Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Completely Refutable Garbage

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2009 8:17:28 AM PST
This book is confusing cause and effect. If you aren't using this book for kindling, you should probably go back to school and take some Critical Thinking classes. I can refute everything in this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 12:16:39 PM PST
Rolio says:
Okay. Start refuting.. we can wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 12:16:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 10:39:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 12:16:45 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 15, 2009 10:39:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 1:40:20 PM PST
Laura says:
If you don't like it then don't read it... why do people waste their time and energy talking about what crap it is.. go do something else then...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 11:14:10 PM PDT
because its like fraudulent and maybe some people dont like seeing others get takin for a ride

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 10:55:53 AM PDT
J. Beshur says:
I agree that simple statements like "it's garbage" are silly. However, although I do think the concepts
from "The Secret" type books do work for some people...like chanting "nom yahor rengay keyo" or praying for a BMW car works for some people sometimes.... there are some issues I can't resolve.

If I am looking for something and I set my mind on it, then chances are I will find it. When I want a spiritual lesson or a teacher, Buddhism says one will appear, although it may be a tree or a song, etc. It may not be an actual person or a teaching book. The very act of looking for something presupposes a propensity to seeing it. There are billions of possibilities out there, but mostly we miss them because we lack the seeing...being caught up in everything OTHER than the moment. So when we focuss on that item we desire...it becomes that which we see...seeing the trees in the forest, rather than the trees.

I had a car I didn't need. I was on my path to donate it. I met a kid who was fixated on bringing himself a vehicle, only he was fixated on something shiny and red and new. I met him. I listened to him. I tried to tell him he just needed transportation, but he knew he had the secret of obaining his dreams. I never offered him the dull red car. He could have made it shiny with some wax, but his trail was fixated.

I think, please correct me, William Zizzo's first remark is about cause and effect. Maybe that young fellow got his shiny red car. My father followed Napoleon Hill and Nightengale to the "t" and he sacrificed much to get his dreams. In the end he died alone and his children had no use for the father they lost to the success of business and work. That's just an aside and not really connected to Zizzo's post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 8:09:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2009 8:10:33 AM PST
Rolio says:
Why is anybody really negatively adamant about anything? Fear.

Perhaps he's scared that everything he's learned in his life may be wrong.. or scared that he actually has control over his life and he's done a "poor" job.. or scared that he must take responsibility for his own reality and it's overwhelming. Maybe some people aren't ready for that kind of responsibility. Some people simply do not want freedom.

Posted on May 19, 2010 1:59:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2010 1:59:27 PM PDT
And some people want to ignore how reality works so they can wish their way to success.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2010 11:17:25 AM PDT
Rolio says:
Much more than "wishing" Will, but then if you read the book or saw the movie you'd know that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:10:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 9:12:02 AM PDT
BorgChick says:
It is garbage and if anyone has some sense of civic duty they will try to expose this book for what it is. The Secret is a scam and it only benefits the people who are selling it. I can't believe it has so many good reviews. What is happening to our society? People shouldn't get away with publishing such unscientific nonsense. Yes, some of the concepts may help some people but selling them as scientific facts is FRAUD.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:43:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 9:15:42 PM PDT

ISSUE THE FIRST

=======================================

"Okay. Start refuting.. we can wait."--------sentence 1 of paragraph 1, from the comment of "Rolio"
on Mar 5, 2009 12:16:39 PM PST
regarding the discussion topic, "Completely Refutable Garbage" on Amazon.com

=====================================

=============================================

"Bruce.. I completely agree with you there concerning Scientific Standard. What I'm inferring is that although The Secret may use words like "Scientific proof", etc... that it is *not* a book on scientific process."---------sentence 1 of paragraph 1, from the comment of "Rolio" on Nov 11, 2011 2:53:33 AM PST regarding the review of "Book Club Diva" for "The Secret" on Amazon.com

=========================================

(1) First, there is your own public recognition of the fact that the teachings of the 24 Master Teachers, in their claim that the Law of Attraction is a Scientific Law, is not truthful nor factual in their claim, then your assertion proves their teaching to be False.

Because the 24 Master Teachers and Rhonda Byrne are claiming that their teachings concerning the Law of Attraction identifies a Scientific Law.

Thus, when you write that they are not teaching a Scientific Law, you are identifying their teaching as an expressly False and Non-Factual Teaching.

ISSUE THE SECOND

===============================================

"THAT SAID, if instead you regard it as a book of wisdom, inspiration, and insight, then you may learn about how the universe works via as-yet scientifically unproven principles."-----------paragraph 2, from the comment of "Rolio" on Nov 11, 2011 2:53:33 AM PST regarding the review of "Book Club Diva" for "The Secret" on Amazon.com

=================================================

(1) What rational criteria can you offer as justification, to "regard"
the book written by the 24 Master Teachers, to be other than they claim it to be?

This is what is so enigmatic and confusing about what the 24 Master Teachers write as Fact, and what you as a reviewer propose to be Fact; to wit, you directly contradict their published claims.

The express statement of the 24 Master Teachers, is that the Law of Attraction is a Scientific Law.

Then, in defiance of all Logic, you invite the reading public to accept what is equivalent,
(for lack of some euphemism) to a Lie. You invite the reading public to disregard the claim of the 24 Master Teachers when they explicitly indicate that the Law of Attraction is a Scientific Law.

Thus "Rolio" what you are teaching the reading public is that it is acceptable to Bear False Witness.

(2) So tell me "Rolio"; it this Lie is acceptable to you, what other Lies are acceptable to you?

If someone on the Internet slandered your person, would you claim that it was not Factual that they slandered your person? Would you excuse the slander and say that the reading public should "regard" what was published about you to merely be a "wisdom"?

Frankly my friend, I doubt that you would present this to be the case. However, if you argued consistently in your experience, what you argue here, to wit, that we should accept false statements and accept false statements as "wisdom" then you would be compelled to operate on your own premises so as to refer to false statements as "wisdom".

I would propose that you re-examine what you are doing to your mind and spirit with these arguments.

ISSUE THE THIRD

----------------------------------------------------------------

The 24 MASTER TEACHERS write about RELIGION, as follows, in "The Secret":

"Religions, such as Hinduism, Hermetic traditions, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and civilizations, such as the ancient Babylonians and Egyptians delivered it through their writings and stories. Recorded throughout the ages in all its forms, the law can be found in ancient writings through all the centures. It was recorded in stone in 3000 BC. Even though some coveted this knowledge, and indeed they did, it has always been there for anyone to discover."--bottom of page 4, and top of page 5, "The Secret"

So what's wrong with this general statement?

One must go back to page 2, and Dr. Denis Waitley's quote:

"THE LEADERS IN THE PAST WHO HAD THE SECRET
WANTED TO KEEP THE POWER AND NOT SHARE THE POWER.
THEY KEPT PEOPLE IGNORANT OF THE SECRET.
PEOPLE WENT TO WORK, THE DID THEIR JOB, THEY CAME HOME.
THE SECRET WAS KEPT IN THE FEW".--p. 2, Dr. Waitley

Obviously, most of the writing in the previously identified Babylonian and Egyptian civilization was in some sense under the dominion of the LEADERS. The proposition that the SECRET was simultaneously "kept in the few" while at the same time, published in the writings and stories (oral tradition) of two entire major civilizations as well as FOUR MAJOR RELIGIONS and the HERMETIC TRADITION, is about as irrational a claim as can be made. Why mince words about it?

It just doesn't make any sense at all.

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONCLUSION

This is a self-evident and transparent issue. If "The Secret" is "mistaken" as you indicate in your comment, then it serves for justification for a rejection of the teachings, rather than an acceptance of them.

(A) It is a false statement that the LAW OF ATTRACTION is a Scientific Law.

(B) It is a false statment that the teachings of the 24 Master Teachers are "secret" anyway.
The Sciences are not Secrets. That is why we refer to them as Objective.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:18:47 AM PST
Rolio says:
"The Secret is a scam and it only benefits the people who are selling it."

Based upon the overwhelming number of positive reviews with many explaining how it has changed their lives for the better, the statement is wrong. Hmmm... Could you be missing something vital?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:26:02 PM PST
badboy says:
Rolio, again...reviews like "this was a great book"! "I got a $30 pair of designer shades!"?

The thing you're missing Rolio is random chance. Read Fooled by Randomness to get a perspective. Basically, if you have 19 million readers who changed their attitude, sure, some of them will change their life because of that. But, some of them will simply get lucky in life - whether or not they read The Secret.

But The Secret isn't about changing your attitude for the better.

Again Rolio, how many have quit their jobs? Name one.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:19:01 PM PST
Rolio says:
Really badboy? You believe in luck.. wow. Wouldn't have taken you for a superstitious guy.

What's the matter - You tried using the LOA and couldn't get what you wanted? Just couldn't pull the mental focus together, could you? Oh well, reality manifestation at will isn't for everybody.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:37:49 PM PST
badboy says:
Luck isn't superstition - I think you are confused.

Luck - you get hit by a drunk driver, there goes all your manifestation - so much for creating your own reality. And nothing to do with superstition.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:29:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 8:01:06 AM PST
Rolio says:
"Luck isn't superstition"???? Can you prove luck scientifically?

W/o even taking LOA into it, you got hit by a drunk driver because:
1) You're out on the road: your odds of getting hit just skyrocketed;
2) You're talking or texting on the cell phone: your odds just went up;
3) The road is wet: your odds just went up;
4) You're not a very aware driver in the first place thus you didn't give that drunk driver a wide berth: your odds just went up;
5) Your reaction time isn't very good: your odds just went up;
6) You're tired, stressed, distracted: your odds just went up;
7) You've had a drink yourself: your odds just went up;
8) Wrong place, wrong time: odds went up.

Practicing willful LOA increases the odds of getting what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:23:38 AM PST
badboy says:
Why would a proponent of LOA be concerned about proving luck scientifically???

And yes, you can - flip a coin a million times and you'll see streaks of heads or tails, but it will even out in the long run.

I don't think you understand luck and do not understand LOA either. LOA is not about increasing the odds - it claims if you do, you shall have. Not if you do, you increase your chances of having.

Interesting that 6 of the 8 points you mentioned relate to the would-be victim's actions too.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 12:08:48 PM PST
Rolio says:
Science is still science. Someday LOA will probably be proven scientifically. Just not yet.

Good try on the coin flip.. but that's all odds. Perhaps it would make a good experiment to see if a regular practitioner of the LOA principles can change the odds.

You're right, I don't understand luck, leprechauns, or black cats.. but using the principles outlined in The Secret indeed change the odds. Look at it this way: your mind has a trillion variables and a trillion different paths to your goals. Those variables are set to whatever you've learned, experienced, or born into. Start practicing the principles and those variables are set to line up with your goals. The more variables you set, the more clear is the reality that manifests around your visions.

"Interesting that 6 of the 8 points you mentioned relate to the would-be victim's actions too."
Of course. The universe really does revolve around the individual.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:47:54 AM PST
badboy says:
As usual, you make absolutely no sense. I like this "Good try on the coin flip...but that's all odds". Funny that the 8 points you mentioned were about "odds". LOL. That's my point - it's about odds, and the odds of any given flip beings heads are 50%. But flip a million times and you'll see streaks of say 5 heads in a row, the odds against which are 1 in 32.

I guarantee an LOA practitioner would not change the odds.

You cannot make a claim that someday LOA will be proven scientifically. How do you know that?

Go back and read the reviews for the subsequent books and see how many said they bought the first book. Why do they need another book? If The Secret was really The Secret, no need to purchase another. And, dig deeper into all these stories, and you'll find a practical reason for events. One reviewer as I mentioned previously said they were able to buy a house at 25% of market value. Well, turns out the house had never been lived in, and was on the market for 6 years. Okkkkk....now what's the rest of the story there? Most decent houses will sell within days or at most a couple months...6 years, you know something's not right.

There are tons of books on this stuff, and everyone keeps buying them. Yet, is there one book that explains the actual steps other than thinking positively and imagining your goals and sending love? How, exactly, do you do that specifically? Do you have to do it 24/7, is one hour of feeling upset going to blow the rest of the week you were thinking positively? There are so many questions, yet no one has been able to provide a proper answer.

If the universe revolves around the individual, well there are some 7 billion individuals it's revolving around, and you are but 1 of that number. Also, do you seriously think none of the other 6,999,999,999 individuals has an effect on you? If you do, if you think that even one of those individuals has an effect on you, then LOA does not and cannot work.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 3:52:45 AM PST
badboy says:
Oh and one I just love from a thread on The Magic. Someone started a thread asking why the Kindle version cost $2 more than paper. Well, if the book is going to change your life and give you everything you want, why is $2 an issue?

LOA at its finest. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:54:54 AM PST
badboy says:
btw still waiting on you to provide name of one person who's quit their job by practicing LOA successfully. Considering there were apparently 19 million readers or something - shouldn't be hard now should it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 5:44:54 AM PST
Rolio says:
"I guarantee an LOA practitioner would not change the odds."

You "guarantee"? I doubt it.

"Well, turns out the house had never been lived in, and was on the market for 6 years. Okkkkk....now what's the rest of the story there? "

The story there is IT HAPPENED. Period. Doesn't matter how.

"There are tons of books on this stuff, and everyone keeps buying them."

Yes.. we like to hear it in different ways until it speaks to us in a way we can understand it. Apparently, you haven't found a source that speaks to you yet. But by nature of the fact that you read this, or implied you did, means that you're still seeking that source that speaks to you.

"How, exactly, do you do that specifically?"

Oh.. you want to be spoon fed? LOL., You don't want to have to explore on your own.. you want to be given an EXACT map to your destination? How boring. If you read these sources with an open mind, the "map" will be there.

"If you do, if you think that even one of those individuals has an effect on you, then LOA does not and cannot work."

But it does. Hmmm.. seeming paradox. That's the thing about having experience, you "know" instead of talking out your butt. I suggest you keep seeking.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:59:38 AM PST
badboy says:
Your claims are ridiculous. I'm not seeking anything, nor do I expect to be spoon fed. And authors of these books are getting rich providing what you admit to less than adequate instruction. I don't see any of these books saying it would not be exciting enough if we gave you full instructions, instead we'll just give you the basics and leave the rest for you to figure out. So that is complete and utter nonsense. You are clearly just making this stuff up as you go along, without any real answers.

Justifying the proliferation of books on the subject by saying we're all looking for one that "speaks to us" is ridiculous too, and you know it. New authors are not writing in order to full a gap, they're looking to cash in.

It does matter how it happened. Again, ridiculous to say it doesn't pay to review the circumstances surrounding an event and take everyone's word at face value. Typical of LOA too - ignore reality and the real reasons.

Oh I guarantee it. Take a coin and imagine all you want it will come up heads 100 times in a row, and cone back and tell us how you did. I'll eagerly wait for your results. Go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 10:05:27 AM PST
badboy says:
Answer the paradox too, instead of telling me to get experience and I'm lazy. Nice dodge, and typical of LOA proponents.

Or how about this? "Why are you here? If you don't like it go somewhere else". LOL.

All those books, yet no real answers. Wonder why...hmmm.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2013

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set)
The Secret (Unabridged, 4-CD Set) by Rhonda Byrne (Audio CD - November 28, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (5,202)