on April 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was a bit hesitant about buying this kit. Every shop was quoting me at least $300 for Cokin P filter kits that came with 1-3 filters and only one adapter ring. It was ridiculous in my opinion. It was hard enough just finding someone who had all the fittings. So I thought maybe there was something wrong with this product listing at $74.99 . I was skeptical.

I was also wrong. This kit is a GREAT VALUE!!! I immediately took out each filter and mounted it on my lens. It was sunny outside and perfect to testing. I expected to find flaws with this kit but there were none really.

All the filters are flawless. I recommend taking them all out of the plastic wrapping. Use a scissors, box cutter or an exacto knife to cut the plastic wrapping open. Do not try to open the glued flap, you will most likely get sticky glue all over your filter (Not good) and end up scratching it while trying to clean it. I got this tip from another reviewer on here. Great tip!

Another reviewer complained about the filter holder being too tight and hard to slide in-and-out of. Well, my assessment is that it is very snug and firm. I actually prefer it this way because it means that the filter will never slide out of position. It requires your filter placement to be deliberate and intentional. The last thing I need is my filter sliding out while hiking.

-The filters are good quality
-The adapter rings are good quality
-The filter holder and hood is fair-decent quality but does the job fine (it's not rocket science)

Overall this is a great value. I recommend buying a kit like this first and seeing if you want to buy the fancier, more expensive kits. Honestly I could not see any degradation in image quality using these filters. They are clear and the gradients are smooth and flawless. My test shots were with a Canon 7D and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens.

I am very satisfied with the results.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
Let me start this by saying most of the complaints I've read are valid. If you tried to reproduce this kit using actual Cokin products you would spend over $400. So when you pay less than 1/5th the cost you must expect some compromises in quality. The real question is whether these compromises will be acceptable for how you intend to use the product.

Also, keep in mind that I have no prior experience with actual Cokin products, and these are being used by a college student for cinematography class assignments where the process and concepts are more important than the raw image quality. My background is as a professional portrait, wedding and newspaper still photographer, and even that is a few decades out of practice, but was also somewhat forgiving about image quality.

So now that I've set the stage let's get down to details.

The Filter Holders

The finish is relatively good with and a manufactured-in texture to make them "less shiny", but not truly matte. They clip easily but securely to the provided adapter rings and allow for rotation so you can adjust the cut-off line of graduated or special-effects filters (FX filters would be an additional purchase. As other reviewers noted, it is difficult to slide the filters in and out of the holder whether the hood is attached or not. This makes changing filters slow and will probably affect camera position if you are doing something that requires precise cut-to-cut (or frame-to-frame) alignment. I find that removing the holder from the adapter ring to change filters works best. Nothing I've encountered so far with the holder or filters presented edges sharp enough to cut my skin, but there are a few spots that could use a little touch-up with some extra fine sandpaper then a polishing cloth.

The filter holder itself (without any hood or stacked circular filters attached to the lens before the filter holder adapter) adds no noticed vignetting when the holder was straight (relative to the image frame) at 27mm (full frame sensor, 17mm APS-C equivalent), but some corner vignetting becomes apparent up to about 34mm if you rotate the holder 45 degrees. So for shorter focal lengths you might need to purchase an additional holder designed for wide-angle lenses.

The Adapter Rings

The adapter rings themselves are well made and screw on and off my lenses smoothly and on top of other lens-attached filters, and are low profile. No complaints here.

The Hood

I'm not sure what value the hood provides other than for appearances. The plastic has a smooth semi-gloss finish that cause glare on the filters and in your final images. The back of the hood leaves a gap for light to shine in on the rear of the filters, but the gap is necessary to change filters without removal of the hood itself. This creates some concern, as you cannot use a standard lens hood with the filter holder attached. Short of spending $500 on rails and a matte box with flags (if you go that way then you wouldn't need p-size filters anyway) that leaves you vulnerable to flare. I have sanded and sprayed the non-contacting surfaces of the hoods flat black and we'll see how they standup over time.

The hood snaps onto the holder securely and you can adjust how far out it sits from the holder, But even its most reward position still leaves a gap at the back. Two hoods are provided and they can be stacked when using longer focal lengths. At 27mm (full frame sensor, 17mm APS-C equiv.) with the hood attached in the middle position I was not able to see any vignetting, but with a single hood attached at a 45 degree angle there was corner vignetting up to about 40mm.

The Filters

Fifteen "resin" (plastic) filters are included. Aside from the 3 ND filters (2, 4 and 8), the rest are all graduated filters in various colors. I would have preferred additional solid filters for overall color correction and simulating "night" shots. Each are included in their own clam shell case, which makes a stack almost 7" tall. One or two plastic boxes would have been preferred and saved the manufacturer some money. I detected no discernible distortions in the filters, but did note inconsistencies in the tinting during inspection. I so far have not seen this inconsistency in my videos, but haven't yet shot any scenes that involved panning or zooming or chromakeys that might call this out. But of all the other issues, this is the biggest problem I see with the kit, and why I could not recommend it for professional use.

Summary

For a video, film, photography or art student, or an amateur who's still learning about filter control and effects, I feel this kit offers a great opportunity to learn how to use filters in the creative process at an affordable price. As skills and requirements increase, critical parts can be replaced with higher-quality name-brand components until you have a pro-level working system.

But if you are a pro or even an enthusiast who demands top quality and function, this is not going to satisfy your needs, other than as an introduction to whether this type of system might be compatible with your style of shooting. A pro would be better off spending the $150 or so to get the actual Cokin filter holder and 3 or 4 actual Cokin filters, then expand their system as needs dictate.

So my overall rating is a 4: A good starting kit and value for students and amateurs, which matches my needs, but not up to professional or enthusiast standards.
on June 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
I ordered this set as an alternative to the much more expensive Cokin set.
I'm very pleased, everything came as offered. Some of the filters were a little larger than others, usage was not hindered, but I did have to place the wider filter in front so both would stay in the holder. The adapter rings were well made, which is very pleasing. I've ordered alternative to name brand before and had to deal with cheap threads. Sometimes I returned items, sometimes they'd still work.
The labels were worn off of a few of the filter cases, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me.
One of the reasons I really like Goja is because they are determined to sell quality, and are more than willing to work with customers. I know that if my issue with a couple of the filters being a little larger was a problem that I could send them back and get replacements. I have dealt with this company many times, and I respect them.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
This item was SUCH a great deal at $75. So I'm totally psyched to have it, but that said, the matte box... is pretty close to terrible. Now it's better than nothing - and is a step above gaff taping the filters to my lens, but it suffers from total a total lack of quality. The filters (in my unit) go in and out with SO much difficulty that when I removed them after testing it out, I sliced my middle finger open - rather deeply. I don't even know on what, but it takes so much force to draw them out - and the harder you pull, the harder you need to grasp onto the matte box - and the harder you grasp the matte box, the harder it is to draw the filters out... Anyways, pretty poor design there. Oh, plus, it's advertised as holding 3 filters - and from initially looking at it, there are 3 slots - in fact it almost entices you with what seems to be a fourth slot. But the 4th slot actually isn't a slot... and neither is the 3rd. There are only 2 slots with an actual tension spring (plastic) and what seems to be a 3rd slot is just the space between the 2 actual slots. But all that said, the matte box - is preferable to absolutely nothing - I will continue to use it (maybe wearing safety gloves - and maybe with some light modifications to improve it), and the filter set itself is absolutely AWESOME! Oh, a note on the filters. It mentions a gray grad and also a set of 3 ND grads. The gray grad is just an extra ND6 (so you get two of those). Which brings me to my last note. The packaging (and I believe the verbiage on Amazon) notes that you get a graduated ND 2, 4 and 8 - plus full ND's of the same. Which is a strange offering since ND's are usually rated at 3, 6, 9, 12, etc - these are not weird fraction of a stop ND's - the verbiage is just wrong. I tested them and they're actually ND 3, 6 and 9's.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought these as an alternative to Lee and Singh Ray to test out filters and see if they were something that I would enjoy using before making a huge purchase and sinking thousands into Lee and Singh Rays. First let me tell you, for $75 you cant go wrong. The filters are good quality, and have no negative effect on picture quality. Trust me, I am incredibly anal about my photo quality being a landscape photographer. I use these with my 5D Mark III and L series glass, the only down side to them is that your focal length will need to be at 35mm + to not get vignetting but its not that bad. If you want to use the filters on a wide angle lens, you can do what myself as well as thousands of other pros do, just hold the filter in place with your hand over the lens. It is a lot easier to control everything more accordingly that way anyways. On a tripod (which is how these should be used really, much easier to compose the shot) you can adjust them up and down and watch the effect on the picture, its really cool! Anyways, the filters are great quality and worth every penny, especially compared to how much this would cost you if you bought Lee, Cokin, or Singh Ray filters of the same type. The holder is exactly like the one Cokin offers, and holds the filters snugly so that you never have to worry about loosing one. Again, the resin is amazing quality, I inspected them in the sunlight and they are clear as glass. The adapter rings are good, they screw right on to the front of the lens with no problem. And the complaining about cutting fingers and the filters being "to large" to fit into the holder. Its all BS and more than likely total operator error. I honestly do not understand how someone could manage that with an 1/8th in. thick piece of resin.... The only time I had any issues putting a filter into the holder was when I put one in at a slight angle, binded up in the holder, my fault, not that of the holder or filter. Also, the plastic cases that the filters come in are great, they come wrapped in plastic sleeves inside the plastic case for added protection, really nice set up, next to impossible to damage one. Overall this is a great kit, and something that I know I will be using for a long while to come. Great quality, great product, and awesome alternative to buying expensive glass filters that break quite easily. As a professional photographer, I can tell you that these are good quality, and worth the money. Also, Goja is dedicated to great customer service, the kit comes with a letter that is signed PERSONALLY by the company owner/ manufacturer. Name another company out there that does that? Stop thinking about it already, BUY THIS! You will not regret it! :)
on May 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
I agree with some of the reviewers here that the overall products are quite comparable to cokin (which I did the comparison against actual cokin product). Since the price is very much affordable, I cannot give this product any less than 4.5 stars. The 0.5 star is for the flimsy holder, which I broke after inserting one filter (the brown one). I then noticed that the filters are not cut to the same size. They are either bottom wide or top wide (off by 1mm, which is enough to break the tight holder - I did use a *little* force, I think). The broken filter was easily fixed with super glue. Overall I am happy with the products and the speed of delivery. One more thing: I received an extra ND2, but missing a color filter. I don't really care much about it since I was buying for the grad ND filters, anyway...still 4.5 stars from me.
on July 25, 2012
I'm not ripping on the filters because they are fine and a good value for this price but the boxes they came in were all labeled wrong (not a big deal) and I can't use the holder for my purposes (Time Lapse). In daylight or sunrise/sunset time lapse photography you need to use ND filters for shutter drag and you need to be able to remover stacked filters as the light fades for sunsets. That means you have to remove ND filters (stacked) as your exposure times change and they must be easily removed in order to not effect the alignment of your shot. It is impossible to remove these filters without effecting the position of the camera because the filters fit way too tight in the holder. In a test I had two filters on and then tried to remove the first one and it was difficult to remove and couldn't be done without effecting the alignment of the shot. If you clip the square plastic piece on the front, forget it. You can't remove the filter, period. When you clip on the front plastic piece it creates a side pressure that pinches the filters in so tightly they can't be removed and you will be seriously challenged to get a filter in or out, I couldn't do it without thinking it would break the thing, or I would cut my finger on ths sharp edge of the filter.

If you are using these filters for general one shot photos then it is fine and not an issue. Just make sure you slide the filter in first and THEN clip on the front plastic part and take it off first before you try to remove the filter, otherwise you may slice your finger as another reviewer here said they did. I carefully ran a piece of 1200 grit sandpaper (wet) over the sharp edges of all the filters I use to dull the edges just for safety reasons.

The filters themselves are all good except one ND filter (ND8) which has one small pock mark in it but it is on the outer edge so no big deal, it would never be in a shot. The filters are pretty good for the price and worth it for me. I am going to buy a good quality metal holder that has a bottom to it so you can drop the filters in and out without any resistance. Otherwise, this was a good purchase for me. Good value.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
After reading all the great reviews on these filters I decided to give them a try.

I put the filters on a 5D Mark III with a Canon 24-105 f/4L lens. At the short end (24mm) the filter holder causes a very nasty vignette which becomes much more pronounced once a filter is put in. This was easy to get around by zooming into ~35mm. The quality of the holder is not that great. It is plastic which is to be expected at this price, but that is not the main issue. It is so tight that it makes it hard to insert and remove the filters.

The filters themselves are very poor quality. The graduated ND filters are the main reason I went for this kit. They cause a horrible purple color cast. I also noticed that they are not very even. When I looked closely at the filters I noticed that the middle part was fairly straight then dipped down. When looking across horizontally towards the center I can clearly see blotches (areas that are darker than the areas next do it).

The colored filters are not worth the time. If you truly want to try this out, I would recommend just buying the ND filters.

Comparing the quality of these with my B+W filters makes me more than happy to spend the extra money for better quality.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this filter set since it would allow me to use it on so many different lenses. A slotted holder is recommended for each adapter ring you plan on using so you don't have to keep changing out the adapter ring. The filters come packed in cellophane wrappers that are lightly glued shut. (tip: cut the packages open rather than opening the glued seal since some of the glue may get on the filter). Each filter comes in its own plastic case. All of the filters were spotlessly clean and scratch and defect free. The holders function well, fit like they were matched and at this price, I was shocked at the overall quality. Usually when I have ordered stuff like this in the past, it tends to disappoint. I have also ordered a 3 Pcs 67MM Filter Kit for Nikon D90 18-105mm VR DX Lens (UV CPL FLD) NEW!!! + 1 Microfiber Cleaning Cloth GOJA Logo and an Large Eyecup / Eyepiece Extender for CANON EOS 1D 7D Mark IV + 1 Premium Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth from GOJA, all are serving the intended purpose nicely, highly satisfied with the products (and service).
on June 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
All the filters were in perfect condition and were (as far as I could tell) flawless. I only have two issues with this product. The first is extremely minor: some of the plastic filter containers were labeled properly in english, some were labeled in chinese and some weren't labeled at all. The second issue is that the holder doesn't have the standard wide first slot to accomodate sprocket filters. This may not be a problem for you if you don't use Singh-Ray filters or your regular rounded circular polarizer is threaded (I tried it and it works, it just makes it hard to turn the polarizer, but not undoable). Aside from these small issues I heartily recommend this product as a low cost alternative to genuine Cokin P filter packages.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations