Terrorist attacks are no longer relegated to airports and federal buildings. Using personal computers as their weapons, hackers and criminals (some only 11 years old) have attacked the Internet, government agencies, financial companies, small businesses, and credit card accounts of unsuspecting individuals. This book/CD package provides a complete overview of computer forensics from its definition to "crime scene investigation," seizure of data, determining the "fingerprints" of the crime, and tracking down the criminal. The book focuses on "solving the crime" rather than information security.
* Comprehensive overview of the subject from definitions to data recovery techniques to auditing methods to terrorist cyber-attacks
* Case studies and vignettes of actual computer crimes
* Selected Topics: Computer Forensics Fundamentals; Data Recovery; Evidence Collection And Data Seizure; Duplication And Preservation Of Digital Evidence; Electronic Evidence Reconstructing Past Events; Deterrence through Attacker ID; Destruction of e-mail; Is the US Government Prepared for Information Warfare; The Dark World of the Cyber Underground; Protection against Random Terrorist Information Warfare Tactics; The Cyber Foot Print and Criminal Tacking; The Individual Exposed; Case Studies and Vignettes
* CD includes tools, presentations, and demos of the latest computer forensics software, including partition images from The Forensic Challenge
On the CD-ROM:
The following forensic tools, demos, and presentations are included on the accompanying CD-ROM.
The Forensics Challenge Partition Images
- The HoneyNet Project
FW-1 Specific Network Intrusion Detector
- Lance Spitzner
Recover98 v3.5 (demo)
FILERECOVERY for Windows v2.1(demo)
PHOTORECOVERY for Digital Media 1.5(demo)
- LC Technology International, Inc.
The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT)
- Dan Farmer and Wietse Venema
Free Hex Editor v1.1
- Raihan Kibria
- X-Ways Software Technology AG
- Ethan Blanton
Protect2000 Security Suite (product presentation)
- Computer Security Products Inc.
Mazu Enforcer (product presentation)
- Mazu Networks