Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Component AV Cable for Nintendo Wii to HDTV
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 18, 2011
ok, so if you are reading this then you probably did what I did. I read through hundreds of ratings from hundreds of different wii cables that said 'DO NOT BUY THESE THEY ARE BAD', ETC. I finally just was like 'forget it, i'm going to buy these cheap ones and see what happens.'

THESE CABLES ARE AWESOME! The sound comes in crystal clear, the picture looks amazing on my 60" LED SAMSUNG. I highly recommend these cables. The saying is true, sometimes cheaper is better!!!!!
on October 28, 2013
If you've downloaded and started using the Wii to play videos (Netflix, Amazon, etc), you will notice that the output isn't always great - often blurry and if there is fast movement, lots of "ripping and tearing." That is because the cables that come with the Wii (red, white, yellow) only allow 480i output. The "i" is for interlaced, which means that all the even lines are drawn first, then all the odd lines, until all 480 lines are drawn. This often causes flickering and other anomalies, which can be overcome with better cables.

These cables provide you the ability to display your Wii at 480p. The "p" is for progressive-scan, which means that each line is drawn in order, which generally translates into a much smoother and clearer picture. That is very important when you are watching movies that have fast action sequences or light/dark spots, as it will draw them as it was initially intended You will still get ONLY 480 lines, but you should notice a difference in the picture quality. This is accomplished by dividing the "yellow" connector on the original cable into the three colors (Red, Green, Blue) on the component cable. The Red/White (left/right audio) cables remain the same.

This will not give you HD quality video out of the Wii - sorry, not possible. It will, however, alleviate some of the weird anomalies many have reported seeing when watching movies on the Wii and if you happen to be playing a video game, you'll get better picture there too. Additionally, if you happen to have your Wii plugged into a HDTV, you can also change the screen aspect from 4:3 to 16:9. That will help "stretch" the video to your screen size and should result in fewer "big heads"...a result of your TV attempting to stretch the movie to your screen, but doing a poor job at it.

One caveat - make sure you set the Wii to display 16:9 after you install the new cable. Your Wii will blank out if you still have the old cable in and attempt to change it to 480p with 16:9 before putting in the new cable. It is a bit annoying, but could alleviate the "man, they sent me bad cables" fiasco. Success is in your sights - just follow the steps properly.
44 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2016
Got these cables to play some Gamecube classics: Metroid Prime, Double Dash, Mario Sunshine, Rouge Squadron, Soul Calibur 2, etc in 480P resolution.

For only $7 you can re-experience the Gamecube classics in solid image quality. The graphics really hold up.

These cables are a great alternative to the $250+ component cables for the Gamecube.
on September 15, 2014
Realized that my new Google TV didn't accept the original cable with the red,white, and yellow RCA plugs, so I searched the internet and came across this cable. It works like a charm and cost next to nothing. Shipping was fast and it works fantastically. Highly recommend buying this cable if you have a newer TV and run into the same issue.
on January 29, 2014
Bought this to replace my old cables/get a better picture on my 50in HDTV. Have been using for a few months without any issues. The picture is definitely clearer, not sure it's anything to rant and rave about but considering Wii doesn't support HD, I wasn't expecting any major changes.... I am pleased with the results which are brighter colors and a slightly crisper picture.

I searched around, read all sorts of reviews on the different cables available and ultimately, decided to go with the cheap ones. I usually like to buy brand name accessories and whatnot, but can't say that I'm too unhappy with my decision here! For the price, it's definitely worth it! Don't waste the extra $$, these are cheap and work great!
on February 1, 2016
When my daughter's Wii in her room started showing black and white all of a sudden. I went online to see why that was and found out that I needed a Component AV Cable. I quickly purchase this item and it arrived within 2 days (thanks Prime). We connected this to the Wii and the TV and viola! no more black and white picture. We toss the standard AV cable and did not change any setting in the Wii and have not had any issues since. I do not watch movies through the Wii so I cannot comment on the picture quality there as we tend to watch movies through the PS3 or Roku.
on January 4, 2015
We got a new TV and our Wii suddenly wouldn't work on the new TV. I did some troubleshooting and decided to try swapping out the included cord for this cord. For under $10 our Wii now works with the new TV. WHEW! It was worth the gamble vs. getting a new system!!
on August 3, 2015
My 5 star rating is for the actual cable itself not its functionality. The materials used to make this all feel very high quality. The rubber feels thick and easily bends unlike other harder type rubber which tends to crack with use. Now let move on to the functionality. I honestly see no difference at all from this and the standard cables. 480I and 480p to my naked eye look identical in every manner. I still after all these years why in the world Nintendo would release this as a SD console. It is painful to try and go back and enjoy old titles at times because of how terrible the pixels look. Anyway, this is a great cable and for the price why not upgrade? I just question if it is really an upgrade from the original.
on March 29, 2014
We recently purchased a full-fledged large-screen HDTV, and I had to go through the once-in-a-decade ritual of reconfiguring our living room AV system. When it came time to hook up the Wii, I had the choice of doing it via HDMI or component. Without a doubt, HDMI would have been the most convenient way to go (one cable for both video and sound), but the adapter would have been $20-$30 (plus shipping for some sellers). Even more important, the best possible output from the Wii is 854x480p, so HDMI would have been a bit of overkill. The other downside was that using HDMI would have confined me to sound coming out from the TV...not the worst fate in the world with our TV, but still a limitation. I decided to get these cables because they were 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the HDMI adapter, and they would afford me the opportunity to run sound through my AV receiver.

The cable is approximately 6' long, and the component and sound connectors are clearly color-coded. Hooking everything up was a breeze (well, almost everything--except pulling out the receiver itself with all the cables we have going on back there was real pain). Once I straightened out the settings on the Wii, the picture is amazing. Even though it isn't digital sound through the cable, my AV receiver still puts out great surround sound, so we still hear the noise of the crowd in Wii Resort or the sounds of the outdoors in Dangerous Hunts.

A cable's basic function is to carry a signal from here to there, and this cable does it flawlessly for an extremely reasonable price. We get to take full advantage of what our Wii has to offer and I get to keep $20-$30 in my pocket. A five-star purchase for me of a 5-star product.
on March 12, 2015
The cable worked exactly as advertised. Some people complain that the plug going into the Wii was a bit tight, but mine plugged in with no hassle. I plugged it into a splitter that went to both my TV and my capture card. Switched the wii to 480p instead of 480i, and the picture does look clearer and the color definition is a lot better. The description should be a bit more clear for this cable however. The Wii only supports 480p, and when they say it can do 1080p they are referring to the Wii U which uses the same cable. I have no way to test this but knowing how cables work I wouldn't see how it would not work. Good for those like me who have a component capture card and want to record Wii games. I also managed to get the cable for only $4.95 with free shipping from a US seller, so be sure to check what all sellers have their's listed for price. This was a steal for the $5 and is worth it.