Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 1, 2007
I'm not going add anything as to the content of this fantastic series of books, as this is already well covered in other reviews. But I wanted to say something about the quality of the offering. Another reviewer claims the quality is "awful", and in particular complains about the cut of the pages. With the greatest respect, my view is pretty much the opposite. I bought the first book in the UK edition, and then ordered the US box set. The US editions found the box set are much much nicer, with cloth bound spines, gorgeous covers, end papers and beautiful thick paper. Yes, the paper is cut irregularly, but that, surely, is the point? It adds to the considerable charm of the books.
33 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2007
Both my daughters, ages 12 and 9 are enjoying these books. My oldest daughter never wants to read anything I suggest, but she loves these books. She had 187 AR points during the last report period thanks in great part to this series. Even my youngest daughter was so enthralled by the books that she is reading them on her own (she usually only wants to read "easy" books). I believe these are the longest books she has read by herself. That's why we love Lemony Snicket!!!
on June 1, 2007
I have read a lot in my ten years of life,but out of all those books,A Series Of Unfortunate Events have been the best. Some of it is funny, some of it is scary, and some of it is a little weird. If you mix that all together, you get 13 wonderful books. I wouldn't reccomend it for kids under 10 though, because like I said it is scary, although it's not always as scary as Lemony Snicket says it is. Some of it is a little violent, actually. Other than that they are great books. Oh, and people have been complaining about how some of the pages are uneven. That is how they are supposed to be! The End still leaves you with some questions, but when you find out the answer to a question your like, "O MY GOSH! VFD!"! And some times Lemony Snicket does something very unexpected, like in the 6th book when Esme Squalor pushes them down the dark elevator shaft, the next 2 pages were nothing but black, which was very scary because then I was reading in the car at night with no light but my book light. There are 2 reasons I am going to stop now. Reason #1: That is pretty much all you need to know, and Reasom #2 My hands ache from typing for 20 minutes strait. BYE BYE AND HAPPY READING!! :)
on February 25, 2016
First of all I would like to say that I absolutely LOVE Lemony Snicket, especially "A Series of Unfortunate Events", I mean why else would I buy The Complete Wreck with ALL thirteen books included?! (Just kidding, kind of). The truth is I have loved the Lemony Snicket books since I was a child, and I purchased this box set as an early birthday present for my nephew (he is only three years old, but I'm such a proud uncle that I can't WAIT for him to learn how to read). Well enough fangirling (not sure what the male term for being a "fangirl" is) the reason I only gave 4 stars was because in 2006 when "The End" came out and this box set was released, I was expecting a poster inside of the cast of "The Marvelous Marriage" (from "The Bad Beginning" - book the first) it has been advertised that this poster would be included in the box set, however when the box was opened, no poster was inside :( kind of a let down, as the poster was more for my nephew than for me. (Trust me, as a TRUE Snicket fan, I have seen this poster countless times, on many different websites, but including the poster from "The Marvelous Marriage" would have been the icing on the cake for a PERFECT box set) i hope that somehow, someday I can get this poster in my grasps, and laminate it perfectly for my baby nephew. However; since I've read all the books myself (more than once) I can't wait for my nephew to dive into these books, maybe ask me questions about the plot?! Or just try to figure it out for himself?! Or MAYBE... (Just maybe?!) he will try to get in contact with Mr. Lemony Snicket?? (Hmmmm... One can dream). ALL THAT MATTERS; is that I can't WAIT to see what he gets out of these books at such a young age, and when he finishes reading, it'll be time to introduce him to "All The Wrong Questions" :) :) :) yes, I am literally THAT obsessed! Thank you for taking the time to read my review!

With All Due Respect,

Dalton Tannehill
review image
on July 21, 2010
I find it very ironic to call such a piece of work where the author themselves asks you to steer clear of its terribleness a MUST READ. My first impression of this series was a bit of a skeptical one. The covers looked a bit grisly and Klaus was a Harry Potter look-a-like in my eyes. OH how wrong I was! This series is far from grisly...its sweetly dark. Just when you know all hope is bleakest, the children pull through and rely on their collective strength of heart.

Though we constantly are slapped in the face with how unfortunate these children are suppose to be, we see glimpses of how fortunate they really are. Each of them has a talent or ability that ends up protecting their sibling from one disastrous demise after another. I also find it endearing that the youngest child Sunny really becomes her own person and develops a skill other than her most significant one (biting :P). Everything about this series can really appeal to any age, especially that of a growing young person. So if you have a young aspiring reader, this series could truly teach them everything they need to know about the kindness as well as the meaness of strangers and the powerful that lies in hope.
on February 4, 2007
I got the first book from my teacher as a project and I just had to have the WHOLE collection! So I'm having my mother buy them for me!

I got glued to them in first chapter!! I don't like Count one bit! I saw the movie a little while ago and it's kinda like the book and I asked my mother if it was after a book of some sort and she said yes and she asked my teacher about it if he had a copy of one of them and if I could borrow it if he did and I still love the book!!
on May 1, 2013
The first few books are wonderful. Clever witty and well written. Halfway through series it looks like writer got tired of series because style changes, stories become pedestrian (last book dull beyond belief), and no more humor. See others' ratings on individual books in series to see what I mean. Glad I got it on sale for Christmas because I'd be furious if I'd paid full price only to discover how bad writing & stories get in last few books of what began as a great series. First 6-7 books worth 5* each, final 5-6 worth 3, sometimes 4. Average for entire set: 4*
on December 20, 2006
I loved reading this Series. It is amazing how talented Lemony Snicket is to write an amazing series of books. The plots are very mysterious, and puzzling, especially with Count Olaf's urge to steal the Baudelaire fortune. I do not want to give away the rest of the story. I am on the 7th book, The Vile Village, and it is excellent so far. I would consider reading them in order, from Book 1 to 13, because you will understand more and more about Count Olaf and his plans before. I have a friend that reads them out of order, but say it does not matter since each is a different story. I definitely recommend this to any reader who loves puzzling, and suspenseful books, or one who just adores reading a series.
on January 22, 2016
My oldest daughter was a huge fan of Lemony Snicket and it took a long time for me to pay enough atttention to see how fun these books are. They are wonderfully written with a dry wit and self depracating charm that makes you laugh at the ordinary and believe the extraordinary. The characters are a combination of believable but just off the norm enough that it's as though you're looking through a window into a world that's not earth but close to it...like another dreary dimension. I read that there is going to be a new television series based on these books out soon so the first thing I thought of doing was sending my daughters books to her in college. Fun for everyone, creepy for the Dad's that like that and overall a great story that should be wholly inappropriate for children but it's told in a way that it doesn't seem so. Death, deception, intrigue, mystery and a bit of humor...awesome way to invest your time.
on February 22, 2016
I bought this set for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas, and she loves it. She started reading the set from the school library, but wasn't able to read them in sequence. Now she can read them whenever she wants; and she reads them often.