4.0 out of 5 stars For $250, It's a STEAL. For $400, it's a good buy
Published on December 1, 2012 by Edward Chan

Published on December 31, 2012 by Firefly

4.0 out of 5 stars For $250, It's a STEAL. For $400, it's a good buy, December 1, 2012
I bought this for Black Friday at Best Buy for $250, and it's the best $250 laptop I've ever seen. Build quality is very good. Yes, it's plastic, but it's solid, and not cheap feeling at all. The screen is decent, nothing special. The keyboard is almost as good as an Apple Macbook Pro. It has good response and good feedback. The trackpad is pretty good, and doesn't stray too much from what I expect.

As for power, it's plenty good for almost everything you'll do. 4GB of RAM and a Pentium B980 (Sandy Bridge) at 2.4 GHz is good for almost anything except 3D gaming. Fruit Ninja and Cut the Rope work fine on this thing, as do all business apps. It comes with Windows 8, and can be upgraded to Pro for $60, but you only need to do that if you're joining a Domain at work.

The downside for this laptop, and the 1 star ding, is it's a PAIN to upgrade. You basically have to snap off the keyboard and trackpad to get to the hard drive, and you have to remove the logic board to change the RAM. I changed the hard drive out for a SSD and that's it. That made my fresh boot time just under 10 seconds, and now I have a computer that really screams.

Some tips I discovered as I experimented with OS Installs:

1. You don't need a product key for a fresh install of Windows 8 64-bit. Get a Windows 8 64-bit ISO (easily obtained) and just install it. If you use a USB drive for installation, make sure to format the USB drive in FAT32, not NTFS for UEFI compatibility. Or, use an external DVD drive. The product key is embedded in the UEFI firmware, and Windows 8 automatically detects it and activates without any user interaction.

2. If you want to Install Windows 7, you need to enable "CSM" in the UEFI BIOS screen. Press ESC before the Asus logo comes on when you power on, and go in to the setup. Then, under "Boot" enable "Launch CSM". This turns on BIOS compatibility for Windows 7 and Linux. After a reboot, press ESC again before the Asus logo and you can choose CD and USB boots without UEFI.

3. Drivers are available at support.asus.com for Win 7 (32 and 64) and Win 8 (64).

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 25, 2012
I needed a system that I can take on business trips and to work remotely from. This system does that with ease. Another reason for buying such a laptop is that it is an ASUS which is Apple best competitor. We have a Mac Pro and would have to say that the build quality is just as good. The only downside that I found is that microsoft wants you to pay an extra 60 dollars for the Windows 8 Pro version, but for the price it is still a good deal.

Good things about this system:
Good battery life
Quality screen
Light weight
Quality buiild
Can do a homegroup share with Win 7
Great for reading books (amazon app)
Netflix works quite nicely
Can remote to office location
Low price

The not so good things about this system;
No logical drive
No windows 8 pro

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, November 28, 2012
This review is from: ASUS Laptop Computer / 14-inch Display Screen / Intel Pentium B980 Dual-core Processor / 4GB DDR3 RAM Memory / 320GB Hard Drive / 6-cell Battery / Webcam / HDMI / USB 3.0 / Windows 8 64-bit (Matte White) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this laptop from BestBuy for 250$ on Black Friday. I did my research before i bought a new PC, I've upgraded 1 laptops and built 2 desktops. My old laptop is just outdated. Not saying i know everything about PC's but i know enough to get in trouble. This is a laptop people. One that is meant for web surfing and mobility. Its less then 400$ brand new and that's not even a bad price. Factory with 4G RAM and a 2.4GHz proc. not bad for a cheap laptop. You can upgrade your hard drive and memory. Newegg has sticks of RAM(4G) for under 20$ My battery is lasting about 4.5 hours. If you want a CD drive, buy an external. If you want a really nice slick feeling PC that doesn't feel cheap, don't buy a cheap laptop, spend 1000$ That being said you are getting a steal with this computer. It works fine as is, if you want to upgrade($50-$100) this PC would compare with a $800-$900 PC. I'm new to Win 8 but everything that has to do with the OS has nothing to do with the computer.

I use this laptop for web surfing while sitting around and the HDMI a lot to watch movies on my TV.

And the laptop doesn't feel that cheap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, lightweight and average quality - however slow and flawed keypad, December 31, 2012
I just purchased this laptop last week at Best Buy (for $199) and it's been perfect for my everyday computing. I bought it because I wanted a quality lightweight laptop for school. It has excellent battery life and starts up quickly. (Despite the picture, the matte lime green color is actually very nice.) Windows 8 is great and the apps are a lot of fun. I like how with Windows 8 my phone calender syncs to my laptop. Also, Netflix works perfectly and battery life lasts for hours while watching TV shows, and picture quality is great!

Additionally, the HDMI input is helpful if you want to hook up the laptop to the TV and stream Amazon instant movies and rentals to your larger television!

The only downside that I have found so far is that whenever my computer sleeps for a while or restarts, I keep having to troubleshoot the Wi-Fi adapter. It only takes a minute, but it's annoying. Otherwise, I would have given this laptop 5 stars! I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this ASUS laptop to my friends and family for standard everyday computing and entertainment.

UPDATE--

After using this laptop for two weeks (college student), I've noticed 2 issues. The first one is that the computer is just very slow at saving and loading some programs, and sometimes online as well. The second issue is the most annoying - the keypad is messed up. The space bar doesn't make spaces at least 1/3 of the time, and the keypad (or mouse pad) is jittery and constantly flashes the control options sidebar for Windows 8 - even with slight movements on the keypad. It's really annoying. There is certainly a problem with the manufacturing of this computer. Especially the keypad. If I didn't pay only $199 for it at Best Buy, I would take it back for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap-feeling, November 29, 2012
Elaine (Timpson, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I got this from Amazon for $350 (didn't know about the Black Friday deal at Best Buy, darn!), and I'm giving it five stars because I didn't know that a $350 laptop would be so nice...If I'd known I could get so much for this price, I wouldn't have ever spent over $1000 for a laptop!

This laptop is as fast as you would expect, and I love the pink color. It's pretty lightweight and portable, but the keyboard feels REALLY nice. I had a nearly-new $800 Toshiba Portege before this until it met an untimely end at the hands of a cup of coffee, and I have to say I'm enjoying this Asus more, and not just because it's cotton candy-pink! The keyboard on my Toshiba felt so cramped: with this Asus, you're getting a reasonably thin and light computer that also provides a very nice typing experience. It doesn't feel cheap or plasticy to me, and even if it did the weight/comfort/price ratio is right on.

I originally gave this laptop five stars, but after using it for another week I knocked it down to four because of the touch pad, which isn't as responsive as I would like. It's not that bad, and I usually use a USB mouse anyway, but it is a bit annoying. Still, it's a small thing to complain about on an otherwise really cheap and nice laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, May 10, 2013
We recently bought this laptop for our daughter to bring to school with her. She's 11 and goes to a school where they do use their laptops a great deal. Fortunately, Asus offers their 1-year Accidental Damage Protection Plan for notebook computers. There are some retailers out there that don't want to offer the ADP plan, including Best Buy and some other big-name stores. So, anticipating a need for this protection, I didn't buy from them. Naturally I thought this laptop would be covered under the ADP plan, coming as it was from Century Tech and Amazon. Right? Wrong!

When I tried to register this computer for the ADP plan, I got an error message saying that "retailer is not eligible". I called Asus to check. I told the man on the line I bought it at Amazon. He said Best Buy was coming up as the retailer. I told him to change it. He said, just re-submit the form online. On the second try, the same thing happened. After getting very foggy explanations from two other Asus techs, I asked to speak to a supervisor. She explained that the serial number of this computer was recorded as being sold by one of those big-box retailers that do not participate in the ADP. Therefore, it's my loss--no ADP for this machine.

I'm pretty disappointed that the product description did not specify this point. It's a cheap, pink, small, cute computer. Perfect for a kid. When buying for a kid, Accidental Damage Protection is especially important. If I'd known this one was not eligible, I would have bought it elsewhere.

I do love my daughter's computer. So does she. It rocks, seriously. But buy it from Amazon directly, not through another seller (or at least not through this seller, unfortunately). Get the extra protection! You might need it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 25, 2013
This is a very cute, compact laptop. Its the perfect size for schooling and traveling, and the white makes it look a lot more expensive then it is. The only reason why I gave it 4 star is cause I notice from time to time the mouse pad area needs a little more pushing on it to move the courser around. Other then that its a great buy! Can't go wrong for the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Friendly but slow. I like the size and the volume., January 7, 2013
It sometime freezes specially when i have several windows opened, maybe it is because i don't have AntiVirus.
I like the apps and the settings, the have large icons. This computer also has the last version of Windows - 8. Good battery. I also like the WEB camera it has a good definition. All together I am happy with my computer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, December 21, 2012
I got the computer faster than I expected and it was exactly as described in the ad. I really like it a lot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not "Persistent Perfection", July 6, 2013
When you turn the computer on you see Asus touting their "persistent perfection." Problem is the keyboard is hard to use, the pentium processor is slow, the hard drive makes a funny whirling noise and the battery life is about 2-2.5 hours. Still, I wanted to like this machine until a $.10 part fell off and Asus provided no help in replacing it. One of the rubber feet/foot came off. When I both called and emailed Asus, they refused to help. In their email, I got a cryptic response saying they understand that the computer now wobbles on a flat surface, they acknowledge it is annoying and then the writer says without explanation they won't help.

Persistent Perfection in my book includes exceeding expectations. My first Asus computer is slow, has a poor keyboard, a short battery life, a hard drive that makes funny noises and is now missing a part. Asus, this is not "persistent perfection."