5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous, helpful guide
Published on May 31, 2002 by John Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Idiot is An Accurate and Descriptive Title
From chapter eleven to the conclusion, this book contains some very useful techniques for managing the mass of data that threatens to strangle our existence. Unfortunately, in the first chapters, the author quanitifies getting the most from every minute in strictly monetary terms. All activities which can be done by lesser beings (those who make less per hour than you)...
Published on January 11, 1998 by p205cw@gte.net

5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous, helpful guide, May 31, 2002
John Thomas (Paterson, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Time (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
I just finished the 3rd edition of MYT, and was quite impressed. I haven't seen the first two editions, but this one certainly fills the bill, if you're looking for solutions to time-pressure problems. That the book is funny, is a real bonus. It makes it easier to get through every chapter. I found the section found "Thinking Your Way Out of Timetraps" to be the best part of the book. After all, much of what we face on a daily basis is self-induced. You can blame your boss, you can blame other people, but when you really get honest with yourself, as you learn in the book, most of the time pressure you feel is a result of your own activities and beliefs. Do yourself a favor and get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, far superior to others on this subject, March 21, 2003
Dennis Payne (Hot Springs, AR) - See all my reviews
I encountered the Dummy's version of Time Management and was of disappointed. It seemed like it was just one ad after and another for the various products that the author was touting. The Idiot's version of Time Management in comparison is devoted to the reader. I didn't detect that the author had any affiliations with any products or services, and even if he does, it doesn't come through in these pages. Instead, I encountered one chapter after another of sound logic, action steps, and encouragement. If the book is lacking in any area it would be on using technology to enhance your use of time. But, you can always make the argument that tools of technology change so fast, that such discussion is better handled in newspaper and magazine articles anyways. The bottom line, this is an excellent book on time management and certainly worth the time it takes to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing Your Time is easy to read, and REALLY helpful, September 20, 2002
This is the best of all the time management books. For one, the author is a bonafide expert, having written several books tangential to the topic. The advice in here is very solid. Chapter after chapter, tip after tip, there is much that would benefit any reader, anywhere. The pace of society doesn't seem to be slowing down, and as the author says, it is up to each of us individually to carve out space and time we need to live the kind of life that we desire. This book is easy to read, fun to read, and ultimately, has lasting impact. You can only read it in byte size amounts like the author says, it will still work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly recommend it!, November 27, 1999
As a young adult, I am learning to juggle various aspects of my life such as work, socialising, outside commitments etc. This book has helped me understand what is truly important & what time wasting habits can & should be discarded. I must say that I am enjoying life far more now. This is truly a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally managing my time wisely!, January 21, 2005
SusanMcG (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I was pleasantly surprised. At first I thought this was going to be a too light treatment to a topic that's important to me. Even though the author does take a humorous approach, I guess the whole series of idiot's guides takes a humorous approach, nevertheless, I found the tips to be hard hitting and practical. If I had this earlier in my career I might have saved a whole lot of time on stuff that for all practical purposes was a waste of time.

I don't know why the previous reader gave such a bad review, I think they were talking about another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book, June 3, 1998
By A Customer
I have a number of books on the topic of time management and lots of them ask me to do things that take too much time.! This book avoids long lists of stuff I'm "supposed' to do, and instead offers down-to-earth, here's what you can do now type of recommendations. Personally, I bought several copies of this book and gave it out as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing Your Time, December 11, 2012
Managing Your Time is a very useful book that addresses the real problems which most of us face in everyday life concerning our busy schedules. The solutions are workable and doable. I found this book to be very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be An Idiot, December 26, 2008
Excellent publication. Most Idiot's guides are written for the people who buy them. This book actually has practical and novel advice. Money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handling a Complex Issue, July 11, 1998
By A Customer
I thought this was pretty good handling of a rather complex issue - how to control the time in your life when as the author explains, so much is competing for it. I like the fact that this book is an easy read. Each chapter only takes about 10 or 12 minutes. Also, I though a lot of the charts were helpful. I would have liked to have seen a section on what to do is you're chained to a beeper, and maybe a chapter on time management for new parents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have Energy, Can Manage., March 23, 2007
I was browsing at the library when this book caught my eye. For several months I had felt Tired, to the point I was starting to get depressed about it. It was beginning to interfere with everything I did.

This book lists symptoms of not enough sleep and dehydration- now I'm sure I was suffering from both. Also listed were lots of good tips for getting more sleep. (I figured out how to drink more water by myself.) :) This is pretty basic, but so helpful! After all, a perfectly prioritized schedule is worthless if you don't have the energy to do your tasks.

Once you get your engine started, the author helps you feel a sense of accomplishment everyday by striking a dynamic bargain with yourself-

"What would it take for me to feel good about ending work on time today?"

He helps you determine long-term goals and break them down into plans with built in rewards and vacations. This is a good thing to know how to do. In the book, Get Hired Now! A 28-Day Program for Landing the Job You Want, a study is mentioned involving the 1979 Harvard MBA program. Students were asked, "Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?"

3% had written goals and plans

13% had goals, but not in writing

84% had no specific goals at all

10 years later...

the 13% who had goals were earning TWICE as much as the 84% who had no goals. The 3% who had clear, written goals were earning TEN times as much as the other 97% put together.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Time outlines how to do what the 3% were doing.

I only give this 4 stars because I was perfectly happy to take 2 pages of notes and return it to the library- not something I'll reference frequently enough to buy, but still, a helpful book.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Time (3rd Edition)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Time (3rd Edition) by Jeffrey P. Davidson (Paperback - December 28, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.01