Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on December 6, 1999
This book is simply wonderful - it tells you everything you need to know about wine without being cute or condescending like Wine for Dummies. Robert Mondavi says that this is the best introductory book on wine and it certainly is. It has more information than Wine for Dummies including specific wine recommendations. While it is an Idiot's Guide it does not treat you like an idiot. I recommend it for everybody who wants to learn about wine.
Because of all the snobbery surrounding wine I found the idea of an "Idiot's Guide" sort of funny, what with all the pretention and slender or even false erudition masquerading as the final word in the area. But Seldon's book peels back the highly polished surface but ultimately thin facade of the wine world to give you the basic, unbiased, and unvarnished truth and information that you need.

Every aspect of wine and wine appreciation is discussed, from how to open a bottle to understanding the many different varietals, wine growing, wine making, the effect of climate and terrain, and of course wine tasting and appreciation as well. The well written, clear and concise text make the book easy and enjoyable to read. I've read a number of other books on wine and I still learned a lot from this book. It would be a great choice for a beginner to start with, and even if you're more of an intermediate and advanced wine afficianado, you'll probably still learn something from this book.
on May 27, 2001
with a book about wine that unravels and decodes all the language that goes with wine. Philip Seldon takes you step by step through the wine world, without all the fancy words and snobbish attitude that the wine world is stereotyped with. He guides you through wine in a way that allows you to form your own opinions. This book sits on my coffee table and it has a been a useful tool in my journey with wine.
An all encompassing guide to help the novice wine drinkers learn everything from how wine is made, to how to choose the perfect wine for any occasion and so much more. I feel like every time I read this book I am learning more and more. I love that I can look up certain questions I have and find easy answers. I am so glad that is written in a way that makes the novice like me understand what they are saying. Wine can be confusing and I love that I am starting to feel like I am gaining a greater understanding of wine! I am a lover of wine and feel that this book makes the perfect gift! I am grabbing a copy for my father in law for Father's Day. What a wonderful guide 4.5 stars!
on January 11, 2007
I bought this book for a wonderful friend who is starting to learn about wines. Even though the book was used, I was surprised at the truly wonderful condition it arrived in. I would order from this retailer again. Prompt delivery.
on August 23, 2013
I knew for the price this was a gently used book,even tho it was advertised as "new" however i was hoping for it to be more "gently" than used.... someone highlighted and underlined almost everything in the entire book. Its not such an awful offense because the price was right, however i did not want to read someone cliff notes and what they felt was important... kinda a bummer.
on May 18, 2015
A terribly written book. I would not recommend it to anyone.The author, Philip Seldon's editorial approach is basic and juvenile. Philip Seldon is out of touch with current wine selection methods and trends around the world. My social friends knew about this poorly written book. Our wine selections and wine parties in Manhattan and Boston are wonderful using other learning sources, wine store workshops, and wine tasting informational events.
on June 2, 2013
The book arrived in good condition. I am enjoying it very much so far. The author breaks down each aspect of drinking wine, not just the wine itself.

It is broken into five main parts:
* The wine drinking experience, essentially, which includes glasses, bottles, corks, and bottle openers.
* Winemaking, the grapes involved, how to judge a wine.
* Wine around the world.
* How to select a wine.
* Storing wine, matching wine with foods, evidence for wine being beneficial for health.

The appendices are handy, too:
* recommended wines by price, color, maker, and other aspects
* wine vocab
* recommended books for further reading
* various wine toasts
* wine accessories and their prices
* the appropriate wines for occasions
* what not to do with wine
* wine Internet resources
* wine mags, newsletters, and catalogs, and their prices

I plan on reading the entirety of it (~500 pages) before I turn twenty-one this year.
on February 11, 1997
I have a hard time warming up to the marketing concept of addressing readers as "idiots" or "dummies," but in fairness, this introductory book does a good job of demystifying the world of wine. It's a good starting point for a new wine lover who wants a quick, digestible overview
on July 30, 2014
Very interesting. Lost of information.