1,590 of 1,606 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Your Doubts - This Stuff Is Great
Published on December 16, 2010 by M. Schreiber

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!
I will preface this with I generally do not like to rate a 1 star and if you read my other reviews will find that I have never done this before.

The product is extremely thin, not durable either. The adhesive on the back to stick to the wall or boards etc. was not strong enough for me to even put it up for more than a few hours.

I cleaned the wall...
Published on September 11, 2012 by US MARINE

1,590 of 1,606 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Your Doubts - This Stuff Is Great, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Con-Tact Brand Self-Adhesive Chalkboard Liner, 18-Inch by 6-Feet (Misc.)
Other reviewers have commented that this is nothing but black contact paper. This is true - it IS black contact paper. When you first take it out of the package, you feel it and think that it feels NOTHING like a chalkboard and that there is NO WAY ON EARTH that it is going to take chalk well. Disappointment and resentment may well up inside you. But take heart! This stuff is actually fantastic, and takes chalk like a CHARM.

There are a couple of secrets to getting it to work just like a regular chalkboard. The first is quite intuitive: make sure you apply it carefully to a very smooth surface. I don't think a textured wall will work well. Alas, I have quite textured walls in my house, and I wanted to use it as wallpaper for a small section of my daughter's room. Well, I scrapped that idea and applied it to a large piece of masonite board (you know, the stuff that is often used for pegboard, but without the rows of holes). This masonite board (Hardboard Masonite Panel- 18x24x1/8 Inch) is VERY smooth on both sides (although the stuff you get at the hardware store is often very rough and fiberous on the other side). Proper application should also include taking the time to remove any bubbles that arise under the surface; the paper is slightly repositionable, or you can use the side of a credit card or ever-popular and-extraordinarily-useful-for-all-sorts-of-things scraper such as Nylon Pan Scrapers (Set of 2), to gently (GENTLY!) rub the bubbles out.

The second secret is less intuitive. When you first try to draw on the stuff with chalk, it will seem like it is not working at all. The chalk might barely show up, or it may not draw smoothly. More disappointment and resentment may flood you. HOWEVER, most chalkboards come with instructions that say to color (with chalk, obviously) all over the board and then erase it before the first time you try to use it "for real". Do this! Rub with the side of the chalk (evenly and lightly will do it) all over the board - and then erase it using a regular felt chalkboard eraser like the Alex Felt Chalk Board Eraser with Wooden Grip, DRY paper towel, or similar. For reasons I cannot explain, this makes chalkboards "take" the chalk much more smoothly. You may have to repeat this step one more time, but after this, I think you will find that the chalkboard paper does in fact work JUST LIKE a REAL CHALKBOARD!! Yay! (They call this step "curing" the chalkboard, and it is necessary for ALL chalkboards, if you really want to prep the surface well - go ahead, google "curing chalkboard" and see what you get!)

Your chalkboard paper should now work beautifully. Mine works with all sorts of colored chalks, such as Colored Chalk (16), or even Colored Drawing Chalk 24-Stick Pack, or similar. Even regular sidewalk chalk, like Melissa & Doug 10 Jumbo Triangular Chalk Sticks.

Or, if your chalkboard is for your child(ren), surprise him/her/them with I Can Draw People (Usborne Playtime), I Can Draw Animals (Kid Kits), or similar kits from Usborne, which include a nifty instruction book and jumbo colored chalks.

So, to sum up, for perfect results from your chalkboard contact paper:

1) Apply it carefully to a very smooth surface, being sure to get the bubbles out.
2) Cure it by coloring it all over with the side of a piece of chalk and then erasing it, two times, with a DRY eraser.

Now ENJOY! After this, I would be very surprised to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the product. (And I do NOT work for the company that sells it, either!) :-)

X*X*X*X* EDITED REVIEW JANUARY 23, 2012 X*X*X*X*X

Thank you everyone for your ever-so-kind comments about my review. I am so glad that you have found it helpful over the past year and I hope that the review continues to be of assistance in the future. As of now, our chalkboard is still "up and running" so to speak, and although it is a little the worse for the wear (doesn't erase quite as well as it once did, has some spots that are difficult to write on) it is still a source of amusement and joy to my now-six-year-old. It gets heavy use with a variety of chalks, and has occasionally been misused with crayons, but it has held up very well. I still highly recommend it, at least for the use to which I have put it - a child's chalkboard.

I am writing this revision also to let future readers know that I will not be following the comments on this review anymore as of now. I love knowing that my words have been helpful, and hope they continue to be so. Good luck with whatever chalkboard you decide to go with!

X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It! Cheap and works perfectly!, January 19, 2008
I was worried when I purchased this that I would end up with a flimsy piece of contact paper that would either resist chalk or soak it in too well, resulting in permanent lines. Neither worry came to pass... this paper is awesome! Much faster than painting, much cheaper than a traditional board, and easy to cut and place. I've been toying with several diff. shapes and I think my kids will enjoy this purchase for years to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, October 7, 2007
This is the cheapest way to convert a wall into a blackboard. However, this is basically just a sticky sheet of vinyl, so you will feel the bumps on the wall as you write. Still, that's not too much of a problem, and the value is overall very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chalkpaper, December 8, 2007
M. Pilo-pais (Gainesville, Fl) - See all my reviews
Great way to get a chalkpaper virtually anywhere. I strongly suggest putting it in a wall with a smooth flat surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, February 21, 2012
works just like chalkboard and you can customize the size to put it anywhere! we stuck 1 long sheet on our kitchen cabinet for grocery lists and we also cut out small labels to put on storage jars.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, September 11, 2012

I cleaned the wall in the area where I wanted it to be, dried it out and then let it sit until extremely dry.

I then applied this to the wall as if it were wallpaper - Rolled it on to make it as perfect as possible. It looked great at first.

I wanted to surprise my kiddos once they arrived home from school which was in 2 hours. I then wanted to write something on there. I had white chalk, colored chalk (school grade) and sidewalk chalk. All of the chalks would barely show up on the paper which was not something I was excited about. When trying to erase it left awful marks on the paper.

I used a slightly damp tissue paper and it worked great!

To my dismay when I went to get the kids from school, I checked on the wall (extremely excited) and was let down because it was on the floor rolled up and now stuck to itself.

This made it extremely difficult to try to unravel with ripping it. It also left crazy creases in it which deemed it useless.

I then purchased chalkboard paint which was about 50% more and it has worked as a charm.

I highly recommend you do your research and if possible go to a friends house if they have something similar.

I will not tell you to not buy this as it is your money, but just wanted to give a little insight into my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest invention!!!, July 13, 2008
D'ster "czlnyk" (Detroit, Mi. United States) - See all my reviews
This is an actual chalk board people on the wall, I was flaburgasted at the great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, June 29, 2008
"Contact paper chalkboard" -- inexpensive easy to use and does what I need it to. No complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars A squeegee makes a world of difference!, October 10, 2013
It makes a great, instant chalkboard. It works just like any chalkboard, provided you apply it the way I will describe, and definitely PRE-SEASON it, before you draw or write on it.

I gave it four stars instead of five, because I think if they shipped on a cardboard tube, there would be no wrinkles, and it would be much easier to apply perfectly. As it was, the roll was in a box, but with nothing to support it internally, so there were some wrinkles, which created a problem when it came to application.

I just applied a 36" X 18" piece to my stainless steel French-door refrigerator's freezer drawer (located on the bottom of the fridge). With the help of my six-year-old daughter, it was not easy to apply, but entirely do-able, especially once we got the squeegee in on the action.

I started by thoroughly cleaning the surface to which I was applying the chalkboard paper, so that if I had to re-position it, I wouldn't be ruining the adhesion with dirt that the sticky part picked up. I started with Goof-Off, then wiped it off. Then, I switched to my own mixture of Dr. Bronner's soap and water, followed by dish soap and water, then plain water, followed by a spray bottle with some rubbing alcohol and water. Then, I thoroughly dried it.

Because I applied it horizontally, I lined up the short side with the shine on the door, peeled back about an inch from the side, and stuck it down. At first, we tried to use our hands, and fingers, to smooth out bubbles here and there, but we kept having to peel back and start again. Finally, it dawned on me to use the squeegee, and things took off from there.

The trick is to just to apply a narrow bit at the beginning. Only peel off a little of the baking at a time, only as much as you need to stick down at that moment. Make sure all those bubbles are smoothed out, then while someone holds the roll, you control tension with one hand, and just use the squeegee, on the non-sticky side, to get the paper to make contact with your surface. Push the squeegee toward the point of separation. If one section tends to get more bubbly than another, start by squeegeeing the difficult section first, and the smooth, easy section will be no problem. Otherwise, work from the middle down, the the middle up, holding the squeegee parallel to where the contact paper and the backing are separating, as you hold tension on the unused part.

Take heart, it is easily repositionable, multiple times. If you mess up, just peel up, and redo that area.

Once I got about three or four inches down and smooth, I stopped what I was doing, to check to see if my positioning of the roll was level. It was. Using the light reflection/shine as my marker really worked well. If you had a laser level, that would probably work, too. An old fashioned plum bob might work, too, but I think light was quite handy.

Once I checked to make sure it was level, I also decided I wanted the bottom section of what I had already put down to be entirely smooth and free of wrinkles or bubbles, so I unstuck that bottom part, and squeegeed it down horizontally, rather than vertically, as I had been going. Once I took care of that, it seemed to arrest the chain reaction of wrinkles and bubbles that had been plaguing the bottom section, and it was fairly quick work from there. Just keep tension with one hand, use only about a centimeter of unpeeled from the backing section at a time, and let the squeegee do the work. I used a Simple Human squeegee, by the way. It didn't catch at all on the chalkboard surface.

It helped to have my daughter's assistance at times, to hold tension, keeping the sticky part away from the surface, when I needed her to.

When we had it on there, the only thing left to do, is what you have to do to all unused chalkboard before you use it, and that is season it thorougly. Rub the side of a piece of white chalk all over the entire surface of the board. Then, using an eraser, rub in circles, until a gray haze covers the whole surface. You're good to go from there. The kids have been taking turns sitting on a little stool and doing their drawings ever since.

I am pleased enough that I am ordering a whole 'nother roll, so I can do the top doors. I plan to have an inventory of what's in there, plus the date we bought or made a thing on one door, and a grocery list and a meal plan on the other door. I am hoping it will help cut down on the kids' propensity to open the door and browse. Plus, I hope to cut down on waste, by preventing lettuce getting shoved to the back and forgotten about until it turns to liquid, or leftovers going bad simply because they were forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it!, July 27, 2010
Katia (Charlotte NC) - See all my reviews
I placed the whole roll on one wall in my daughter's room and she loves it! It is a little hard to go perfectly straight and not to make any air bubbles but with patience I was able to place it very nicely, I added some decorative trimming around it to make it look prettier.

Rate and Discover Movies