5.0 out of 5 stars Do it yourself

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Blessing
Comply foams are good in three cases:

1) the stock eartips on your IEMs strike you as uncomfortable;
2) you need better isolation than whatever ear tips you are using;
3) you have driver flex issues in your dynamic driver IEM.

Numbers 1 & 2 are pretty straightforward. What is driver flex? Read on.

Driver flex is the dark secret...
Published on September 12, 2012 by Severian

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it yourself, January 2, 2010
These are quite good, but they do wear out. (Mine phones take T-500's, but I assume the same holds for T-400.) I tired of paying four bucks a pair for them. So I got some foam ear plugs (like Hearos http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4). I cut them down with scissors and punched holes with a leather hole punch. They are just as comfortable and work every bit as well as the purpose-built tips, but they cost about 25 cents a pair.

o Punch a hole that's small enough to get a snug fit on the sound tube.
o Don't make them too long, or the foam will shrink in around the distal opening and reduce the treble.
o You could salvage the little plastic inserts out of the foam tips that come with the earphones, but I find they are not necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Blessing, September 12, 2012
Comply foams are good in three cases:

1) the stock eartips on your IEMs strike you as uncomfortable;
2) you need better isolation than whatever ear tips you are using;
3) you have driver flex issues in your dynamic driver IEM.

Numbers 1 & 2 are pretty straightforward. What is driver flex? Read on.

Driver flex is the dark secret of most dynamic driver IEMS. When you shove the driver deep in your ear canal (or even not so deep) the air pressure can sometimes make the tiny thin little driver inside the housing move a little bit. You can hear this happening; when you push the driver in, if you hear a cellophane like wrinkling noise, that is driver flex.

What happens after the driver flexes? Sometimes nothing, all is well. (However, the long term health of the driver may be at risk. There is no real evidence one way or the other, but anecdotally, many online users claim their earphones had shorter lifespans due to driver flex.) Other times, you will have volume level drop in one or both ears, sometimes even no volume at all in the affected drivers. Other times, you will have bass drop out in one or both ears. These two problems - volume level disparity and no bass - are vastly common complaints in earphone land. How many of these complaints are actual defects and how many are due to relatively easily fixable driver flex? Who knows? Note though that balanced armature IEMs seem to be immune to this issue as they work differently in terms of mechanics and seem relatively insensitive to pressure flex.

Not all dynamic drivers have the flex issue. It depends to some extent on driver shape, then on eartip shape and material, then on internal ear canal shapes for each user. My dynamic drivers from Monster and Shure were never affected by this issue at all. Other models I own from Thinksound, RHA, Velodyne, and MEElectronics have the problem to a greater or lesser degree. My BA models - from UE, Etymotics, & Brainwavz - have never had this issue at all.

Comply foams fix the flex issue by expanding slowly after you compress and insert them. This gradual expansion does not create the sudden pressure changes that can mess up dynamic IEMs. Plus the Comply foam is soft and isolates well.

What's the downside?

1) Attenuated treble, warmer sound. Many people like this combo. If you like classical or acoustic jazz, it makes a lot of music far less enjoyable. All earphones I tried various Comply models on had this issue - T100, T200, T400s on Monsters, Velodynes, Brainwavz, UE, & Thinksound. More bass emphasis, less highs. I absolutely disagree with Comply's statement that there is no audible effect on music with use of their foams. There may not be much effect, depending on your music. Jay Z may sound fine, but Mahler's Fifth or Sketches of Spain will sound much the worse with Comply foams.
2) Hard to keep clean. Like Shure "olives" the Complies tend to soak up ear wax that silicone tips would never attract. This interacts with problem 3 below, as the foams then need frequent cleaning. Plus if you take them out with ear schumz and can't clean them right away, the wax dries and looks foul.
3) Durability. Complys do not take well to the rigorous life of portable IEMs. If you baby them, clean them properly and store your phones in a case, you'll get about 2 months of use before they start to lose pieces and compress less easily. If you shove em in your pocket or knapsack, maybe a month of use, barring acute traumatic episodes.
4) Cost! Do the math 1 - 2 months per pair, 3 pairs per package, $ X for cost and shipping. It's like having a mini cable bill. The stock silicones that came with your IEMs will last six months minimum and are dirt cheap to replace if and when you need them.

The Comply TX series costs more than the T series and adds an ear wax filter screen. These don't sound worse than the T series (i.e. still adds warmth, attenuates highs) but they do add cost for a sort of gimmick. Many canalphones already have a filter or grill across the sound tube, and my relatively waxy ears never produced any accumulation of wax on the internal filters on the TX400. Unless you have a regular candle factory in your ear, the 15% price increase is not justified.

The Comply series is an imperfect solution to some very common IEM problems. Unfortunately, there are not many other universal fit solutions available for multi-brands. Shure and Etymotic tips are much more durable, cost less, and don't mess up the sound as much. The Sony Hybrids are also a fine tip choice. Unfortunately, all these other brands do not necessarily fit brands other than their manufacturers. A secure fit is vital, otherwise the tip gets wedged in your ear and you are off to a loved one with tweezers in hand, or off to the ER if you have no loved ones available. Unless you are positive your Shure Olive or Hybrid will fit your specific Brand X, Comply is the only game in town if you don't like your original fitting options with a given earphone.

Comply has a new TS series tip out with an oval shape (a la Klipsch Image S4s) which is said to attenuate the highs less. Haven't heard them myself, they don't seem to be available on Amazon, and, of course, they cost more than the base models. Considering the unhappy cost to usefulness ratio of the TX series, I would say caveat emptor...

5.0 out of 5 stars Blocks out annoying conversations, October 22, 2013
I work in healthcare and take the company shuttle. The early AM driver loves to play synthed-out slow jam mixtapes loudly; I wear these so that I don't get into the lovemaking mood too early on in the day. They also block out the banter between the living and breathing HIPAA violations known as coworkers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improving in-ear heaphone performance, March 22, 2009
I purchased the Sennheiser CX-400 in-ear headphones. I did not like the earpieces that came with the headphones and I am using the Comply T-400 foam tips instead. They are more comfortable and make a better seal for noise abatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessity, June 17, 2009
These eartips were a really great investment for a number of reasons:
1) They offer a tight seal for maximum noise isolation and bass response.
2) They are extremely comfortable. I can wear them for hours and not even notice they are there, even though they are inserted deep into my ear canal.
3) It is only $5 a pair, and I have heard these last for months before the foam starts to lose its elasticity.
4) They stay in your ears no matter how much you shake your head or move around

They obviously also have a few downsides:
1) They tend to roll off the highs a little bit, nothing too extreme, but if you are an audiophile like I am just beware (I have my ipod set to treble boost to compensate)
2) The foam DOES degrade after some time, and although it takes awhile, it just sucks.
3) They are extremely annoying to get on and off of the headphones - it feels like the foam will tear off (it doesn't)

Overall, this stuff is a necessary luxury - buy it and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with your IEMs? Try these before returning them., January 29, 2010
I've done an about face when it comes to these Comply Foam Tips. They're capable of resurrecting phones that initially appear to be bass-deprived or lacking in volume. Upon using these with my Altec Titaniums, Sennheiser CX-300s, Sleek Audio 1's, Phillips SHE-9850s, the phones came to life as never before. Previously, I had dismissed the foam tips for several reasons:

1. Sony advises against their use, and the Sony MDR-EX300, 500, and 700 phones (either the LP or the SL versions), are so good that foam tips are a bad investment.

2. Even if the tips transform your little ear plugs into magnificent concert halls, they're quick to register wear and tear not to mention dirt. At five bucks or more per pop, it can be pricey to replace these every month or two.

Be sure to check the Comply site to get the right fit, consider black (it shows less dirt), and don't become overly alarmed if the tips become a formless blob when you attach them to your phones. They'll shape up within a minute or two.

They're over-priced in terms of the material but not necessarily in terms of effectiveness. Every user of IEM phones definitely needs to have a supply on hand along with silicone replacement tips. (Along with Comply foam tips, I'd recommend the packages of Sony Hybrid tips, which come to about $2 per pair and don't wear out.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comply Foam Tips make your phones sound better., May 2, 2009
Ask yourself if any of the following things would make your ear buds better:
-more bass
-more comfortable / stay in ears better
-block more outside noise

If the answer is "yes," then try the Comply Tips. They are expensive, but they really make a huge difference.

I'm using them with my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5's when I travel, Sennheiser CX300's when I jog, and Griffin TuneBuds when I'm doing yard work. They make a dramatic improvement in all cases. I find that I can turn the EQ off on my iPod, and get all of the bass I want without distortion. And nothing does a better job blocking out the sound of the lawn mower or the guy next to you on the plane. Once you put them into your ears your body heat causes them to expand and fill your ear canal like memory foam. They are very comfortable and form a tight seal.

I only wish I could find a place to buy them in bulk, like a bag of 20 or 50, to get the price per set down. I change mine about every 6-8 weeks. I've also tried the Shure EA210 tips, but they are not as good and don't last as long.

If you like music, and want to hear more detail and get more bass from your current ear-buds, buy some of these tips. You will be amazed by the difference they make. They should make a free sample set available so that people could try them, because once you try better tips you will not want to go back to the rubber ones.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product to upgrade existing earphones, October 25, 2010
These are great for noise isolation at the office and in my opinion help increase the crispness and overall sound quality of my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5vi IEM because of the way they seal off and funnel the sound into your ears. They sound great. In case you are wondering Amazon ships a 3-pack of size M. I might try L and buy directly from the manufacturer when these 3 pairs wear out. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable!, January 30, 2014
These earphone tips have made my previously uncomfortable pairs of earphones much more comfortable! I used to have a lot of pain from countless different brands of earphones and was about ready to switch over to the more expensive on ear headphones but these earphone tips saved them. They are not only very comfortable but also do a great job with noise isolation. I couldn't hear a co-worker talking to me while he was standing behind my chair! Very satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay put and more importantly, contribute to excellent sound, April 22, 2013
I bought these when the rubber tips included with the Velodyne vPulses would cause them to slip out of my ears far too easily and often. It was a little disconcerting to me that these are made of foam at first, since I assume they retain some of the goodies hanging out in your ears, but I guess that's why they suggest that you change them every 2 months, and that 3 pairs are included.

Now, my vPulses stay perfectly put in my ears while moving, and are very, very comfortable to boot. Once you get used to them (they do tend to make your ear feel "stuffed"), you very quickly forget you're even wearing in-ear buds. And because of this, the already excellent bass on my vPulses were enhanced that much more. Now they don't last forever, but that's something made clear going in.

I definitely recommend these if you don't mind knowing you'll have to buy more in 6 months. That's the only caveat to owning these. Otherwise, fantastic.