5.0 out of 5 stars This book renewed my interest in drums
Published on July 26, 2009 by Jinglehiemer Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginner
Just want to take a chance and let any of you consider before buying it. It's a great book for beginner who want to learn about drum ( seriously!). But if you been playing or learning about drum more than a year, you are going to see a lot of info that you have learned. Hope this will useful for any of you!
Published 5 months ago by kee Reh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book renewed my interest in drums, July 26, 2009
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
At a later stage in life (31) I decided I wanted to pickup an interest that I had in high school but never fully explored. So I started taking drum lessons. My instructor charged $50 an hour but he taught me as if I already knew a lot about drumming. To his credit, he was a studio instructor and was used to critiquing "real" drummers in bands. I got to a point where his teaching style was simply incompatible with my knowledge level, and it was frustrating to both of us. So I stopped taking lessons, and got this book.

This book continues to teach me everything I wanted to know but didn't have time to ask my instructor. It filled in the gaps that probably would have taken dozens of expensive lessons. I am the kind of person who has to know everything about something in order to learn it, I can't just "go with the flow" and learn the bare minimum while being ignorant to a lot of details.

If that's how you are, then this book is for you. This book outshines its own "idiot's guide" series, as it should stand on its own merits.

You will not regret this book, if you are truly interested in learning drumming in a beginner friendly but complete way.

I plan to go back to the instructor after I'm done with this and see if he's still useful to me afterward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, January 13, 2009
I have been playing for over 15 years... not that that truly means much, but i like to think that i am pretty well trained. I give lessons, do studio sessions, play in multiple groups with a broad range of diversities, etc. With that being said, this book has really brought me back to my foundation! As a long time percussionist, I have really developed my own style and sound. However, this book has successfully reacquainted me with a number of things that I have either forgot about or just simply missed in my early development stages. As i have worked through this book on my own and with my students, i have been surprised at how easy it is to follow! This book was truly written for a beginner to understand each aspect of "playing" or a drummer stuck in his ways like myself to brush up on some old tricks! Recommended for every level of playing!

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good book, December 14, 2005
I got this book becuase I was going to start giving drum lessons to my friend. I wanted to find out if I knew what I should teach him. This book taught me pretty much everything that I needed to teach him. I think every aspect of drumming is covered in it. It's a very good tool for any aspiring drummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be an idiot after reading this book, November 25, 2010
I played music in school for almost eight years and went through a phase where I thought I was going to be the next Buddy Rich. If I had had this book back then, my chances would have increased dramatically (the advice about practicing using a pillow was worth the purchase price.) The book is easily read, which I guess accounts for saying it's for "idiots"; however, what's inside could take the rest of your life to master. Aside from all the info on the instruments themselves and how to set them up, the exercises on sticking, reading music, even just plain learning how to count out the beat have proven to consume more hours than I thought I had. Maybe I'm uncoordinated (or just getting old) but I would challenge any drummer (except maybe the consumate professional) to sit and play through all of these exercises and not mess up. This book is serious and if you're serious about playing well and developing technique, you'll dog-ear your copy just like me. As an aside, I highly recommend the use of a metronome while practicing. Are there any negatives about this book? A few. Mr. Miller does a reasonable job describing drum tuning but never mentions what drum to tune first (floor tom on a five piece kit from what I've been told) and the audio CD, although it does contain all the exercises and a couple of tunes, is not easily navigated in picking a specific exercise. What would have been nice is for the publisher to include digital pictures of the practice bars for display on your computer so you wouldn't be trying to prop the book open on a music stand. Although I haven't yet made it there myself, my prediction is that by the time you get through all the material in this book, you'll be one heck of a drummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 1, 2008
Awesome book!

First of all it has some great info about buying drums, price ranges, brands, etc. Very good resource there.
Second, lots of "getting started" topics for the beginner drummer.
This book really is a must for anyone starting drumming. My only complaint, i wish there was more sheet music within the book, but that is a small negative when compared to the huge amount of info in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who still dream of drumming someday, January 11, 2009
I got his for my husband for Christmas and he loved this book! He said it is the best book on drumming he has ever seen. He is a librarian, so he has seen a lot of them. It got him inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that every drummer needs!, July 8, 2008
You have a rare treat in store when you get this book. The author is a professional writer who is also an accomplished drummer. What you get is writing as polished as anything ghostwritten, backed up with serious knowledge and passion. This is a great book to get you started and keep you going a long way. I'd suggest getting this book, and Tommy Igoe's Getting Started On Drums-Setting Up - Start Playing DVD DVD for anyone just starting to play drums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, October 30, 2011
Great book. I drummed in school for a while and this book helped reteach all of the basics and then some. Very easy to comprehend and I love the Latin drumming exercises and the rudiments. I am not too crazy about he last 2 chapters with the interviews. If I had my way I would have left the interviews out and added more drumming content etc... but that is just me. Nevertheless the book is still packed full of "must learn" exercises and rudiments. The only issue is ..... I bought the book from a seller here in Amazon. I neglected to see if the disc was included. It wasn't. I contacted Penguin Books see if the sold replacement discs but they don't. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I would rather not have to purchase the book again for $16.00 and then have 2 copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best for newbies, June 19, 2011
Kudos to Michael for this volume (and all his others) . . . a great intro plus lots of material to use and practice long after one becomes a star (well, not me, but the reader of this!). Clear explanations, great examples. Would have given it six stars if the CD was a tad easier to navigate, but, alas, that is really just a limitation of such technology (vs. MP3, etc.). Michael's next book should be Guide to Playing Snare . . . a close-up on the core kit element (he's already got percussion and much more covered). A+ . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, December 27, 2008
Even though I started playing drums since 10, I highly recommend this book for people who haven't played, or people that haven't played for years...It will get you back on track.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums, 2nd Edition
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums, 2nd Edition by Michael Miller (Paperback - January 6, 2004)
$21.95 $16.37