Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on July 15, 2010
I installed this regulator on an 1983 GS1100ED Suzuki and did comparative tests between a FET based SHUNT controller (FH012A) and the CF55402 SERIES Controller. See the comparision here:
[...]

Just got back from a 1700 mile trip and it is still working and have had no issues.

This is the smallest SERIES R/R for 3 phase I could find (there are two other manufacturers for HD aftermarket). It has plenty of capacity to handle metric bikes.
88 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2012
After reading many posts on motorcycle boards talking about how wonderful the Compufire R/R is, my OEM R/R died and kindly took out my stator as well.

Since the Compufire was within $10 of the OEM R/R, I sprung for it.
Install was a snap (despite no instructions included and couldn't find any on Compufire's site either).

The only "gotcha" is that while the R/R ships with a weather-pack connector on the R/R and includes the *housing* to be attached to the Stator, it's lacking the pins to go inside that connector.
I looked at three local parts houses and two electrical supply houses to no avail.
Finally found the entire connector at a parts warehouse. Standard was the brand, but Ive forgotten the part number. It did list that it was for GM vehicles.
on November 5, 2011
My 30 year old Suzuki GS1000 needed the charging system repaired, so I bought this in conjunction with a new stator. The Compufire was a relatively easy replacement, as it is somewhat larger than the stock unit. The wiring is huge. I made a mounting bracket under the battery box and it fits OK. The bike now puts out over 14V at road speed, as well as around 13V at idle. I have accessory wiring on the bike that includes extra gauges, a 55/60W halogen headlight, and in the winter heated gloves. The charging system has no problem keeping up.

I'd recommend this to anyone needing a replacement regulator/rectifier.

Updated January 2012. I now have two old Suzuki GS1000 bikes, and each has one of these regulator/rectifiers on them. The series regulator is the best way to go. I see over 13V at idle and a steady 14.2 while riding.
on October 4, 2012
This thing has given me super steady output AND low load on the system. I must be one of the very few people that still has a 500W stator on their Tuono, everybody else's got burned out long ago using the stock OEM rectifier. I am a very happy camper!
on July 10, 2012
Quite a few of the earlier motorcycle OEM R/Rs are the older shunt design that absorb excess voltage and dump it as heat. The OEMs were going cheap and the number of failures show it. On the old design, the regulator is working full time and eventually burns itself out of commision. With the compufire part, as a series design, it runs only when needed, saving wear and tear on your stator and also then the R/R itself has a longer life. It will work well in any 3 phase type charging system. The caveat is that it is a custom install, not a direct replacement. You should have some mechanical or electrical hands-on savvy to do a good installation. Suggest you go a different way if you are not all that skilled with tools. --- A very good technical solution, installed correctly it should last many miles.
on December 13, 2012
The compu-fire 40 amp charging system meets the power needs in my bike but has proven to be unreliable. I
installed the system 4 years ago. And I am now on the second regulator and the second stator. I purchased the system from J&P cycle. When trying to order seprate parts { stator or regulator } I found out they only offer both sold in a "system".
I went to Amazon and found it $50 cheaper there than on motorcycle web sites or Compu-fire site. THANX AMAZON.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2013
It may be a bit pricey, but its worth it. Right out of the box you can tell this is a quality product. Its large and heavy with heavy wiring. It performs perfectly 14.3V all the time. Installed on 82 Suzuki GS 1100 GLZ
on June 17, 2013
An overall score is very good for this regulator, as it uses an advanced technology compared to my Honda VFR. The only problem is that there was not even one small paper with characteristics or maybe general instructions.. also there are only the cables without any plug.
on November 26, 2012
I replaced the OEM regulator on my Buell 1125R with this unit. Works great in combo with having the stator rewound with better insulated wiring. ( Custom Rewind, Birminham AL ).
on June 13, 2013
save your stator and charging system with this regulator! It is worth the extra money! Was able to get the proper connector at Pep Boys