5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sushi Book I Own
I own about 13 different sushi books and this is by far the very best. They break down every element of sushi creation. Great photos - very helpful. The recipes are soo very creative and unique to all the other books. It changed the way I look at presenting and preparing sushi, and has helped stretch my imagination and creativity in my own sushi dishes.
Published on April 5, 2005 by ak40sushi

Published on February 1, 2011 by E. Genova

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sushi Book I Own, April 5, 2005
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basics with some things you probably haven't seen, November 15, 2004
Chris Chiquoine (Essex Jct, VT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
I own at least a dozen books on sushi and they tend to have a lot of overlap in recipes and information. I think this is one of the best and had quite a number of things which were to me new ideas. Great pictures and well organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily The Best Book On Sushi This Side Of The Rising Sun, December 20, 2005
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
Okay, I was going to add some faux-Japanese ambiance here by writing a haiku for my review but it's easier to get half credit by mentioning that I almost did. Moving along, this is as I said the best of several books I've read on the art of making sushi. Not only is the technique of creating sushi carefully explained, but the history of how this most lovely of culinary art forms came about is covered in copious detail. The illustrations here showcase what a master sushi chef can achieve as far as presentation, and of course no effort is spared by the authors in proclaiming the simple truth that sushi is one of the most delicious foods in existence. I have no idea why it took so long for the appreciation of sushi to infiltrate American culture but thank goodness it's finally here. Now that it is, this book can take you to the next frontier, and that is your own personal liberation from the need for another person to prepare your sushi for you. With this book, you can make your own and do it for a fraction of the cost of buying it at a restaurant. It may not look as pretty at first, but umm, it'll be tasty. Yes, it takes confidence to take up the bamboo rolling screen that initial time, but trust me, you can do it and this patient how-to book will get you through from dream to presentation. Soon you'll be serving sushi at every gathering and your friends, co-workers and relatives-by-marriage will be just plain amazed. "Why this sushi thing isn't disgusting at all!" your significant other's Great Aunt Minnie will proclaim while you blush with pride. I seriously liked this book and have bought two more copies to give out to friends this Christmas season. Anything I can do to proliferate the embracing of sushi--metaphorically speaking--by the US public I'll gladly do. I hope after reading The Complete Book Of Sushi, you feel the same. What's left to say? Well, get this book. It's good and it's the one you've been looking for. Trust me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, but it may be of interest to others, February 1, 2011
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
I read some reviews before buying this book, and they were positive. The book is certainly nice looking, with lots of pictures, and instructions. it has history to it, a glossary at the end, overall it is not bad. I PERSONALLY ended up returning it because the recipes were not what I was looking for. This book is great if you are into vegetarian-style sushi, I would say. The majority of the recipes here do not have fish in them, so if you are looking for classic-sushi recipes, this is NOT the book for you. The few rolls or other recipes with fish in it were as basic as you can imagine only using salmon or tuna, sometimes shrimp. The types of rolls, sashimi, nigiri, and other plates you find here are very "Westerner" in their ingredients, and very much vegetarian. Still, the combinations did look interesting I must say, but not what I wanted. I wanted a book with lots of recipes with fish, seafood, etc, and this is not it. Again, my review is not to say that this is not a good book, but rather a different book than the classic sushi recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Was Looking For, February 17, 2006
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
This book is perfect. Perfect for the beginner, and perfect for the sushi chef. Each recipe has a color picture to inspire you, and detailed directions.

Covers sushi ingredients, fish buying tips, sauce recipes, and TONS of sushi recipes. It even goes into soups and beverages.

THE sushi cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect!, January 20, 2007
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
Because my fiance had always talked about learning to make sushi, I bought this for him for Christmas. After reading just a few pages of this book, he was making fantastic sushi by the next day! And now that he has some skills down, there is plenty more in the book to challenge him. This is a great book for beginners and beyond!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sushi, February 23, 2006
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
Very nice book, very colorful well explained receipts, and big format.Probably the best one on Sushi around...

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is indeed complete!, December 26, 2007
I bought this book for my sushi-loving-husband as a Christmas gift so that he can make his own sushi. This book is a great investment for the sushi lover. The author's recipes are complete and her directions for making sushi are impeccable.
Especially helpful were her directions for making sushi rice - it came out beautifully! She provides instructions for making perfect rice whether you have a rice cooker or not. This was especially valuable because you do not need "special" rice for making sushi (I've seen so-called sushi rice in grocery stores for ridiculous prices!).
The most difficult part of the process for us was rolling the sushi. She explains how to do this very clearly.
Overall a great book with gorgeous pictures and helpful directions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy-Crap-Ton This book is amazing!, April 26, 2007
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
Details tools used, spices used, meats used, misc ingredients used.. and even has pictures of it all! I bought this book knowing absolutely NOTHING about sushi, but now I feel pretty darn confident! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't get much more COMPLETE, January 11, 2007
This review is from: The Complete Book of Sushi (Hardcover)
This really is a stunning book. The photos are worth the price of admission.You might want to look at it on your way to your local sushi bar though because trust me - that is where you will be going after you read it!

The nouvelle makizushi petrified me though. I don't want proscuitto in my sushi - no way, no how! There are just some combinations that should never be made. Not even for art.

I buy many books on cuisine and especially sushi and Japanese food and this is one of the absolute BEST.

The Complete Book of Sushi
The Complete Book of Sushi by Ryuichi Yoshii (Hardcover - September 15, 2004)
$29.95 $19.94