddy of all raw food books, and goes into areas that I have not seen in anyone raw food book. Both of these books are a complete library!

Raw Food And Health: The Raw Food Classic By The Founder Of The Raw Food Movement

Eat right!