5.0 out of 5 stars Drink your fruit and veggies

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful Juicing Certain Vegis and Fruits
Published on July 4, 2011 by Cupcake

5.0 out of 5 stars Drink your fruit and veggies, April 17, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality (Paperback)
Once you've tasted the fruit juice recipes in this book, you'll feel cheated every time you drink bottled, canned or otherwise processed juices from the grocery store. I'll admit I have a sweet tooth so, the fruit juices are what I like most about this book. However, Michael Murray has also packed it with a lot of useful health information. He highlights the link between progressive Westernization of diets and the subsequent rise of modern day plagues like heart disease, cancer and diabetes. The text contains tables of quantitative information and references to reputable scientific publications to support his contentions. In fact, the information convinced me to at least try some of the less palatable-looking vegetable juices; quite a feat, considering that I was never enthusiastic about downing glasses of liquefied parsley, kale or leeks. I was pleasantly surprised. In particular, a concoction called "Cruciferous Surprise" containing cabbage, broccoli, kale, carrots and apples really did turn out to be a shock--a rather tasty one. Despite the fact that I'd consumed a couple of pounds of veggies and fruit in a few gulps, I didn't end up feeling like an overinflated hot air ballon! To be completely honest though, there were a few veggie juice recipes that pickled my palate and left me feeling seasick, but over all, I was quite pleased with the book. Whether you have a medical condition for which you're seeking nutritional support (the chapter on "Juice as Medicine" recommends various fruit and vegetable juices which can be therapeutic for a number of ailments)., looking for ways to improve your diet or simply trying to add something new and exciting to your culinary repertoire, this is a fun and informative book to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Murray's Book is the Greatest!, July 2, 2001
Don Boring (Glendora,, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have come to rely on "The Complete Book of Juicing," as a bible and wealth of information on the NUTRITIONAL components of fresh juice. It is ALSO a GREAT! guide to which juices, (yes fruits and vegetables together) that combine well for great taste and a power punch of vitamins and phytonutrients. I have a juicer AND a Vitamix and this book has helped me everystep along the way to changing my eating style effortlessly and smoothly from a burger and grease american style diet to a healthy mix of fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. I am grateful to have this book and wish I had 25 of them to give to friends and aquaintances who express an interest in improving their health. I have lost 75 lbs, and regained my health at middle age. I have never felt better! Buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, July 4, 2000
Terry (Douglas, Wyoming, United States) - See all my reviews
I love the almost complete information in this book. The author does a very good job of explaining the benefits of juicing. He has a section on the fruits and vegetables with the benefits of juicing each. There is a nice section on recipes(both with nutritional value and caloric content). There is a section on weight loss by juicing and a section which recommends different recipes to juice for different health problems. This book has great information nutritionally and it is easy reading. I did find it prejudice towards the Juiceman Juicer line of products, that is why it came down one star level in the ratings. The study he used to promote the Juiceman was incomplete.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful Juicing Certain Vegis and Fruits, July 4, 2011
The book is very good in that it tells about the origins of the fruits and vegis you are juicing and has lots of recipes. It doesn't tell you how much you should drink to begin with. I juiced 1 large beet and became very sick from it - to the point I almost went to the ER. I later found other people on the internet who had the same experience that I did. The only thing this book said about beets was that it could irritate the throat. That was an understatement. Some vegis and fruits are toxic in large quantities or if your body is not use to them. I even found one website that was titled, "Respect the Beet." I had no idea a vegi could make you that sick. Apparently some vegis have acids in them that become super concentrated when juiced and raw. This book should have warned me of that. If you buy this book be careful to start off with small glasses until your system gets use to the raw juice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Complete Book of Juicing, February 28, 2002
By A Customer
This is an excellent juicing and nutritional resource. I have learned so much about the value of certain foods that I didn't know before. I have been juicing for four weeks now and I feel so much better, have more energy, lost weight,and my appetite is reduced so I wouldn't miss a day of juicing.
The book outlines which fruits and vegetables you should juice with for certain ailments as well as giving you detailed measurements of the nutritional value of each food so you can determine what you need to juice with so you can add certain nutrients to your diet.
I would highly recommend this book. It's enjoyable reading also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Book--and Still Eat Meat, etc; great recipes, nutritional info, July 2, 2005
Student of the Word (Eagle River, Alaska) - See all my reviews
Hey--I am not a vegetarian, but sure appreciated this book for its multiple qualities and useful info:

a. recipes--main reason I got, combo ones as well as those under individual fruits and vegetables: even teenage son likes "Cruciferous Surprise" (even has broccoli and cabbage, and the surprise ingredient which "soothes" the flavor), which tastes better than its green color, and "Better Red than Dead" (carrot, beet and sweet potato) builds up sun protection, etcetc.. innovative, tasty

b. fruit and vegetable individual listings, such as carrots,apple, broccoli, listing nutritional components,vitamins, calories, benefits, as well as good tasty combinations for each

c. benefits of juicing, nutritional primer/info--this may be where some other readers were left cold, as they did not embrace what they perceived as author's vegetarian perspective/agenda. It is handy to read about why juicing (in combination with other food consumption) can be more beneficial than just munching raw or cooked veggies. Well, I am not a vegetarian, and sure still like meat and chocolate!...but one can take what one wants from the book, as in other matters in life. There is a section on juice fasting, as well, for those interested.

Of the several juicing books I had, I wound up actually using this repeatedly, and have given several copies, new and used when I can find them, away over the past couple of years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, improve your life, September 25, 2001
By A Customer
This book is an outstanding reference. Michael Murray has written a book that will help change your life. I have lost 22 pounds in the past 3 months and improved both my health and well being using the recipes and guidelines in this book. As part of a healthy diet, juicing can change your life.
I bought this book after reading the many other reviews and wanted to take the time to come back after I had actually used it to provide some input. This book combines a wide variety of recipies with nutritional information and very helpful advice, of all of the books I have reviewed and/or purchased, this is by far the best - buy this book, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best!!!!!!, May 2, 1999
By A Customer
I'm a nutritionist and have most of the books out there on juicing. To me, this is by far the best of them all. Buy it -- you'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only own one juicing book it should be this one, January 11, 1999
By A Customer
I am new to juicing and this book told me everything I need to know, along with giving many recipes for all different ailments and personal needs. Good nutritional breakdown of each recipe included. Juices are suprisingly delicious. I'm hooked on juicing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Every One Should have one at home, February 17, 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book one month ago. I read through it. It just like a treasure for the life to me. I do jucing follow the recipes from the book. My stomach problems go away. The more I jucing the more energetic I have. Thanks to the author for such excellent book!

Complete Book of Juicing:  Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality
Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality by Michael T. Murray (Paperback - August 26, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01