Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > 1Q84 forum

Complete or just 1&2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2011 12:49:18 PM PST
Otaku Reader says:
Anyone know if this will include all 3 parts, or just 1&2 with 3 to follow later like the Japanese release? I notice that 2 translators are credited here; I read that Mr. Gabriel was doing volume 3, so maybe this will be a complete edition...

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 2:05:24 PM PST
James B. says:
This article says that it will contain all three:
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/haruki-murakami-1q84-coming-1025-in-single-volume_b22114

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 8:38:59 PM PST
Otaku Reader says:
Thanks! My wife had to wait a year between part 2 and part 3.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 6:25:28 AM PDT
I'm less worried about the book being published in one volume as I am hoping there's no abridgment in the translation, like there has been in a few of Murakami's works, like "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles."

By the way, if Haruki Murakami is not given a Nobel Prize, there's no point in giving that award away. But I guess he's not European, so to the committee, he doesn't write Serious Literature, and they'll continue giving it to obscure European writers no one reads, even in Europe. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 1:40:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2011 1:53:10 PM PDT
Jon says:
Kenzaburo Oe is a Japanese writer and he won the Nobel Prize for literature. Yasunari Kawabata was another Japanese writer who won it. Both incredible authors. Sadly, their readership is nowhere near as large as H. Murakami. There is something about Murakami's narrative voice that is really great though. I'm really excited for the new one...and even more stoked that they've bundled it in one volume for us.

edit:
Just in case you're interested in the authors I mentioned:
For Oe I suggest his short story called, "The Catch." For his novels I really like, "Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids" or "The Silent Cry." A lot of his stuff is violent, but beautiful too.

For Kawabata check out, "Snow Country" or a novella of his called, "The Dancing Girl of Izu." Minimalist prose but really beautiful. The man can say twenty words with just five.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 8:41:01 PM PDT
Writer's who get read don't win the Nobel Prize anymore. But Oe and Kawabata were definitely top of their field in writing and because they won it, they'll remain in print which is good for all of us.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 2:14:09 PM PDT
Plasmamonkey says:
Didn't Yukio Mishima also get the Nobel Prize, or was he just nominated for it? Regardless, I'm glad this is the complete edition. Murakami's works are a thing of beauty. I'm already on my fifth novel of his.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 11:28:34 AM PDT
lospickles says:
Yukio Mishima was beat out by someone else, so he was only nominated

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 3:27:42 PM PDT
Tanizaki Junichiro was supposed to get the Nobel Prize but died before the award was bestowed upon someone. In his place was Kawabata. If you haven't read Tanizaki do yourself a favor, and keep in mind when you are reading his works he wrote them in the 1920s, some of them would be considered too mature to this day. Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 10:11:43 AM PDT
What worries me is that the print version appears to contain all three, but trying to order the 'Kindle version' of the same book offers what appears to be the UK edition of just volumes one and two. Has Amazon clarified what they are selling here?

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 8:55:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2011 8:59:15 AM PDT
Mostro says:
I have already bought and read Parts 1+2 in Spanish, so now it appears Tusquets is putting out a single volume of just Book 3 (in Spanish) in October. http://www.tusquetseditores.com/titulos/andanzas-1q84-libro-3

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 8:59:45 AM PDT
Volume three is available from Amazon UK. On paper. I'm still confused about what is available where for the Kindle.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:35:50 PM PDT
Can't be sure about the Kindle edition, but from the number of pages the hardback edition appears to be Books 1-3. On the UK Amazon site, they are selling Books 1-2 as one volume, and Book 3 as a separate volume. The total pages adds up to 992, similar to the number given for the hardback edition being sold here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:13:55 AM PDT
It is the Kindle edition that is the real mystery - the link goes to the UK vol 1&2 edition, and if correct, means getting the whole work will be much, much more expensive on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 10:43:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2011 10:43:22 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 5:30:23 PM PDT
it only contains Book 1 and 2, don't know when they will release book 3 ...

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 4:15:50 AM PDT
It is all three in the US edition which is "adapted for this volume..". anyone want to compare with the British version? :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 8:38:26 AM PST
Harvee L. says:
I have 1Q84 (Books 1-3) on Kindle U.S.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 10:07:05 AM PST
Why then when I click to buy the Kindle edition of 1Q84 1-3 am I sent to a page that shows the two volume version? How did you buy it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  1Q84 forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
1Q84
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (Hardcover - October 25, 2011)
3.7 out of 5 stars (1,166)