5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely helps

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Price Tag for Little Organization
Published on January 5, 2010 by twixt between

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely helps, October 22, 2006
This review is from: MCAT Complete Study Package, Sixth Edition (Exam Krackers) (Paperback)
I had about 8 weeks to prep for the August '06 MCAT, so I bought the majority of the EK books, signed up for a prep course (which in retrospect was probably a waste of money) and studied 8 hours a day, 7 days a week until the test, and I still couldn't finish all the material. A word of advice, give yourself at least a 12 week cushion to study, so that you can cover all the material and b/c you can take a day off here and there to keep yourself from losing your sanity and not fall behind...b/c at the end of 8 very intense weeks I felt like I was losing my mind ;), I took about 7-8 practice exams, half of which were AAMC which were very helpful...in the end, it was all worth it...scored a 30 (10 VR, 10 BS, 10 PS).

5.0 out of 5 stars Manageable study program, July 25, 2006
After being away from college for 10 years, I have found the MCAT review very comprehensive and manageable. The subjects are divided into separate books, which makes them very portable. The diagrams are fantastic, and the authors' sidenotes clarify what you need to know outright versus what's background info. If you need further help, there are Examcrackers resources for that too, such as flashcards and extra questions for each subject, so you don't have to pay for what you don't need. It is somewhat tailored for those with strong science skills, and weak verbal--the Verbal Reasoning book really walks you through the basics. Since that is my strong suit, I don't need my hand held for that, while I do for Physics, so I guess my only complaint would be that they assume you're a science wizard and verbal dummy, so those of us with the opposite skills don't get the same benefit of that stereotype. I know, probably most medical students fit that mold, but that doesn't mean those of us who have to work a tad harder don't belong in the profession--once you know it, you know it. There's room for all types, as well as a need! Good program overall, I'm very pleased, and would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books, March 12, 2006
There is no better set of books than these. They give you all the info you need with little jokes and pnemonics to help you remember the information. Other books give you lots of filler that just wastes your precious study time, while these books give you just whats tested on the mcat. I also recommend the audio osmosis cd's that go along with the books. They are great to have in the car or just to review the material when you get tired of reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Price Tag for Little Organization, January 5, 2010
While the level is incredibly high of information that can be tested, it is finite. Maybe it's useful to try and cram every possible subject that may be covered on the exam into review materials, but to do this means that more commonly covered topics are given equal weight with something like anisotropy, which has showed up on one question on one exam since the beginning of the CBT MCAT.

I found the materials were confusing and poorly organized, and while I purchased them for my review, I didn't use them after I'd looked through them. Perhaps there is a rationale to how the books are written, but it does not fit with my own. Overall, I scored in the top 1% of the MCAT, so I feel like I did something right at least, but I don't think that these books can claim the same.

The Princeton Review has the best materials that I've seen, but they are excessive. AAMC materials are of course the best things to use in practicing for the test. LWW has the best single book review.

5.0 out of 5 stars best MCAT materials, December 27, 2006
I'm just reiterating other reviews, but these books are truly worth every penny! I started with a 6 in the physics and a 9 in biology before studying, and ended up with a 30 overall in the real test. I am certain that a more capable, hard-working person could get a much higher score with just these materials.

The books make very efficient use of what time you have. The illustrations pretty helpful (color helps!) for the visual learner. The authors also provide useful mnemonic devices, and plenty of practice. It is a little more expensive than other materials, but considering how expensive the entire process of applying to medical school is, these books are the most worthwhile ~$100 you'll spend.

For most people, this is probably the only material you need to do well on the MCAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this earlier than later!!, July 3, 2006
This study package will outdo anthything out there. For the price (especially on Amazon.com) it goes unmatched. It contains everything from the material needed to this little guy that makes you laugh while you study named "Salty" the Kracker. The content is made to understand the essentials- which is what you need to be successful on the MCAT. I would recommend (having already been a student) to get this early on well before you take the MCAT to make your coursework more understandable as well. -Matthew Wolak

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for starving students, January 1, 2007
These books cover the essentials of what you need to know for the MCAT. Complaints about being tested on topics that have not been covered is a way for the author's of this series to help you learn the material. The other prep companies do this, and so does EK as a way of helping you remember a concept and/or term even though you will get it wrong. These books shows one how he/she should be thinking about the sciences before ever attemptng calculations or answering questions from passages. I have everthing from every prep company and I almost exclusively use this series when preparng for the physical science section, and only EK when preparing for the biology section. If you are taking a prep class with another prep company, you should still obtain the series, and if you have a solid background in the sciences and only need to review concepts this is the $%^$! Applying to medical school is already expensive and this series will help you save money, especially if you don't need a $1600 course to teach you concepts that you already know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing for the MCAT!, June 21, 2006
Dr H (Global nomad) - See all my reviews
Small and convenient, you are guaranteed to bring your score up! I brought mine up 5 points after taking the MCAT 3x! Wish I knew about it the first time around, would have saved myself money and stress, have recommended it to everyone I know since I used it, and it has helped every single one of them! I'm a 3rd yr medical student now, and the MCAT is a thing of the past. Its just an exam, not the end all be all, everything you need to know are in their books. I was scoring 7s starting off in EK verbal, and 9 on princeton review, by the time I was done, I was scoring 9s and 10s on EK verbal and 11s and 12s on Princeton Review, with a 10 on real MCAT Verbal, so go figure!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shipment of MCAT, January 2, 2013
I was happy in how I received it and arrived quickly. I am happy with the company I bought from.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content but ..., January 23, 2012
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so I can't really say if it's a good value or will help my scores (although it seems pretty good, content-wise.) I am giving it only three stars however, because the pages are a glossy kind of material and it forces me to constantly be holding the books at just the right angle to be able to read them at all. Pretty inconvenient when you consider the hours you have to put in to prepare for the MCAT. However, I have the 5th edition, and that doesn't seem to be available anymore on Amazon. I don't know if the later editions are made from the same material.

PS: Their audio osmosis seems decent, too. Don't believe the reviews that the guys are actually funny, though. Smart - yes. Funny - heck no.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

MCAT Complete Study Package, Sixth Edition (Exam Krackers)
MCAT Complete Study Package, Sixth Edition (Exam Krackers) by Jonathan Orsay (Paperback - October 31, 2005)
Used & New from: $3.72