Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on December 9, 2002
(please note that this review concerns only the new publications)
The Chronicles of Narnia are perfect books. They are wonderful for children and adults, and can be read again and again. C. S. Lewis was a brilliant author and theologian, and was competent in what he was doing. I have been reading these books since I was young enough to pick up a book, and I was horrified when I found out they were reprinting them in chronological order! Why have the publishers decided to tamper with the order? reading these books in chronological order spoils all of the surprise and magic out of the first visit to Narnia (in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe), because we already know what's going on. You're not supposed to know about the lightpole or who the professor is yet! Things don't always need to be put in chronological order. If you're going to read them, please read them in the correct order: 1) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, 2) Prince Caspian, 3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, 4) The Silver Chair, 5) The Horse and His Boy, 6) The Magician's Nephew, and 7) The Last Battle
2626 comments| 3,480 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2011
I love the stories and bought this books to read with my kids in the future. It's a very good family collection to own. My 3 stars go to the quality of the product. The book is listed as new and the one I received, it way more than used. All edges are already white and scratched. the pages were turned and some even look like they got wet. I was very upset but my Husband was right when he pointed the returns policy will take way too long and it's always a pain. If it wasn't for myself I would definitely return it.
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2006
I wholeheartly agree with the C. N. White "neilicus107" review below. I give this product 2 stars because of form, rather than substance.

It was a bit of a travesty to see this kind of revisionist-ordered set of books start popping up.

When the books were originally published, they were not numbered. The first American publisher, Macmillan, put numbers on the books in the order in which they were first published.

When HarperCollins took over the series, however, the books were renumbered using the internal chronological order, as suggested by Lewis's stepson, Douglas Gresham.

As a fan of the series who dearly appreciates the original order, I believe that Lewis could have changed the first published order of books in his lifetime -- had he so desired. However, he did not do so. The books were originally published as follows:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian(1951)
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. The Magicians Nephew(1955)
7. The Last Battle (1956)

Please, read them in the order of the *original* 1950's publication, not the order they are presented in this product(and most other new sets). It's simply the wrong way to get through Narnia; you will get more out of the books reading them as they were originally intended by the author, and it is the most balanced way to read and appreciate the stories themselves.
on November 21, 2001
The two-star rating is most emphatically *not* against Lewis's writing--the books are utterly and completely fabulous.
This particular presentation, however, is hideous. Lewis wrote the seven books in a particular order on purpose--the first was _The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe_, _The magician's nephew_ was intended as the sixth in the series. (There are other titles that were placed in a different order than this particular set, too.) Apparently, though, the publisher thought that the fact that this runs out of chronological order would be too confusing for readers, and so changed the order around. By doing this, the publisher ruined some of the effect of reading the series in its proper order.
on January 3, 2011
The editorial review states that this book is an "elegant leatherbound edition." This is a baldfaced lie. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT NOT NOT LEATHER!

I don't know if you know what "bonded leather" means, but I didn't when I bought this book (but I do know what "leatherbound" means, and that is "leather"). I was thinking something like "embossed leather." Well, "bonded leather" literally means "fake leather." I personally find the use of the word "leather," never mind "leatherbound," when describing something other than leather misleading and deceptive. And that's how I feel about this book using the terms "bonded leather" and "leatherbound." It sounds like it's bound in leather and that appealed to me since I was looking for an heirloom version to cherish for decades.

This book's binding is merely nice. Nothing more than that. And certainly not genuine leather. Clearly mass-produced with bits of cover gold missing, etc. and could never be confused for Franklin Mint or any type of specialty product. There is no way in the world you will think this cover any form whatsoever of real leather. It's in no way shape or form collectible and will never appreciate in value. Alas, my search for a REAL leatherbound The Chronicles Of Narnia continues.

For $20ish it would be a solid value. For $30ish, it's up to you if you feel a nice NON-leather cover is worth the money.

Aside from leather and collectibility, it is a nice book and the cover is pretty and the book is presented in the non-chronological "reading order" for this series.
review image
1212 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2009
Political correctness strikes again at Scholastic. Book 7 (The Last Battle) is the most obviously evangelical book, so Scholastic left it out.
Otherwise, a reasonably well done version of one of the greatest fiction series ever written. I'd stick with the 1976 version or the recent one. They've got all the books, and the books themselves are better built.
on December 31, 2010

This book's binding is merely nice. Nothing more than that. And certainly not genuine leather. Clearly mass-produced with bits of cover gold missing, etc. and could never be confused for Franklin Mint or any type of specialty product. There is no way in the world you will think this cover any form whatsoever of real leather. It's in no way shape or form collectible and will never appreciate in value. Alas, my search for a REAL leather-bound The Chronicles Of Narnia continues.

review image review image
on July 7, 2015
Reading these volumes to my children was wonderful. Listening to this reader read the same volumes is painfully, sugary-sweet and boring. If you want to fall asleep, buy this.

The way he pronounces Aslan is almost obscene.
on January 4, 2016
I bought the set of books for my kids because of the description that falsely said the following:"To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the world's earliest glimpse into the magical land of Narnia in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Pauline Baynes, the first illustrator of C.S. Lewis's enchanting creatures and remarkable landscapes, has hand painted her original black-and-white pictures for a beautiful new full-color collection of all seven volumes in the Chronicles of Narnia series.". The fact is there are no color illustrations in this book at all.
on July 4, 2016
I read these books many years ago and bought them for my daughter when she was young. I purchased this set for my granddaughter but I was extremely disappointed to find that they switched the order of the books. I think this significantly changes the experience of reading them. I prefer to have them in the order in which they were published. In order to do that i had to go to eBay and find a used set.