5.0 out of 5 stars A great guitar instruction book to add to your library
Published on April 3, 2010 by M. D. Yoke

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
I haven't used this book very much. Hard to pin down the reason - I think that other books have a greater depth that have engaged me. But, I love David Hodge and his web site articles.
Published 22 months ago by immgr

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guitar instruction book to add to your library, April 3, 2010
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Rock Guitar (Paperback)
At the age of 42 I picked up a guitar with the serious intention of learning to play. It is now nearly six years later and I am still very much a student. The guitar, for me at least, is a fairly complicated instrument to play well. Also, there seems to be as many methods of learning guitar as there are teachers. I am a software engineer by trade, and my desire is to understand deeply why the guitar is built the way it is, and also, I want to understand enough music theory so that I can apply the guitar to create music on my own. I am not simply interested in memorizing chord charts and scale patterns.

I first stumbled upon David Hodge on the excellent Guitar Noise web site (...). In my opinion, he is an excellent teacher, and in fact it was through his lessons on Guitar Noise that I actually learned to play some actual songs. So, when I found out he was writing this book, I bought it the on the very first day it was available.

I haven't made it all the way through the book yet, but the material I have been through is excellent. In my opinion, this book is a very nice balance between readability, music theory, and guitar technique. Over the past six years, I have accumulated quite a few books in the quest of that 'eureka' moment where I can be like Neo and say "I know guitar". There are not many that really help that much in the quest. This book is an excellent addition to your library for your life-long mission of learning the guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All Abut The Techniques, December 8, 2010
I got this book after a few years of playing a strummy, campfire style of guitar - even on my electrics. I am a Rock fan first and foremost, so what I was playing didn't exactly match my preferences. Down, but not out, I eventually learned what it is that I NEEDED to learn. At that same time, this book jumped into my hands. Sure enough, it covered these techniques, and did so in simple enough fashion so that an old-timer like myself could follow along with ease.

The book is more than just a couple chapters on power chords and a Pentatonic scale. The author talks you through technique after technique in a non-song specific manner. At first I was a bit disapointed that I would not be learning "XX rock riffs" or "XX Rock Licks" as advertised on various websites. Instead he taught me the techniques to perform these "riffs" and "licks" I so often hear about. All of a sudden, a song like "La Grange" by ZZ Top or "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (or really, countless others) made sense to me. I took off running.

Fast forward 6 months. I find myself playing with a bass player a couple of times a month and we're playing everything from the older strummy style I was so used to, to the Rock jams I didn't think were possible for a long, long time. I've even taken a few simple solos during these sessions and could probably do more. What i didn't expect was that even my strummy style'd songs were vastly improved.

Lastly, his handling of theory is easy to read and understand. All books, big or small, must tackle music theory in some manner. It's part of the game. We play a music instrument. We play music. The Music we play isn't based on the oceans' tides or methane PPM in some dairy barn. It's based on the heavily-avoided-by-guitar-players music theory. He does an outstanding job of making the theory being taught relavant to the discussion's current topic whenever possible - which is often - and sometimes even has to tell you that what you just learned was actually some theory.

If you want to play Rock Guitar, Punk, Metal, some harder Country stuff, Blues or even some Jazz, you can do worse than to add this book to your tool box. After-all, techniques are more often shared between genres with the mildest of differences. after you'r done with the book, and this one I promise you that you will complete, it severs as a very handy reference.

Have fun on your Rock journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers the Essentials, October 23, 2010
I like the format of the book, as each chapter goes over one or two key techniques. Hodge writes in a conversational style, as if he were right there teaching you. There's a lot of text in each chapter, and you really need to read it to get the most out of the book, rather than just jumping from one tabbed-out example to another as many books do. I'm putting the lessons to the test, and have created a blog in which I'm going through one chapter at a time. Not sure if Amazon will let me post a link to it, but search blogspot for dBchronicle and you should find it (it's [...])

5.0 out of 5 stars diggin it, May 30, 2012
I'm a 50 year old lady who recently bought herself a left handed red electric guitar. I'm loving every minute of learning how to play. This book is helping me along the way. I like the conversational tone of the writing. I find it keeps my interest & keeps it fun. The CD is a nice bonus. Kudos to the author for mentioning the added thought processes left handed players encounter along the way. I'm enjoying learning the intricacies of the instument. I am thrilled with my accomplishments like moving back & forth between chords, and learning the first few lines of one of my favorite songs, House of the Rising Sun. Like I said, I'm diggin the fun and the book is helping me smile. Rock On!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Teaching Partner, June 13, 2012
I have been searching for a good guitar teaching method from the hundreds out there to choose from, and Dave Hodge's book helped me more that most other ones i tried. His book gives you the understanding of what you are doing and why. Plus the included CD really helped me figure out what i am doing is supposed to sound like! Dave's book helped fill in the missing details other teaching methods seem to leave out, and it has helped me become a more rounded player, even the musical theory end of things too. You can waste your money learning the guitar many different ways, but dave's book is really worth the money- Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and not for Idiots alone..., January 20, 2012
Sometimes when I see these "Complete Idiots guides.." books I laugh to myself.
"Who would want to buy this?" I usually say to myself.
Though after 20 minutes flipping through the book at a friends house I found myself ordering myself a copy.

It fills in a lot of things I sort of knew but never had a firm grasp on. David is a remarkable teacher and knows how to keep you engaged and make things fun.

It's really worth the price and highly recommended to beginners and non-beginners too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Guitar course, December 11, 2010
It says "Rock" in the title but the book covers most everything on learning to play the guitar through an intermediate level... it is great. All the basics are covered: exercises, theory, techniques. If you work through this book, then you should be able to play whatever you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read with in-depth information, November 22, 2013
Good all around information for beginners or anyone who wants to know about electric guitar and related equipment. I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars My main pre-purchase concerns turned out to be no problem..., May 24, 2013
First, as background, I have been playing bass for nearly 20 years. Believe it or not I have never even picked up an electric or acoustic guitar. A couple months ago I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to give guitar a shot. I bought one and absolutely love playing it.

This puts me in a weird situation when it comes to looking for guitar instruction books. I'm a total beginner on guitar, but I know how to read and I know theory and scales. Most beginner guitar books are very rudimentary for me. Usually it is late in the book before it gets to stuff I don't already know. That was my first concern before buying this book, particularly as it is a "Complete Idiot's" Guide.

Well, I'm happy to report that this book is definitely a worthy addition to my collection. I did have to mostly skip over the first couple chapters, but after that there was some very good and useful information.

I particularly like how the author deals with strumming. Most other books I've looked at deal with strumming from mostly an acoustic guitar perspective. That is, they teach you about strumming up and down over all the strings in the chord you are playing. However, I quickly learned with the electric guitar that you can't usually do that. You have to break up the chord into chunks and strum bits and pieces, particularly when distortion is involved. This prevents your rhythm playing from becoming a muddy mess.

Another thing I've disliked about other beginning rock guitar methods is that they seem to present only the basic power chords. Yes, power chords are a huge part of rock and this book points that out and gets you well trained in those. But they aren't the only thing. Fortunately this book deals with fuller chords as well. You just have to remember, as I stated above, not to strum them out in full when you have distortion turned on. The author even gets into ways to add nice ornamentations and spice to your rhythm playing. Kudos for this.

So I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to learn rock guitar, even if you are coming from another instrument with a knowledge of theory. If you are not the book still has you covered so fear not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 2, 2013
Great book, great price... Anyone can gain something from this. I have been playing off and on for years and always learn something new!

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Rock Guitar
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Rock Guitar by David Hodge (Paperback - March 2, 2010)
$22.95 $20.66
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.