‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these Comprehensive Curriculum books, wish they had them past 6th! A must have for homeschoolers., July 14, 2009
mom2twoboys "Writer, Reader & Mage" (Writing near a window, on a sunny day in Va!) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills: Grade 4 (Paperback)
I homeschool three children. I have used CC (Comprehensive Curriculum) every year since kindergarten. My son is entering 8th and my niece is starting 9th...I wish they had CC for them. My youngest is starting 4th. If you homeschool or teach at public school, or are trying to bump up your English, these are so wonderful.

First, they are HUGE, enough to use all school year if you suppliment. Enough to keep you busy for a long time even if you don't!

Next, they are colorful, every page is colorful with whimsical, color pictures and lifelike illustrations, lots of color and never boring to look at.

Also, they cover lots of subjects and are generally broken into sections. For example, Math, Reading Comprehension, English/Grammar, History etc. (Look for similar books that are JUST about World History or American History!) Each section is pretty large and has several ways to learn. One page might be to read about, for example, tigers. Then the next page might be a puzzle using what you read. The next might be a questions and answers page on tigers, or a new subject of rain forests or the Amazon. A few pages later might be a review of what you learned.

Plus, each math page builds up to the next, with plenty of review. I'd say these are exactly what kids are learning in public school, the sections don't really cover anything way out of the grade stated on the cover.

Another thing I loved about these is that they are good for helping you not 'miss' much. Meaning, when I first started homeschooling I felt overwhelmed, worried I would miss something important. Well, I was so busy trying to cover everything, I had not thought about learning how to tell time in first grade! Well, these books cover telling time, then continue to build on it with this and other books, teaching how to tell how much time has passed, reading digital numbers, what does 'a quarter to five' really mean? Not just time stuff either...these cover presidents, wars, famous sporting heros, etc etc etc

The answer section is so great! They not only have all the answers, but rather than just list them...they have a mini page reproduced with the answers! Meaning, if you are checking page 76, turn to the answer section and you will see the exact page (miniaturized) with the answers filled in! Much better than trying to match up a list.

I can't say enough about them. These are not an item you should be 'on the fence' about. They are well worth the money. Be careful if you buy 'used' on Amazon, read the fine print from each seller or even email the sellers. Many say they have writing in them or are missing pages. I'd go new on these...they even sell them at your big stores!

4.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, November 6, 1999
By A Customer
As Americans living abroad we have relied on this book to help our children with their English grammer, reading and spelling skills. It has also helped us introduce some U.S. history and civics in an age appropriate manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars All that it claims to be, May 21, 2007
Dewey Lehnen "Pat Lehnen" (Sloughhouse, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this book for our grandson and after giving it to him he was excited about the variety of subjects in it. I especially liked the clear pages that had easy to understand instructions and an uncluttered format. Easy to use in "units" by taking out one page from each subject area and stapling together. Then, leave the book at home and take the 'unit' on a trip. Also, a good idea is to copy the answer pages to keep in a safe place in case they get lost from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for homeschooling!, November 10, 2010
I have been using the Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills books to homeschool my children. I began with the books for Grade 1 after removing my twins from public school following their kindergarten year, and will be using the Grade 4 books for my twins along with the Preschool book for my youngest next month.

I am impressed by how quickly and thoroughly my twins have learned, using the Comprehensive Curriculum books as a backbone of their elementary education. I compared these books to Saxon math and phonics, which were used at the public school my twins attended, and to our state's curriculum standards, and they definitely stand up.

Although these books do not list science or social studies in their tables of contents, they often dedicate several pages of reading or writing to a particular topic such as American explorers, the human body, famous sports figures, the solar system, etc. Our family uses these sections as springboards to study topics of interest in further depth using the library or the resources online.

I have seen only two downsides to these books. First, I have had to supplement some of the math portion of these books with extra worksheets, to give the kids a little more practice here and there before moving on to the next concept. I sometimes printed worksheets myself or let the kids work interactively on math drills online. Second, some of the information in the books is dated. But, at a cost of less than $15 per student, I can definitely live with these minor drawbacks and wholeheartedly recommend these books to others!

P.S. - If you are teaching more than one student, I would definitely suggest getting each student their OWN copy of this book. I would also suggest tearing out pages as needed, hole-punching, and placing them in a 2-inch binder rather than working directly from the book, because there are SO MANY PAGES you will wear the binding out if you try to work directly from the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Homework, March 14, 2007
S. Krueger (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Nice visual supports. Reading passages are at the grade level reported. I teach Specific Learning Disabled English Language Learners in Middle School and these books are the best supports. 95% of my students are able to complete the activities independently. Great tools for fostering literal and inferential comprehension as well as basic math skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Home Schooled Children Love These!!!, February 24, 2011
Luna (United States) - See all my reviews
My two home-schooled children love these books! Comprehensive and complete. Everything we were looking for in basic skills. The only thing is that my kids go through these books super quick. That's when supplementary work comes in. Would recommend these to any home schooling parent looking for a good workbook to help with the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps kids thinking, July 21, 2010
I am pleased with this workbook. I have a 9 year old who is a year behind on his reading/comprehension levels and this workbook is just the thing to keep his mind working and thinking during the summer months. I love how it is broken into sections such as Math, Spelling, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension. I take pages from each section to make up a weekly "homework" packet for him and it travels well without the bulk of the book. The book has a good feel for what they do in school and I feel it is giving my son a jump on what to expect in 4th grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, August 25, 2008
Rebecca (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent comprehensive book for each corresponding grade level. Though some parents will find, as I have, that their homeschool child is more advanced than they would be in public school. My children grades 4th, 3rd and 1st, are finding each of their books a little too easy, so be sure to supplement each compresive curriculum book with some additional books. For example, the "Skill Sharpeners" is an excellent series of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, October 9, 2004
Nia (Virginia) - See all my reviews
I really like the fact that this book is simple and fun to use and covers a range of subjects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very please with book purchased on Amazon., March 9, 2008
I am very please with this book I use in homeschooling my daughter. I use other supposedly complect curriculium, but they do not include science and social studies. Also this Comprehensive Curriculumn is more colorful and my child is eager to do her school work.
Shipping of this product was prompt and in wonderful condition. Thankyou

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills: Grade 4
Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills: Grade 4 by School Specialty Publishing (Paperback - April 6, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.01