5.0 out of 5 stars Watercolor Beauty
When I think of watercolor, my mind wanders to the past where we were in art class trying to paint a still life. What a pity my teacher didn't have this book around. For some reason, I was always allowed to leave art class and go to the library where they felt I could be more useful. I guess I've been recently trying to "renew" my interest in drawing and painting...
Published on January 13, 2003 by Rebecca of Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars A good guide but too much information....
This is a good guide for the beginning watercolor artist...but I hesitate to give it more than 3 stars, simply because there is too much information and it is a tad overwhelming.

The book is divided into:

Materials
Techniques
Color
Lanscapes
Still Life

There is adequate information as to appropriate tools and there is...
Published on May 22, 2008 by Frank N. Beans

5.0 out of 5 stars Watercolor Beauty, January 13, 2003
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)

There are just so many expenses when it comes to "art" projects. So, watercolor is a nice way to get your feet wet again.

Some great hints:

1. Stretching Watercolor Paper
2. Toning Paper - Gives your art a nice color background
3. How to use a sponge to soften details.
4. Letting each layer dry before building up the colors.
5. Expert Color Mixing Techniques.
6. How to Frame your art.

You will also learn interesting things about paintings of the past. How they mixed in egg yolk to make the pigment a stronger medium. Giovanna Garzoni's Still Life with a Bowl of Cherries looks tempting or you could just start by making a sketch of apples and cherries and coloring them in.

The "Gallery" sections feature works by artist like Philip O'Reilly, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, June Berry, Sue Sareen, Winslow Homer, Philip Fraser and Paul Cezanne.

Contents:

Materials: Pain brushes, Brushmarks, Other Marks, Gallery of Brushstrokes, Paper, Stretching and Toning, Gallery of Paper.

Techniques: Ways of working, capturing an Image, Composition, Drawing, Laying a Wash, Washes, Gallery of Washes, Tone and Color, Building up Layers, Sponging Out, Scratching Out, Resist Techniques, Using Gouache, Gallery of Techniques.

Color: The Language of Color, Color Mixing, Gallery of Limited Color, Warm and Cool Color, Complementary Color, Gallery of Complementaries, Color Influence, Exploring Composition, Harmonious Color, Gallery of composition, High-key Color, High-key Still Life, Low-key Color, Low-key Interior, Gallery of Light, Warm Summer Light, Cool Autumn Light, Gallery of Atmosphere, Expressive Color, Portrait Study, Color and Pattern, Pattern in Landscape, Gallery of Pattern and Shape, Abstract Color, Gallery of Abstracts.

Landscapes: Getting Started, Venturing Outside, Monochrome Study, Monochrome Gallery, Receding Color, Limited Color, Effective complementaries, Gallery of Trees, color Unity, Gallery of Light, Creating Atmosphere, Skies Gallery, Sketching Buildings, Painting the City, Gallery of Buildings, Sketching Water, Painting Water, Sketching Figures, Toward Abstraction, Abstract Landscape, Abstract Gallery.

Still Life: Introduction, Gallery of Colorists, Making Sketches, The Working Studio, Creating a Composition, Selection vs Inspiration, Seashore, gallery of composition, Light and Form, Tonal Painting, Creating Form and Tone, Negative Space, Gallery of Perception, Transparent Painting, Opaque Painting, Gallery of Paint Types, Day and Night, Special Effects, Gallery of Effects, Presenting Your work.

This is really a comprehensive introduction to Watercolor painting. All you need to get started is a small watercolor box, water, a couple of brushes and a pad of paper. If you follow the basic guidelines, you can achieve a surprising degree of expertise in a relatively short time.

Highly Recommended.

Techniques
Color
Lanscapes
Still Life

There is adequate information as to appropriate tools and there is good information on color and brushmarks. However, there is too little instruction and the instruction that is given, is not always clear. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if there was less information on some of the more advanced techniques and more instruction on the basics. I also felt that the format of the book could have been better- there seems to be simply too much squeezed onto each page.

However, I'd still recommend this to anyone interested in watercolor though I'd suggest checking it out of your local library as opposed to purchasing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best "How To" Book, November 29, 2005
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
Given to me by a friend when I just discovered watercoloring, I had high hopes for this book. It's nice to leaf through, with a wide range of beautiful color plates that can be the source of inspiration. But its "step-by-step" descriptions of various techniques are frustratingly unclear.

I'm on the hunt for another.

5.0 out of 5 stars This gift was a hit!, January 1, 2009
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my mother. She has been an artist since she was very young. Her usual medium is oils, but since she retired last year she has gone back to doing other things. She recently started working in watercolors again. She thought this book was wonderful and filled with very useful information. I am sure the moment we all cleared out of her house, after the holidays, she got the paints out and went to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete Guide to Watercolor by DK, August 15, 2012
marijacalyn (Dunlap, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
I originally bought this book for myself in a bookstore. It was the perfect tutorial for a beginning watercolor artist! I ordered a second copy of it from amazon and had it shipped directly to my daughter, who has always had an artistic bent. Having already seen my copy, she was thrilled to receive her own! I highly recommend it for it's ease of use and clarification of techniques, especially for novices like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book purchase!, January 4, 2011
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
This is my FIRST PURCHASE from Amazon, can you believe it? I shopped locally for art books and someone suggested Amazon. I got the book for $2.75 ****** yeah I love a great deal. I will shop here again(:
Painterlyperson

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, May 24, 2009
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
"The Complete Guide to Watercolor" is in the library of the school in which I work. Therefore I was familiar with the book. It is excellent in contents and the condition is also excellent. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 12, 2014
OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, great, July 9, 2014
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Watercolor (Paperback)
Great, great, great book!! This book was purchased as a gift & was greatly appreciated.
So much material is covered and with excellent illustrations. I am so very pleased that I chose this as a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY THOROUGH BOOK ON WATERCOLOR, March 12, 2014
tHIS IS A BOOK FOR BEGINNERS AS WELL AS SERIOUS WATERCOLORISTS
IT COVERS JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF THAT DEALS WITH THE
SUBJECT - FROM MATERIALS TO A BRIEF HISTORY OF FAMOUS WC ARTISTS
BEAUTIFULLY ORGANIZED AND PRESENTED/ EVERY ONE CAN BENEFIT FROM
THIS BOOK

The Complete Guide to Watercolor
The Complete Guide to Watercolor by Ray Smith (Paperback - July 1, 2002)
$20.00 $14.04