5.0 out of 5 stars Thank-you Brent Peterson
Not that many years away from retirement, I starting thinking about traveling & not having to get a cat sitter each time. Hmm, makebe I could take them with me - maybe an RV would be the answer. In this book, Peterson even says a lot of people got started in RVing for that exact reason.

I read the whole book cover-to-cover in a few sittings. There is a lot of...
Published on September 4, 2006 by Chaya

2.0 out of 5 stars A too "Light" read
Published on November 24, 2010 by J. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank-you Brent Peterson, September 4, 2006
Chaya (La Jolla, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 2nd Edition (Paperback)

I read the whole book cover-to-cover in a few sittings. There is a lot of information, but it's not overwhelming because the writing is easy to read, and Peterson is funny - lots of sly humor snuck in in very unsuspecting places. I would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about buying an RV for the first time. It may not be the ultimate "bible" for using RVs as someone complained, but it has so much information about what to look for in an RV, how to bargain with the salesman, what it's like to go on your first trip, etc., it's a great introduction.

The book was so detailed, it convinced me - I'm not cut out for it. For the price of this book, I've saved over $60k!

I won't sell the book just yet or totally abandon the idea, and I might still go to a few RV shows as he suggests, just to make sure it's not for me. This book is for you if you are also someone who knows nothing at all about the topic but think it might be fun. And if you are better at paying attention to all the little details RVing entails, he will probably convince you in the opposite direction!

2.0 out of 5 stars A too "Light" read, November 24, 2010
Disappointed. I was expecting more detail and specfics. It seems as if each new chapter or aspect of RV'ing was introduced as if it was going to expain everything you needed to know, but then only provided the highlights without giving you a complete picture. For example, Chapter 12 covered plumbing systems in 13 pages with items discussed in no more than one or two paragraphs. If you like 378 pages of puff and jokes you may like it. I wanted more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass On This One!!, December 30, 2007
Don't waste your time on this book. The author spends way too much time tring to be funny and cute. Very little usefull information at all. Try the RV'ers Bible. A much better book. Well written with lots of good information. Again, Pass On This One!

4.0 out of 5 stars richard book review, June 15, 2012
I enjoyed this book, I am a new to RV ing and this book helped explain some of the situations that I can find in my travels, the downside of this book is that it does not go into detail about anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't feel like a Complete Idiot about RV's anymore!, December 16, 2011
I decided to switch to the RV lifestyle without much knowledge of the logistics. After I bought my new home (1978 Mobile Traveler) I decided it was time to learn the basics. This guide is an easy read, full of all the fundamentals of how every aspect of RVing works without getting too technical. I got out my hi-lighters and read it cover to cover in a day. Totally worth it. I learned how my RV works, problems to look for, and so much more. It gave me the confidence that I knew what I was doing, even made me brave enough to test my propane system and turn on my stove for the first time. I keep it around as a handy reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, December 11, 2011
Awesome book great information. For a first timer all the hints and suggestions are wonderful. A great purchase indeed, money well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars no complaints, July 15, 2011
We are just starting out exploring hitting the road. We weren't looking for too much info....and this book delivered what we needed. It covered the basics that we needed to consider re: renting, purchasing, what to look for, why to look for it...., as well as ways to make sure we were going after what suited us. If your beginning the 'thinking process' re: RVing.....I trust you will find this book very helpful....as well as fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less an Idiot now that I read it, April 9, 2007
I was contimplating purchasing an RV, but knew virtually nothing about RVing. This little book really did well for me. I couldn't find it under "Camping and RVing" that I put into the Amazon search, and it really needs to be there. It's very basic.....as it should be for complete idiots to RVing like me. So, now, I'm the owner of one of these playhouses, and my search for a used Class B made sense because of what I'd read in this book.

Scotty

4.0 out of 5 stars RVing 2nd edition, May 14, 2012
Shipped quick!! Novice camping and thinking of purchasing a RV in the future. Great book and leaves me very confidant that I could do the whole RV thing and NOT be intimidated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Is this Book Written For?, June 24, 2009
I liked the book very much. It does spend a fair amount of time on the "upfront" issues. Do you want to buy an RV? What kind of an RV is right for you? What's out there for RVers? So the book may be best suited to those who are new to the experience, but, duh, it's the idiot's guide. If you've rented an RV, traveled in one with your parents or friends, you may be at a different pay grade.
When I bought it, I was a woman in my sixties, not mechanical by nature, planning to travel alone. I'd never owned an RV, though I'd taken a few trips in one. I was buffaloed by the systems that the guys usually take care of--the water tanks, batteries, power systems, etc.
Face it. There are many systems within the confines of an RV. Everything that's needed to live on the road--refrigerator, shower, sink, cupboards, closets, tv, beds, and more. If any part of all this malfunctions, it can be dangerous, irksome, and/or inconvenient. I recall a hot evening in Minnesota, with bugs swarming outside and the air conditioning not working inside. At that moment, more permanency in my home seemed highly desirable.
The Idiot's Guide supplied the answers to many of my questions in a very clear though breezy manner, with lists, illustrations, and explanations. It supplied references I could check out. I felt more equal to the task I was undertaking once I had read The Idiot's Guide. Not that I knew everything, it's kind of RVing 101, so the basics were covered and I could move on from there.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 2nd Edition
The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 2nd Edition by Brent Peterson (Paperback - April 4, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.20