5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent down to earth advice
Dr. Gliksman knows her stuff. This book offers advice in an easy to understand manner. The format of the book is great to find answers to questions. I recommend this book to anyone who is or will be pregnant in the future!!
Published on August 24, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars You're not an idiot, but the editor of this book might be.
Published on February 3, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars You're not an idiot, but the editor of this book might be., February 3, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth (Paperback)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, unfortunately, is a poorly-written and edited book. Although the information contained within is crucial, the author's writing skills need work. The text is often confusing and occasionally misleading. Occasionally, statements in the main pragraphs are contradictory to the factoid windows peppered on the same page. Likewise, important information found in the factoids are often missing from the main text. Sentences are often repeated in the same paragraph. Grammar is poor - for example, 'You're' and 'Your' are often mis-used. Frustratingly, a large number of grammar errors seem to have been addressed too hastily by the editor, which just makes matters worse.
While the book contains a wealth of useful information, it is a chore to read. Pregnancy is an important and busy time - no point wasting any trying to decipher poorly-written paragraphs.

2.0 out of 5 stars too condescending, February 25, 2004
By A Customer
OK - so its called the Idiots Guide, but who knew they would literally write it for the simpleminded? But before I go on to detail my problems with this book, I will say, the sections where they go week by week, detailing whats happening with the developing baby are good - nice illustrations and lists of development milestones. The section telling you what to expect at the doctors is good.
However - the diet and nutrition section - uugh! Here's an interesting "fact" - if you can cut something in half, it counts as two portions" huh? Or "did you know you can buy measuring cups in kitchen stores" - no, really? Then they also resort to the usual scare tactics - telling you that babies have been born "addicted to caffiene" - "it's true" and basically come up with a "reason" for cutting out practically all drinks but water. There's lots more but I think I've made my point.
I really dislike books that treat pregnancy as an illness. While expectant mothers should be aware of the new restrictions they face, most healthy people need make only relatively minor modifications during pregnancy, and don't need the added stress of worrying if they feel like a diet soda on occasion.
For a more relaxed view, try Vicki Iovines book, the Girlfriends Guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent down to earth advice, August 24, 1999
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars I used this book with my last two pregnancies, December 26, 2006
I really enjoyed this book and of all the books I bought during pregnancy, this is the one I referred to the most. I've even passed this book on to pregnant friends and recommended it to others as well. I've seen some of the other reviews here, and am wondering if we read the same book! It has wonderful information with humor and wit. It has a special section on complications that was easily paper-clipped together so as not to read and freak myself out unless I needed to refer to the section. It has helpful hints for the dad-to-be, and a fabulous reference list for everything from doulas to renting maternity clothes! If someone is basing their review on typos, which bug me incessantly, if you can overlook that (though I never found any myself, but maybe I was too excited about being pregnant) then this is a wonderful resource book. I also feel that people buying pregnancy books should take what they read in the books with a grain of salt, because your best resource during pregnancy should be your doctor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner book, August 11, 2013
Like the informative section on fetal development but wish it had more about labor. Overall, it appears to be a good book for people who know very little about fetal development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for young mothers...., January 6, 2013
marleana colon (San Clemete, California USA) - See all my reviews
I had this book when I had my 1st child and I remembered and repurchased it 13 years later for a young soon to be mother in our family. It is easy to follow if learning about Pregnancy and Childbirth for the first time. You can read in small sections and learn what you need to learn quickly. It reads like a magazine with short articles that will keep a young mom's attention long enough to get the information. I was a young mom and I really loved it, regardless any mother at any age would appreciate this reference guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor tone of voice, May 11, 2010
I bought this to help me through my first ever pregnancy. However, I couldn't even finish reading it. I have used other books in the "Complete Idiot's Guide" series, so I thought that this would work for me. However, I felt that the author was talking down to the reader. I would not recommend it unless you like being made to feel stupid for not knowing the things discussed in this book. However, I guess it does serve as a guide to pregnancy, so I guess if you feel like the author's tone of voice wouldn't bother you, then this isn't a terrible product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiots vs. Dummies, July 19, 2008
Phil Jorgensen (Humboldt Co, USA) - See all my reviews
Having just read back to back Pregnancy for Dummies and Idiots Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth. I thought I'd share some thoughts on one vs. the other, seeing as they are so similar.
Dummies good: Chronology of pregnancy process week by week. I am referencing this now as my friends are going through their pregnancies to get an idea of what they are going through at whatever week they are at. Goes over common pregnancy myths.
Dummies bad: "Daddy Alerts" totally belittling of men. No discussion of mother/parents relationship stability or network. No mention of home pregnancy tests.
Idiots good: More information in more detail. Just simply covers more ground. Also has week by week chronology section, it's just not wholly structured that way as Dummies is.
Idiots bad: Same absence of relationship/network or over the counter tests.
Hope this helps someone along in comparing the two. If someones attention span is shorter go for Dummies. If you want a little more detail, Idiots is better. The Mayo Clinic guide seems to be the most highly praised overall pregnancy book out there, and I'll get one for reference, but as a cover to cover book, I wasn't that brave. Both of these are decent for what they are, intros for the clueless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this book, February 9, 2008
I'm 16 weeks pregnant and my husband and I have been reading this book together from the very start. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and down to earth book, May 9, 2002
By A Customer
This book tells you all - from insurance to first weeks of your baby.
I and my husband both are very happy with this book.
It provides summaries, key points etc. which makes it easier to get to the core of the issue/problem in mind.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth by Michele Isaacs Gliksman (Paperback - June 14, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01