4.0 out of 5 stars The poems are great...but why such tiny print?
Published on February 4, 2002 by Jeffery K. Matheus

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to Navigate
Published on February 23, 2010 by India R. Griffin

4.0 out of 5 stars The poems are great...but why such tiny print?, February 4, 2002
Jeffery K. Matheus (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Hardcover)
As a lover of great rhyme poetry, and in particular, a fan of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poetry - I was glad to finally find that a "Complete Works" volume was available. If (like me) you are a lover of Longfellow's classy and distinctive verse style, then of course there is no faulting the actual content of this book - from his most famous works to his most obscure..it's all here! Another fine feature of this book is the brief introductions that give historical and/or background information as to what/where/who inspired Longfellow to write a particular poem (although these intros are not given for every poem in the book, but mainly for the more critically-renowned & famous ones). However, this book certainly CAN be faulted for its extremely small, lightly colored, and almost eye-damaging print!!! I was surprized to open a harcover book of this size (not to mention price!) and find such a tiny, substandard printing style - and to make matters even worse, the small print is divided into narrow columns (like most modern Bibles, or newspapers), with two columns on each page and lots of blank space on either side! My advise? Buy this book ONLY if you are a hardcore Longfellow enthusiast who is looking for the more obscure works - if you are simply looking for a sampling of his best-loved poems, [...] sells plenty of other fine Logfellow collections that are much more easy on the eyes! My rating? Five stars for Longfellow's thoughtful and imaginative work with rhyme, rhythm, and imagery - but only 2 stars for this publisher's slipshod reprinting!

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE Satisfaction!, March 14, 2008
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is known as one of America's best known and best loved poets of all time. The Complete Poetical Works, covers I believe, everything ever writteb by this exquisite poet.

You will find your most treasured and well-loved favorites, as well as the most obscure findings in this brilliant collection. This is a "must-have" for all fans of Longfellow and his works.

It'(mostly)lyric style poetry with a rhyming rhythm that is sure to bring memories back to long-time followers of Longfellow and new poetry lovers as well. He writes with an easy to understand method and obvious themes, these poems come back to me just as easy as some of my favorite mother goose stories, childhood songs, and rhymes.

I do want to point out that I bought this tome on Kindle, and the print in this collection of poems shows up perfectly formatted and just the right size (not small or tiny) without any adjustment to the font. There are no complaints regarding how these works show up on the kindle whatsoever, so if you are a kindle owner and a poetry owner, this is a solid buy at just .99. Actually, it's an amazing value.

I can honestly, without reserve, recommend this book to all who love Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American Poetry and Poets.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the poems, August 9, 2004
All the poems of this great poet. If you are not sure where to start, start with Psalm of Life "Footprints on the sands of time," and The Building of the Ship "Sail on, O Ship of State. Sail on, O Union, strong and great."

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to Navigate, February 23, 2010
India R. Griffin (La Mirada, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am new to Kindle and this is one of the first books I purchased. I was immediately disappointed when I turned on the Kindle and navigated to the table of contents. I was looking forward to searching, by poem, from the contents tables. After an hour of hopelessly navigating and attempting to use the search function I gave up and put the book into my archive. I suppose this review is more critical of the type of medium used than of the works themselves. However I believe it is very relevant to those that are contemplating the purchase of this book for Kindle. I made the decision to give a one star rating because the book is useless if it can't be navigated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Formatting too bad even if it was free!, July 25, 2010
Renwonug (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I don't mind problem formatting when it is limited to paragraph indention problems, spacing issues or even breaking up lines of poetry. But I draw the line, even in a $0.99 book when words are broken up for no good reason. Not worth giving away free in my estimation.

3.0 out of 5 stars still worth 99 cents, August 22, 2008
This edition does not have a navigable table of contents and has awkward line breaks in the longer poems. On the other hand it was only 99 cents.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting but ok., January 22, 2012
I wanted the complete works of Longfellow to read to my mother in law, who has Alzheimers but still remembers poetry. The book is good in that it has the complete works in it, so I can find every poem I want. The book is not so good in that the typeface is hard to read because the book has reproduced the original printings. Sometimes it's blurred or tiny. If you have trouble with small print, don't buy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Works is not really complete or completely legible, March 1, 2011
The Complete Works is not really complete or completely legible. As a historian, I would really like this authentic version of photo copies of the original documents, but this book was to be for my mom and so needed to be legible throughout. I don't mind that some of the poems are missing parts, because, if they're missing, they're missing. But what disappointed me was the readability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book and poems, January 26, 2013
I love hardcover books, especially when it comes to classics, poems, etc. The poem formatting is perfect, the font is nice, and the poems are of course Longfellow poems, which means they are gentle and beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Henry Wadsworth Review, December 19, 2009
Pretty good condition, the first few pages were bent at the top, but other than that, great book!

The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Hardcover - December 1, 1993)
$45.95 $35.85