5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Books
Published on April 1, 2007 by pulluptothebumper

3.0 out of 5 stars a series of unfortunate events.
First off, I love this series and find it marvelously whimsical and entertaining and a good light read. That being said it is definitely one of my favorite children's series of all time and I wanted to have a unified set for my collection that i could keep for a while. I was well familiar with the look and feel of the books and liked them when i originally received them...
Published on March 11, 2011 by kdizzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Books, April 1, 2007
pulluptothebumper (Newcastle upon Tyne UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Wreck (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-13) (Hardcover)
I'm not going add anything as to the content of this fantastic series of books, as this is already well covered in other reviews. But I wanted to say something about the quality of the offering. Another reviewer claims the quality is "awful", and in particular complains about the cut of the pages. With the greatest respect, my view is pretty much the opposite. I bought the first book in the UK edition, and then ordered the US box set. The US editions found the box set are much much nicer, with cloth bound spines, gorgeous covers, end papers and beautiful thick paper. Yes, the paper is cut irregularly, but that, surely, is the point? It adds to the considerable charm of the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Lemoy Snicket!, March 21, 2007
Both my daughters, ages 12 and 9 are enjoying these books. My oldest daughter never wants to read anything I suggest, but she loves these books. She had 187 AR points during the last report period thanks in great part to this series. Even my youngest daughter was so enthralled by the books that she is reading them on her own (she usually only wants to read "easy" books). I believe these are the longest books she has read by herself. That's why we love Lemony Snicket!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this..., December 20, 2006
I loved reading this Series. It is amazing how talented Lemony Snicket is to write an amazing series of books. The plots are very mysterious, and puzzling, especially with Count Olaf's urge to steal the Baudelaire fortune. I do not want to give away the rest of the story. I am on the 7th book, The Vile Village, and it is excellent so far. I would consider reading them in order, from Book 1 to 13, because you will understand more and more about Count Olaf and his plans before. I have a friend that reads them out of order, but say it does not matter since each is a different story. I definitely recommend this to any reader who loves puzzling, and suspenseful books, or one who just adores reading a series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Books Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, June 1, 2007
A Kid's Review
I have read a lot in my ten years of life,but out of all those books,A Series Of Unfortunate Events have been the best. Some of it is funny, some of it is scary, and some of it is a little weird. If you mix that all together, you get 13 wonderful books. I wouldn't reccomend it for kids under 10 though, because like I said it is scary, although it's not always as scary as Lemony Snicket says it is. Some of it is a little violent, actually. Other than that they are great books. Oh, and people have been complaining about how some of the pages are uneven. That is how they are supposed to be! The End still leaves you with some questions, but when you find out the answer to a question your like, "O MY GOSH! VFD!"! And some times Lemony Snicket does something very unexpected, like in the 6th book when Esme Squalor pushes them down the dark elevator shaft, the next 2 pages were nothing but black, which was very scary because then I was reading in the car at night with no light but my book light. There are 2 reasons I am going to stop now. Reason #1: That is pretty much all you need to know, and Reasom #2 My hands ache from typing for 20 minutes strait. BYE BYE AND HAPPY READING!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Woefully Wonderful, July 21, 2010
I find it very ironic to call such a piece of work where the author themselves asks you to steer clear of its terribleness a MUST READ. My first impression of this series was a bit of a skeptical one. The covers looked a bit grisly and Klaus was a Harry Potter look-a-like in my eyes. OH how wrong I was! This series is far from grisly...its sweetly dark. Just when you know all hope is bleakest, the children pull through and rely on their collective strength of heart.

Though we constantly are slapped in the face with how unfortunate these children are suppose to be, we see glimpses of how fortunate they really are. Each of them has a talent or ability that ends up protecting their sibling from one disastrous demise after another. I also find it endearing that the youngest child Sunny really becomes her own person and develops a skill other than her most significant one (biting :P). Everything about this series can really appeal to any age, especially that of a growing young person. So if you have a young aspiring reader, this series could truly teach them everything they need to know about the kindness as well as the meaness of strangers and the powerful that lies in hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST AWESOME!!, February 4, 2007
A Kid's Review
I got the first book from my teacher as a project and I just had to have the WHOLE collection! So I'm having my mother buy them for me!

I got glued to them in first chapter!! I don't like Count one bit! I saw the movie a little while ago and it's kinda like the book and I asked my mother if it was after a book of some sort and she said yes and she asked my teacher about it if he had a copy of one of them and if I could borrow it if he did and I still love the book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-13, July 24, 2007
I think the series of unfortunate event is really good because the author tell the story in a fun way, unlike other stories, this book is really exciting. When I finish a chapter, I want to keep reading on because I wanted to know the ending quickly. I really like the character - violet on this story, she is really smart and calm all the times. I think the ending is really cool because it did not exactly tell us what happen, it leave us space for us to think

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous story! But it is suggested that you do not read it..., May 24, 2011
Daniel Handler utilizes the moniker "Lemony Snicket" to commence the documentation of the life of three siblings that are bundled up under the title of "A Series of Unfortunate Events". Thirteen Books, each of them containing thirteen chapters inside, how more superstitious one can get? Well the thing is, I think it's a bit of dark humor since really only BAD things happen to the siblings along the way. Even when they finally feel like something good is about to happen something else whisks it away from them, like Count Olaf and his henchmen. Anyways by now most have seen the movie, and it's quite close to the books, but not that close, still though, decent. The books are far more interesting, and lets your imagination run wild. This coming from a 23 year old guy. The thing that strikes me is that I started reading these when the whole "Harry Potter Fandom" thing was up and about devouring everyone's souls. I've always been one to keep away from fandoms and look for more curiouser and more unique things that are usually hidden and under-appreciated. At that time, A Series of Unfortunate Evens had been put down because of Klaus having the same glasses as Harry, which is ridiculous. Anyways, get your hands on this incredible boxset and dive into a world of great misery and adventure. Including chapter titles that begin with the same letter (I hope you've noticed this by now, like for instance, "Grim Grotto", "Slippery Slope" etc)and the most interesting cast of characters ever before discovered in a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars cheers to lemony by orangy snicket, October 26, 2010
A series of unfortunate events
By Lemony Snicket
2010
How much better can you get than Lemony Snicket? A Series of Unfortunate Events is wickedly funny and a real cliff hanger. Lemony Sniket (the author) is a pen name for Daniel Handler. The 13 book series always ended with me begging for more, they are about three children whose parents died in a fire that also burned down there mansion the children become orphans and are forced to live with their fourth cousin who has been three times removed. Count Olaf wants to get all of the Baudelaires fortune so he think that if he adopts them he will get the fortune, but he finds out that he won't get it so he goes to plan b the puts on a play that he is in where he maries violet ( the oldest of the siblings). Every one finds out that he really was going to Maries violet to get there fortune so they send the Baudelaires away to many other relatives while the kids find out about there life and their parents lives' before they died. Olaf always follows the Baudelaires and discuses himself to get them. Every time he gets so close and they get away, lucky for them.
I thought that the 14 book series was hilarious and entertaining. I think that it is one of the best series if not the best series ever. I think that I will always remember the book. I would recommend it to anyone who loves mystery and drama.
With all due respect,
Orangey Snicket

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, October 25, 2010
I'm not a big reader but I have always wanted to read these books-"A Series of Unfortunate Events Book the First" By Lemony Snicket. Right off the bat he tells us if we are interested in stories with happy endings, we would be better off reading some other book because not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle. The first chapter of this book the children receive terrible news-their parents have died in a fire and all their belongings, and their home has been destroyed in a fire. As the book goes on everything continues to go wrong for these kids. One might say they are magnets for misfortune. The man they are living with, Count Olaf, who is supposed to be their fourth cousin three times removed, turns out he is out to get rid of the children and steal their fortune. He comes up with a brilliant plan to put on a theatrical play where he ends up marrying Violet, one of the orphan kids, so that he is legally entitled to their money. In their town a legal marriage consists of being present in front of a judge, her saying "I do", and form being signed in her own hand. The children are very smart as well though and they catch on to his plan and once the end nears you think that it's going to have a happy ending because that is what has been leading on...and then it ends horribly. Just like he said it would. I really liked how descriptive the book was I could picture everything in detail, I could even smell what Count Olaf's house smelled like. But I didn't like how horrible he was to the children. Hitting them, taking the little infant and putting tape over her mouth and dangling her over a tower thirty feet up. I thought it was sad and far too much. A quote that I really liked in the book was "So unless you have been very, very lucky you know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have no changed one bit." That's another thing I really liked about the book. The narrator would cut in and make truthful comments like this about what like really is like. Overall I really liked the book. I enjoyed reading it-I probably had every emotion there is while reading this book. I was scared, sad, happy, relieved, tense, curious (as to what was going to happen), etc. If a book can get me to feel all those things then I think it's a great book. I'm looking forward to reading all the other books as well. It truly is a "Series of Unfortunate Events".

The Complete Wreck (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-13)
The Complete Wreck (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-13) by Lemony Snicket (Hardcover - October 13, 2006)
$165.00 $93.22