4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough book, with some reservations
Published on March 12, 2012 by rpv

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of examples
I felt that the book lacked comprehensive examples. Most of the examples were either too trivial or simple. The course that I was taking had difficult problem sets and I found the book did not help me solve the problems. Often I had to Google for other resources.
Published 4 months ago by College Student

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough book, with some reservations, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (6th Edition) (Hardcover)
No doubt this is an excellent book for academics. There are thorough topics with detailed explanations. First some negatives before I go onto positives. Quickly glancing at the book, there are not many diagrams. I would have preferred lot of diagrams. Also I miss many practical examples for professionals, maybe Richard Steven's book is ore apt for that. I would have still preferred examples on Linux where applicable. Other problem is on physical condition. The hardcover was almost torn on arrival and after one day the hard cover came out from the book. I would have preferred a slightly larger font/better quality. I have a feeling the publishers are focusing on electronic format more than ever. Maybe iPad/Kindle editions are better.

Not for positives, The explanations on the layers are fantastic. There is an introduction on Layer 7 HTTP in beginning, and it is explained in detail later on. The chapters on TCP is really good. Overall for learning computer networks for a BS/MS course this book is very good.

The most important aspect to this book are the exercises. Some of the best problems in any networking book are found in this book. It instills the readers a keen interest to think and ponder over issues. Problems and good exercises make a book ultimately. Group study/class discussions can benefit a lot for instructors. Overall my recommendation is this is a very good for academics. For working professionals, I would lean towards Richard Steven's TCP/IP illustrated Volume 1 Edition 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for a first course in networking, September 18, 2013
Previously I had written a review on "Computer Networks" by Tanenbaum and Wetherall. I had no exposure to Kurose & Ross, so I thought it was the best around. I was incorrect. Don't get me wrong, the Tanenbaum book is still quite good. But I am now using Kurose & Ross for my networking class, and it is far better for an intuitive understanding of networking.

What makes Kurose & Ross better for a first course in networking? It reads quite well (except for Chapter 5, I think the editor forgot to take a look at that one), which is an incredible achievement for a networking book. The flow of the book is much better, as is the approach to explanations. They approach their explanations of networking as though you are a person who has no exposure to networking. I do not think the Tanenbaum book is quite so careful. What does this mean in terms of the book? K&R uses many analogies to help you understand. It also has an entire section devoted to everything that happens, step by step, when a user requests a webpage. DHCP, ARP, TCP, HTTP, etc. This is great for the big picture.

Also, K&R motivates the materials by explaining the dilemma they faced at the time, what the conceptual design considerations are, and then you are primed for the explanation of the actual protocols. This is vastly helpful. Another point for K&R is the top down approach. It really provide a significant improvement for the average student.

Lastly, I think the scope and content of K&R is better for a first course in networking. They are quite detailed, yet they leave out other things that are extraneous to our current understanding of networking (e.g. Shannon's limit and Nyquist's Theorem -- the way my networking prof put it, those have been settled debates for many years, and don't really affect the study of networking today). Which lends itself to my final point: the math used in K&R is WAY more practical and intuitive. Propagation, Transmission, and Queueing delay, queueing efficiency, the difference in time between persistent and non-persistent HTTP, etc. Tanenbaum doesn't really have the unified picture in this regard, and some of the math in it is very unrealistic for a first course.

All in all, an incredible networking text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, February 16, 2013
I have the International Edition and so can only speak for that. This is the recommended text for our Data Comm course and and I find that the book does a good job given the fact I have zero background in this area. The lecturer also used the slides prepared by the authors so everything tied in nicely. If you do get the book, I would recommend that you check out the student's resources at the publisher's website. There are useful animations that enhance understanding of the material and the one that sticks in my mind concerns routing, MAC addresses and IP addresses. One final note, if you wish to learn subnetting painlessly you will need more material. My advice is to download the 3Com paper referenced by the authors, I read it and it was like a light was switched on.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best technical books I've ever read, November 21, 2013
This is one of the best technical books I've read. It explains concepts in a very clear manner and it often uses analogies which help to enforce the material (i.e. making connection to things you already know will help in retaining the material). The approach it takes, as per title, is a top down approach which I find to prefer over a bottom-up one. It starts with an overview of networking then proceeds from the "Application Layer", adding more and more details as the chapters progress. This book is also generous on the math parts which are required for some algorithms (especially in the cryptography chapter).

Networking is a very technical subject and this book made learning it very easy. I wish the author wrote books for different subjects as well.

In summary, I would recommend this book in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly comical, October 30, 2013
patrick (WEISSPORT, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
For the most part everything is broken down into understandable language. I even found some areas to be sarcastic and comical. I had fun reading through this book during my course.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good explanations, but a little verbose, March 18, 2013
The chapters are really long, but good explanations and a lot of anecdotal examples. Also comes with interesting wireshark labs and programming assignments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, February 11, 2014
this book is excellent in explaining networking for beginners. If you want to learn how to start to learn networking then this is the book to get! Simple explanations and diagrams make it super easy to follow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Networking for Beginners, May 28, 2013
darkprince117 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This book has excellent breadth, and covers the vast area of networking well. It is not intended to cover any particular part of networking in great depth, and in keeping with this goal, does not concentrate excessively on any topic.

The strengths lie in the explanations and the diagrams. The explanations (especially of important algorithms and topics) combined with well thought out diagrams provide lucid explanations for most of the vital concepts.

The organization is also well thought out, because the hierarchy is extremely important, and sufficient emphasis is placed in this book.

Would definitely recommend for a beginning course in Computer Networking.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, January 3, 2013
The analogies given are very good.However, not every book covers all the topics equally well...so is the case with this book ..I haven't read it yet beyond the 4th chapter so I can't say much about the rest of the book but it definetly lacks good diagrams and pictures. For example when explaining the internals of a router and how it works, it would be much better if a labeled picture of internals of a router is there included like in cisco modules..The explanation is good but most of the time, due to lack of good diagrams, it gets difficult to grasp the idea instantly and I have to refer to google images to get it right.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, December 3, 2012
A really good book.. Recommended to me by my professor for her course... Gives a very good understanding of the subject if you know a bit about networks already... Still, I would not recommend it for anyone who is looking for an in depth knowledge into networing as this is a general overview of everything that there is in networks...

Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (6th Edition)
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (6th Edition) by James F. Kurose (Hardcover - March 5, 2012)
$155.20 $120.00