5.0 out of 5 stars These are very nice foam tips.
Published on November 7, 2009 by Mr. Smarty

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Worthless and Definitely Overpriced
I bought these for a rather expensive pair of Klipsch earbuds. They did a pretty good job at isolation, but really no better than the several options supplied (for free) by Klipsch. The problem is that they only lasted a couple weeks. The flange that holds the tips in place oveer the earbuds is not sturdy, so putting them in and taking them out quickly wears out the...
Published 12 months ago by chris

5.0 out of 5 stars These are very nice foam tips., November 7, 2009
Mr. Smarty (Bennington, VT) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comply Tx-100 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pairs, Medium) (Electronics)
I have used all sorts of tips for canalphones. There is no question that foam tips are the superior choice. They fill the entire ear canal and block out all sound, they are very comfortable and durable. I had a pair of E3C's and always used the Shure overpriced foam tips. After they died I bought the Klipsch canalphones and these ComplyTx-100s. This is a very nice product. They are designed far better than the Shure tips. They are less bulky and a better fit to the ear canal. Very comfortable. The wax-blocker thing is a definite plus. I heard people complaining about these getting dirty and/or not lasting. I have had no problems. I am still on my first pair and they seem very durable. Tip: Clean them with hydrogen peroxide - dissolves the ear wax right off and won't damage the tips. Avoid alcohol for cleaning as this will damage them. I would definitely buy these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are worth it!, February 9, 2010
I own a pair of Shure headphones, and I don't really think you can go "wrong" with either these or the Shure tips. However, I would definitely purchase these first because:

-They are a little more comfortable in the ear
-They are easier to get a perfect seal with
-The wax-guard is fantastic (think... no more need to clean out the grossness deep inside of your canalphones)
-They will make your headphones sound better (mostly as a result of the previous three reasons)

Now, to answer the questions I myself have had at some point:

-The foam is a little different than the kind Shure uses. It seems to be a little firmer... until it is placed in the ear, where it feels softer and a little more comfortable. It's also slightly more resistant to wax in my experience, and is a quality product that can withstand daily use.

-They aren't tricky to apply. I was worried that the fit on the headphones themselves would be too tight or too loose (the former being annoying and the latter literally making the foams useless). I can only speak for SE Models, but the fit was perfect for me. The build is a tad different, as the foams feature a slightly thinner and flexible core tube... but this doesn't really change the ease of applying them in comparison to the Shures.

-For Shure owners: the "one size" of these roughly equates to the medium Shure size... they are themselves a tiny bit smaller than a medium Shure foam, but it is very close. I will say this... I wore the mediums AND larges for my Shures (mediums preferred), and the smalls wouldn't fit quite right... but these create the best seal by far that I have experienced with any IEM tip. If you are hesitant about the fit, go to the Comply website. They have three different sizes for all of their models.

-For non-Shure/non-foam users: soft foam is generally better than flex tips/silicone/hard foam, but it depends on your ears and your preferences. For most, it is the best blend of comfort and sound quality. The foam (if fitted correctly) is not painful on the ear at all after prolonged use and will not cause headaches. The fit is crucial in getting good sound, just like pretty much any other tip. If the build quality is good (like these), there is little to no change in frequency response in comparison to silicone.

-The sound quality with these is better than with other foams, and this is why- they are designed to give a better fit and keep wax out, allowing earphones to stream more pristine audio as a result. Earphones with these tips will sound more "open" and clear, and even the discerning ear will probably notice a wider soundstage with their current headphones.

-Sound isolation is close to most foams, but a little better (for me) because they seal so well. For users who want premier sound isolation, these will suit your needs very well.

-The 2dB of transmission loss with the wax guard is virtually a non-issue, especially since ear wax within the audio canal is much more detrimental to sound quality than anything else.

Overall, I do not hesitate to give these a five star rating. If you are interested in these or are even on the fence, I would stop reading this review right now, place them in my cart, and checkout. Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect accessory for Klipsch S4 earphones, November 2, 2010
Gary (Allen, TX) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Klipsch S4 earphones and unfortunately none of the included ear pieces were comfortable or achieved good isolation of external noise. I ordered the Comply foam tips and I now love my earphones. When I go to the gym or get on a plane, I can't hear a thing except my iPod. The foam tips are very comfortable even after several hours of use. One small con is that they do wear out over time. They come in a three pack and I'm on pair #2 after about 3 months of daily use and periodic cleanings (the foam on the first pair got a little too soft to stay attached to the earphones). I assume this is why they come in a three pack. I'm willing to invest a bit for superior comfort and performance of my earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat yourself well, April 17, 2010
Doesn't matter what others said how their earbud tips work, they were not in your ear channels. You have to try them for yourself. I am not a fan for those silicon tips. The original Klipsch S4 tips hurt my ears after about an hour of listening, even on low volume radio. These foam tips changed all. When you put them in your ear channels, while them expand, you can clearly tell the noise fade away. Someone complained the fit. These tips are available in different sizes. Amazon's version might be medium. Try the three size pack to see which one is best for you. You can find some retailers on Comply's official website.

I've never seen better foam tips as I do not own any expensive pieces. These are not cheap, but I am willing to pay a couple of bucks for my own comfort. I can lower the volume to about 2/3 of what I used to. Because they shield considerable amount of noise, the sound quality improved significantly as well. I have been using the first pair for about a month. They seem worn out a bit. After the warm soak water treatment, they resumed to the near original state.

Don't wear both of them on street, they may block the traffic noise and that is were you want them for your own safety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame on all earbud makers for not including these tips!, July 24, 2012
Let me start by saying I don't feel compelled to write many reviews. I'm an Amazon Prime member and buy all sorts of items on here but I don't generally take the time to report back. But I am so happy with this product that I had just had to...

I just added these to my Klipch Image S4 buds. I was previously using the rubber tips that came with the S4s and they just didn't stay put in my ears or make a good seal for long. I was using the largest size that came with the S4s and they still didn't work well. If I shoved the factory tips in as far as they would safely go they would make a decent seal and then sound fairly good. You could hear the bass fairly well and life was "OK".

The problem was that I was using the earbuds for running. After a minute or two of the cord tugging at the buds and my ears being sweaty made the factory tips lose seal and start sounding very flat. I found myself constantly adjusting them and shoving them back deeper inside my ear to try to get a seal. Since I noticed the sound and volume being significantly better when they were properly seated I decided to look around for larger tips. Thats when I found these Comply TX-100s.

Based on the number of good reviews I figured I should try them. I thought the price was a little steep for what they are (that's why they are only getting 4 stars and not 5) but it sounded like the best solution.

After measuring the factory tips I was using I decided to order the large size which seemed to be just very slightly wider. I just tried them on my first "trial run" and WOW!!!

These things really brought my S4 buds to life!!! The sound quality was improved drammatically (even when compared to the factory tips while making a good seal). The volume was improved drastically as well. Before with the factory tips I found myself cranking the volume on my iPhone up to 100%. With these comply tips I was hearing bass notes and everything SO MUCH clearer at a volume level of only 50%. Once it got past 60-70% it was just too loud...

And the best part was that I ran for 25 minutes without the tips ever losing seal. Not even once... I broke a good sweat and JAMMED the entire run. Just an FYI - in hindsight I'm thinking I might should have even ordered the XL size but I can't say that for sure. The Large size that I got did make a seal without fail for my entire run but one of them felt like it could be tighter. Only time will tell. I guess I have large ear canals lol. I would recommend to anyone buying these to measure what you have already and choose wisely. Buying the various size pack may be the best approach...

In closing my only thought is this:

Why don't ALL earbud manufacturers include these from the start??? I think most of them are really diminishing the value of their product by not providing a tip that will make the most of the drivers. I just knew my S4 buds could sound so much better and now they DO!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Add-on, August 25, 2010
These solved a rather annoying issue here. None of the four sets of earbuds that came with a Klipsch earphone set actually fit well enough to stay in my ears. These foam tips solved the problem. Once they are on all you do it compress them with your fingers, stick'em in, and they expand for a custom fit. Only thing I've used that hold the buds in securely while I run. They block out about the same amount of noise the OEM tips do. No disadvantages to using these that I can see except they will need to be replaced periodically (since they are memory foam they will collect ear wax even from clean ears).

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, Isolating, Fragile, June 15, 2010
I got these to prevent anymore exciting adventures digging earwax out of SE530s and they do that job pretty well. The medium size however, is a bit smaller than the Shure medium that it was meant to replace. As a consequence, they are prone to losing their seal when I move around. If I sit still they isolate and seal properly with little to no change in the sound sig, but when walking around, the seal, and bass, comes and goes. Sometimes with each step. If you're buying these, you'd do well to consider ordering a size up from your stock tips.

Besides that, they don't last nearly as long as the shure olives. My first pair of complys developed a tear after just a month of use. The olives by contrast are nigh indestructible. They just isolate less and less till you decide to replace them.

Despite these flaws, I'm likely to order another set (in large this time) when the ones I have wear out. I don't think they offer any significant advantage in comfort, isolation, or sound over the shure olives, BUT they have the built in wax guard. If you don't have lots of earwax then you don't need the Tx's at all, and you probably don't need the regular T's either. If you do have a lot of earwax, then the Tx's are the only game in town.

One last note. The wax guard is as far as I can tell acoustically transparent, with only the very slightest attenuation, even across frequencies. You may need to turn the volume up a notch or two to compensate.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want those earbuds to stay in ..., January 14, 2010
$20 for three pair is expensive, but foam is better than the silicon tips that come standard with most earbuds. This is the model that fits the new Klipsch Image S4I, which are my favorites for the iPhone, see my review. Klipsch IMAGE S4i Premium Noise-Isolating Headset w/3-button Apple control. No doubt they fit other earbuds, as well.

The advantages are (1) they stay in the ear better, as the silicon ones subject tend to fall out during normal movements, and (2) the sound isolation is better. Sound isolation is 10 db better than noise canceling over-ear earphones such as Bose, so I don't know why anyone would buy those heavy, voluminous, Martian-looking, power hungry, and less accurate trophies.

They do expand more slowly than some foams I've used, but it only takes a minute to fill out, and the connection is then firm.

[7/2010 - I finally had to toss a pair from too much use, so it lasted 6 months of daily abuse.]

[6/2011 - another year, went through two more pair and reordered. After 6 months, these get softer and more quick to rebound to their original shape, not so good. This time I got two colors to tell left from right on my Klipdch x10i.]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tips I have ever heard!, July 22, 2011
Read some reviews before buying and knew the audio quality was good, but never as good as this. These paired with the Klipsch IMAGE S4 earphones are an absolute deal at just under 100 dollars, maybe even less. Best audio quality you will hear from a pair of earbuds headphones. Trumps the Monster Dre Beats 2fold and the pieces are amazingly comfortable when placed in correctly, the pair of S4's and these attachments are light as a feather and I had forgot time and time again they were in my ears. Most reviews say they are not durable, but i have found if you insert them correctly and clean off the earwax (it will happen not matter how many times you clean your ears) every month with a 75% water 25% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE mixture for around an hour they will last you a good year or so at least. I have had mine for half a year now and the first pair of the 3 pack still look and feel new. Take my advice and you will have the best portable headphone combo on the market.

Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra cost, June 16, 2012
I wasn't sure about this at first, but they really did improve the sound of my Klipsch S4a headphones over the silicon caps they came with, and even better, block out much more of the surrounding noises on my commuter bus.

Worth it.