5.0 out of 5 stars Google Chrome Help
This book has been a great help to me in moving to the Google Chrome browser.
This browser does not have a menu bar at the top of the screen so that you don't initially know how to get things done. Nor is it intuitive. Nor can I find a complete manual on how to use it. The big benefit of having no menu bar is that you have more desktop space.
This book has 3...
Published on October 17, 2011 by Paul Berger

2.0 out of 5 stars good for chrome browser, bad for chrome os
The book was good for using the Chrome browser and using the Google app suite. It didn't assume background knowledge and even explained what the cloud is. Why did I rate it so low you ask? I picked up this book because there is a dearth of info on the Chrome OS. I did learn a little like you use your google password to sign into the chrome OS computer.

I...
Published on June 18, 2011 by Jeanne Boyarsky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Google Chrome Help, October 17, 2011
Paul Berger (melbourne australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Google Chrome and Chrome OS (Paperback)
This book has been a great help to me in moving to the Google Chrome browser.
This book has 3 main parts.
Part 1 is a general introduction.
Part 2 - Taking Chrome Browser for a Spin - has 3 chapters:
Chapter 3 - Browsing the web with Chrome is ever so clear and gives you the start you need.
Chapter 4 - Customizing Chrome and
Chapter 5 - Surfing with a Net: Security and Privacy
The rest of the book is Part 3 for users of Google Docs, Gmail, Google Reader, Google Calendar, Google Maps and Picasa Web Photo Albums.
A major advantage of Chrome is that whatever you type in the address bar immediately also accesses Google Search. This saves you a lot of time and aimless wandering.
It is a great browser and I have now made it my default browser.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD GUIDE FOR THE BASICS, July 29, 2011
This easy to understand book covers all the basics of Chrome - and then some. Definitely worth purchasing if you want to master the best browser out there! It's full of little tips and secrets that I had no idea about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A manual to the future of computing, June 9, 2011
Reading this book a good way to understand what is roaring down the pike. Turns out the future is already here and you don't have to wait for Google Chrome laptops to experience it. The Chrome browser will get you on the cloud right now and help you understand what is going on. Read this well written and clear book to get started today. It's a manual to the future of computing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Google Chrome & Chrome OS info, November 25, 2011
Auntie Em "Em" (Lake Charles, LA USA) - See all my reviews
If you want to know more about using Chrome this book is a good resource. It shows you how things look on your screen when you click on an icon or a tab, walks you through menus, etc. The Chrome OS updates itself so there may be some things in this book that are no longer current, or you may have a different version, such as the version I have with Logitech's Revue Companion Box with Google's Smart TV. But I find it very helpful because it provides definitions and explanations that I can't always find with Google Search. I'm still reading the book, but I find myself saying, "Oh...THAT'S what it's for..."

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, May 21, 2012
Comprehensive account of how to use Chrome OS and primary Google products. Doesn't pretend to be an under-the-hood manual; but provides everything you need to know to get up and running in these products.

2.0 out of 5 stars good for chrome browser, bad for chrome os, June 18, 2011

I was surprised at some basics being omitted like you can get a google account by going to your local library (rather than having to ask a friend.) A major thing I felt was missing was how to get online. It says you use wifi. Which is true. But my home wifi requires a key to be entered to connect and I didn't see anything in that space.

The Google app information covers the basics which is good and leaves out some "online only" features. Excel can't create a web form, but Google can and that is awesome.

I was originally thinking of rating the book as a 3. The reason I went lower isn't fair to the author. Google released the ChromeBook concept this week which runs Chrome OS directly. This means more people will be looking for basics from a Chrome OS perspective and the book doesn't cover the ChromeBook. I recognize that the ChromeBook didn't exist when the book was written which is why I say the review isn't fair to the author. If the ChromeBook is successful, it will affect future readers of the book which is why I harp on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good as a reference but kind of dull for any other reason., July 16, 2013
I ordered this book more as a reference than a read through. I have found it to be an excellent resource volume when used as a problem solving tool. I did not rate it higher since, in my mind, the purpose of the rating system is to compare one volume to another and it seems to be a bit unfair to compare books intended strictly for enjoyment to those which are intended for problem solving. But, when used as I do it is a good aid especially for those of us who are not programmers and the like but do want to enjoy and utilize our machines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives Good Basic info on How to Use Chrome, July 15, 2013
I had been using Internet Explorer for forever, but needed to update and couldn't get either IE9 or IE10 to load on my desktop. So I had to get Google Chrome, and figure out how to use it asap. This book fit the bill, giving good, basic advice. I can't say how good it is though for someone sho wants/needs something more in depth.

3.0 out of 5 stars OUT DATED, May 26, 2013
This book had lots of good information, and I thought I was going to be able to get a jump on the game while I waited for my Chromebook to arrive. When it did arrive, I discovered the book's information was way out of date, and a lot of it's illustrations, and instructions were no longer current with the current state of Chrome OS. I had to stop reading the book a quarter of the way through, a just explore the OS on my own, and watch as many of the latest youtube videos as I could.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected. It doesn't really relate to my computer., March 21, 2013
It doesn't really help that much. Need more of an explanation of Chromebook Laptop. Should have ordered a book based solely on Samsung Chromebook.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Google Chrome and Chrome OS
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Google Chrome and Chrome OS by Paul McFedries (Paperback - August 3, 2010)
Used & New from: $15.67