5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Totally Amazing! What a Collection!!!!
What a collection. Every instrumental to make the Billboard Hot 100 (peak) in 1960. I've listened to this entire collection twice since receiving it a few days ago. The sound is superb!
And I am familiar with every cut. Things can only get better.
Published on June 30, 2011 by Bill Busse

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and uneven collection, geared toward the completist
I write this review as a huge fan of Rhino's multi-volume instrumental series, which is still the premier collection of instrumentals from the 50s to the 70s.

These three disks focus on one year - 1960. More than 80 songs, with a lot of smaltz mixed in. Of course, there are some standouts, including some nice work from Duane Eddy. But you've heard the good...
Published on July 24, 2011 by Randolf Krbechek

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Totally Amazing! What a Collection!!!!, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Complete Pop Instrumental Hits Of The Sixties, Volume 1 - 1960 (Audio CD)
And I am familiar with every cut. Things can only get better.
Hasmick productions and the producers of this set are to be complimented not only on the idea but on the quality of the production. I especially enjoyed the liner notes which list every act/conductor/orchestra in alphabetical order and give great info on each.

My hope is that when the set for 1961 is produced they will include the instrumentals that 'bubbled under the Hot 100'. Some of the best sounds ever were territorial/regional/breakout hits but never developed enough strength at any one time to be listed on the Hot 100. Many of these spent weeks on the 'Bubbling Under Charts'.

This collection includes a few selections that came close to No. 100 but didn't quite make it.
My favorite is Chet Atkin's recording of "Theme From the Dark at the Top of the Stairs".

Thanks everyone for bringing the sounds of our teens/early 20s to light in the new millenium.
Being a band student (clarinet, baritone, bass, harmonica, drums) I always appreciated the instrumentals on the radio. My own collection probably had more instrumentals than vocals.

Get this, get this, get this! Let these people know how much you appreciate what they are doing!
Cannot wait for the next volume(set) covering the Billboard hit instrumentals of 1961.

Please don't forget those that just hit the 'bubbling under the Hot 100' charts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, June 30, 2011
I can't add a lot more to what has already been said but what a superb collection. Bill Buster and Co. have done a superb job on this CD set. The sound is outstanding on both mono and stereo tracks. One reason I purchased this set was for Never On Sunday by Don Costa. I don't think you'll find this track anywhere else. And we finally get Because They're Young and Walk-Don't Run with some bass to them. These tracks have been available on Rhino but sorely lacking any omph. The two tracks of 77 Sunset Strip-mono and stereo also sound great. A few surprises here. How about instrumentals by Nat "King" Cole, Bobby Darin, and Bill Haley? They're here. There are too many tracks to review here but you get the point. For 10 bucks a CD you can't go wrong. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars There Are No Words To Describe This CD, June 29, 2011
Jeff Pearlman (Lakeland, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Wow! EVERY single instrumental record that hit the Hot 100 in 1960 is collected here, with excellent sound. I have hunted down a few instrumental collections over the years, but this STILL had about 15 Top 40 instrumentals and about another 30 Hot 100 hits I had yet to find. Includes the biggest hit of the year, Percy Faith's "Theme From 'A Summer Place'", and 70 other chart hits.

The booklet gives autobiographical data about each of the artists included. As the notes say, a crazy wide range of styles is here--from Mantovani and Lawrence Welk to Bill Haley and Duane Eddy, plus Chet Atkins, the Ventures--even rare low-charting instrumentals from Nat "King" Cole and Bobby Darin(!). There are even ten bonus tracks, most hits from 1959, to fill out Disc 3. Awesome! Already waiting for the 1961 volume!

5.0 out of 5 stars SENSATIONAL!!!, even for Eric records!, September 8, 2011
I could just start by saying this cd is worth the money just for the track 'If she should come to you/La Montana', or the stereo version of 'Theme From a Summer Place', or Duane Eddy's 'Because They Were Young' in the best ever sound quality, but this is jumping ahead of things - although it is quite hard not to get a bit hysterical about such an amazing project!
Eric records is going to issue, as you can see on their site, every instrumental hit that made it to the US chart in the 60s. The 60s was of course THE era for the wonderful, long gone, instrumental sound. I call this series sensational, since I have been trying to collect songs in this genre for years, but where to look? Either it is easy listening, or surf, or rock and roll genre. Worse, usually you end up with compilations that always include the same stuff over again (unless it is from Eric or Ace, another best in the world reissue label). Wouldn't it be nice to have a complete overview, from which you can select tracks yourself? What a pleasant surprise Eric took the challenge, since this means there will be a good booklet, a lot of tracks on the cd and most important: the best sound quality. I have many albums in my computer, and when I see a double, almost without exception the version by some Eric or Ace records tops the other compilations in sound! Some reviewers complain about the completeness, but why? The only way to do this really well is to include all. That means, you have the twangy guitar of Duane Eddy but also the sweet sounding Percy Faith and not only that, many preciously unreleased tracks on a complete issue! It depends on taste of course, but with three cd's from 1960 alone, I have found many gemms I would never have heard in my life. Only drawback of quality is, that it takes time. I believe Eric will only issue one of these per year, but ten years to complete this series will be worth the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection!, July 11, 2011
Ditto what others have said. Why not have a collection or two for the instrumental songs that peaked in the fifties? Try finding Leo Diamond's "Melody of Love" or the original version of Ferko String Band's "Alabama Jubilee". If no 1950's instrumental collections are coming, please add these songs as bonus tracks to the 1961 collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning is the word, February 5, 2012
Johnboy1 "movielover" (Arlington, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
To say I loved this is an understatement! True, I'm more into rock from the sixties, but that doesn't take anything away from this beautiful set. It's like having a time capsule that takes us all back to the glory years of The Hot 100....and our youth. After all, the rock and pop tunes of the era were no more important than the instrumentals, some of them rock and soul classics, as well.

The sound production (as usual,for Eric Records)is superb, thanks to Mark Mathews, Walt Weiskopf, and Tom Daly. Thanks, guys! And let's not forget the men who are most responsible for these masterpieces....Randy Price and Eric owner Bill Buster. Thanks once more. I can only hope that I live to hear and own the other 60's instrumental releases.

You may have many of these already, as I do, but you certainly don't have all of them, for many are seeing CD for the first time. And, lets not forget that due to the hard work of the above mentioned guys, many of the songs we do have are much clearer and cleaner in this set. I particulary love the fact that we get the original versions of the great hits, like the Bill Black mono singles, which were rerecorded for stereo lps.

If you want a trip back in time to 1960, this is it, and what a fun trip it is!

John Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars A much-needed collection that needs the support of music lovers., February 3, 2012
Chuck Thornton (CANYON COUNTRY, CA, US) - See all my reviews
There are those of us who remember when instrumental pop music actually came out of our radio. Those days are gone now, but at least these collections make these tracks available to more than just those with access to their parents' or grandparents' vinyl collection. I'm getting close to age 60, and there are some selections in this collection that I hadn't heard since elementary school. I highly recommend this complete line of CDs (the same folks put out the "hard to find" collections) but especially the pop instrumental collections. It may be trite, but it's true: you just don't hear this kind of music anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Did A Double-Take On This One, September 13, 2011
When I saw this in a store shelf I did a double-take as I had no idea that there were that many instrumental hit singles for 1960 alone. But the facts don't lie and here you get no less than 80 tracks that were hits (including one, Theme From "The Dark At The Top Of The Stairs" by Chet Atkins which reached # 103 Hot 100 Bubble Under). You also get a stereo version of Don Ralke's 77 Sunset Strip, which itself did not chart, to go along with the mono version that did!

Produced by Bill Buster (of Eric Records) and Randy Price, this has 23 pages of liner notes by Greg Adams providing thumbnail sketches of each artist, to go along with chart performances, peak dates in 1960, and track lengths. The sound reproduction is immaculate. The only thing it doesn't provide are the original label details.

But that's a minor quibble. This is as good as it gets if you're a fan of the pure instrumental, and is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 60's instrumentals, October 12, 2013
As with the 61 album, pure enjoyment. Original recordings providing hours of enjoyment or instrumental background music for any occasion. Must have for anyone who likes the music of the era.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greats from the best year in Music!, October 3, 2013
Edward T. Tobin (Bryn Mawr, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
Say what you want, but I consider 1960 to be the all-time # 1 year in music! It's the year I started my collection. I think I bought about 75 -45 rpm's and my first albums. No one year to date has given as many songs that have been remade and enjoyed as this. Only complaint I have is that they didn't include "Wonderland by Night" by Bert Kaempfert , "The Magnificent Seven" by Al Caiola and even "Kissin" by the Fireballs. Two of the three appear on the 1961 Greatest Instrumental Hits.

ARRAY(0x9d2c1024)