5.0 out of 5 stars Two Great Jazz Artists at Their Best, September 17, 2002
Tom Moran (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Recordings (Audio CD)
I can't say enough about this collection. I've waited a long time for the perfect compilation of Lester Young/Billie Holiday tracks from their prime (the Sony CD, "A Musical Romance," doesn't come close), and I won't beat around the bush: this is it.
Disconforme has put together the ideal Prez/Lady Day CD set by the simple expedient of putting all (or nearly all -- they don't have any alternate takes) of their great recordings from the mid-30s on two CDs. So you not only hear the tracks that everyone puts on their collections, but the ones they ignore.
These two artists made some of the best records of the early Swing era. Tracks like "I Must Have This Man," "Foolin' Myself" and "Me, Myself and I" can be listened to over and over again without your getting tired of them. I've been listening to these tracks since the late 70s, and I'm still can't get enough of them.
There are also two "bonus tracks" at the end of each CD that I've never heard before. They're live recordings, and the sound isn't great, but they're a rare glimpse of what these two people sounded like when performing in front of an audience.
I can't recommend this CD set enough. If you're a Lester Young fan, or a fan of early jazz, or you just love great singing, don't hesitate. This one's a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, no session info..., November 4, 2005
This review is from: Complete Recordings (Audio CD)
The sound quality (remastered from a previous Disconforme issue?) is wonderful, very rich and full. This release lacks session information (no dates or personnel given), which might disappoint some jazz fans--especially with regard to the two live bonus tracks. Also, perhaps a minor point, the rear tracklisting is somewhat tiny, framed in odd white rectangles over a flower print backgroud. This may be the best-sounding CD package of Billie and Lester's complete prewar masters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CD!, March 19, 2008
H20 (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Recordings (Audio CD)
Billie Holiday and Lester Young are fantastic in this 2-CD set! The quality of the recording is excellent, and the artists were masters of their trade! I highly recommend this 2-CD set from the Jazz Factory!

Complete Recordings
Complete Recordings by Billie Holiday (Audio CD - 2005)