Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Complete Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 4, 2002
As a lover of great rhyme poetry, and in particular, a fan of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poetry - I was glad to finally find that a "Complete Works" volume was available. If (like me) you are a lover of Longfellow's classy and distinctive verse style, then of course there is no faulting the actual content of this book - from his most famous works to his most obscure..it's all here! Another fine feature of this book is the brief introductions that give historical and/or background information as to what/where/who inspired Longfellow to write a particular poem (although these intros are not given for every poem in the book, but mainly for the more critically-renowned & famous ones). However, this book certainly CAN be faulted for its extremely small, lightly colored, and almost eye-damaging print!!! I was surprized to open a harcover book of this size (not to mention price!) and find such a tiny, substandard printing style - and to make matters even worse, the small print is divided into narrow columns (like most modern Bibles, or newspapers), with two columns on each page and lots of blank space on either side! My advise? Buy this book ONLY if you are a hardcore Longfellow enthusiast who is looking for the more obscure works - if you are simply looking for a sampling of his best-loved poems, [...] sells plenty of other fine Logfellow collections that are much more easy on the eyes! My rating? Five stars for Longfellow's thoughtful and imaginative work with rhyme, rhythm, and imagery - but only 2 stars for this publisher's slipshod reprinting!
VINE VOICEon March 14, 2008
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is known as one of America's best known and best loved poets of all time. The Complete Poetical Works, covers I believe, everything ever writteb by this exquisite poet.

You will find your most treasured and well-loved favorites, as well as the most obscure findings in this brilliant collection. This is a "must-have" for all fans of Longfellow and his works.

It'(mostly)lyric style poetry with a rhyming rhythm that is sure to bring memories back to long-time followers of Longfellow and new poetry lovers as well. He writes with an easy to understand method and obvious themes, these poems come back to me just as easy as some of my favorite mother goose stories, childhood songs, and rhymes.

I do want to point out that I bought this tome on Kindle, and the print in this collection of poems shows up perfectly formatted and just the right size (not small or tiny) without any adjustment to the font. There are no complaints regarding how these works show up on the kindle whatsoever, so if you are a kindle owner and a poetry owner, this is a solid buy at just .99. Actually, it's an amazing value.

I can honestly, without reserve, recommend this book to all who love Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American Poetry and Poets.
on January 22, 2012
I wanted the complete works of Longfellow to read to my mother in law, who has Alzheimers but still remembers poetry. The book is good in that it has the complete works in it, so I can find every poem I want. The book is not so good in that the typeface is hard to read because the book has reproduced the original printings. Sometimes it's blurred or tiny. If you have trouble with small print, don't buy this book.
on February 24, 1998
This book is part of the Cambridge series of poets and is certainly well worth the money. Longfellow's poems are nicely grouped, with introductory comments to set the background of each. There are also notes back near the index that further explain some of the passages. Longfellow was an extremely successful poet in his lifetime, but his popularity fell in the century following his death in 1882; considering the 20th century's penchant for the abstruse, there is both humor and truth in Canadian novelist Robertson Davies' wry remark, that Longfellow's dimming popularity is owing to his being wholly comprehensible. Many of Longfellow's poems are familiar for the stories they tell (e.g. The Courtship of Miles Standish, Evangeline, Paul Revere's Ride, Hiawatha), but there are many little known specimens which are moving in their own right. This is a wonderful volume of poetry, highly readable, and worth the effort to obtain for yourself.
on August 9, 2004
All the poems of this great poet. If you are not sure where to start, start with Psalm of Life "Footprints on the sands of time," and The Building of the Ship "Sail on, O Ship of State. Sail on, O Union, strong and great."
on July 25, 2010
I don't mind problem formatting when it is limited to paragraph indention problems, spacing issues or even breaking up lines of poetry. But I draw the line, even in a $0.99 book when words are broken up for no good reason. Not worth giving away free in my estimation.
on April 20, 2012
This 1891 edition of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poetical works is in fine shape at 121 years of age. The poems, of course are ageless. A really great bargan from Innoworking Associates at Amazon.com.
on January 26, 2013
I love hardcover books, especially when it comes to classics, poems, etc. The poem formatting is perfect, the font is nice, and the poems are of course Longfellow poems, which means they are gentle and beautiful.
on August 22, 2008
This edition does not have a navigable table of contents and has awkward line breaks in the longer poems. On the other hand it was only 99 cents.
on February 23, 2010
I am new to Kindle and this is one of the first books I purchased. I was immediately disappointed when I turned on the Kindle and navigated to the table of contents. I was looking forward to searching, by poem, from the contents tables. After an hour of hopelessly navigating and attempting to use the search function I gave up and put the book into my archive. I suppose this review is more critical of the type of medium used than of the works themselves. However I believe it is very relevant to those that are contemplating the purchase of this book for Kindle. I made the decision to give a one star rating because the book is useless if it can't be navigated.