4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Published on November 5, 2006 by Sharon L. Ludwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but careful retracting the cord
I haven't bought a new hair dryer in 20 years. I blow dry so infrequently that my old windmere still works. But I figured it was time to get a better, safer dryer.

Published on July 16, 2007 by PandaWatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but careful retracting the cord, July 16, 2007
PandaWatcher (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair 1875 Watt Cord-Keeper Hair Dryer (Health and Beauty)

I chose this dryer based on the price and reviews. Modern dryers are all much bigger and heavier than the old ones which is kind of annoying. If any part of this dryer overhangs the edge of the counter, the whole thing starts to slide off.

The dryer itself works well, my hair is quite thick and I thought it worked very quickly to get my hair to an almost dry state. (I never blow all the way dry to keep the hair healthier.) I also like the cool air option. The cord is definitely long enough for use when you're at the bathroom counter. It's great to have it so neatly tuck away inside the dryer.

My only caution is retracting the cord. It snaps back pretty fast which cause the plug end with it's safety block to whish around. It banged into the cabinets and almost knocked something off the counter as it flipped around. I would suggest holding the plug end as you retract the cord so you don't hurt someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, November 5, 2006
I very much like the way my hair comes out with this hairdryer. Less frizz and dries quickly. The only thing I don't like is the heaviness of the dryer. It is three times heavier than my last hair dryer and after a while my arm gets tired. If light weight is important to you, don't buy this one. Also, I thought the price was pretty good, but I have actually seen similar dryers cheaper at Costco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conair 209R Ion Shine(s) for Under $20.00!, January 11, 2008
You can't get much for $20 these days. However, an Andrew Jackson will get you the Conair 209R Ion Shine 1875 watt hair dryer from Amazon.com, and your even have some change left over! This dryer produces an impressive jet stream of air, with a selection of 3 heat settings. The technical specifications boast "Clouds of negatively-charged ions neutralize positive charges that are in the air and reduce the static electricity that causes fly-away frizzies and dulls hair." Well, I don't know what all of that means but I will admit that my hair is not frizzy after using this dryer. There is also a cold-shot button, which quickly removes heat from the air output, which is a great feature. The dryer has a little weight to it, but it is not bulky and seems to be balanced quite well. All hair dryers are fairly noisey but this Conair 209R Ion Shine is quieter than most of my previous dryers.

One of my favorite features of this model, the built-in cord retractor, seems to be getting negative comments from other reviewers here on Amazon. Common sense tells me that I should hold onto the heavy power adapter with one hand while holding in the cord release buttong with the other. You easily control the retraction speed this way, which prevents the end from whipping around as most people are complaining about. It's really not a big deal and doesn't take much effort on the user's part.

I do wish that this dryer had three air speed settings, since high is sometimes too harsh, and the low setting is usually too soft. Overall, for less than $20.00 this is a real bargain of a hair dryer and I couldn't be much happier with my purchase. Thanks for the great deal Amazon! =o)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cord Keeper Breaks!, January 12, 2008
H. Moore (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I researched all the hairdryers on amazon, and this one seemed like a great product at a great price. Unfortunately, one huge design flaw has prevented me from using it. The cord keeper function broke after about 3 months of use, so in order to use it I have to either

1) Be within 12 inches of the socket, or
2) I have to fold the cord up after pulling it out and hold on tight the entire time I'm drying.

A very frustrating experience. Buyers...beware.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok hair dryer, but has several design flaws, October 16, 2007
I've had this hair dryer for about 6 months now and I'm not all that impressed with it. It's performance is decent (dries hair quickly with less frizz), but it's design and construction leave something to be desired.

Issues:
1) It's really heavy so be prepared for your arm to get a work-out when using it.
2) The placement of the cord retractor button is really bad. If you set the dryer down on it's side sometimes the retractor button will get bumped causing your dryer to slide across the counter.
3) About 1 month ago the on/off button popped off. I was able to stick it back on, but it will occasionally still fall off during use.
4) The cord retractor is somewhat dangerous and also will get stuck occasionally during cord retraction.
5) The placement of the "cool shot" requires you to hold the dryer awkwardly to keep from accidentally pressing it.

Maybe it's just a matter of preference in design, but this dryer has been very awkward and difficult for me to use. I just don't think that the performance is good enough to put up with all of the negatives. I will probably shell out a little more money the next time I purchase a hair dryer and get something better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Professional Dryer, July 23, 2006
Pro's: The color looks nice on it and it's very professional. There are 3 level intensity of wind for both hot and cool blow, which won't overdry my medium long hairs. It also comes with a diffuser and a concentrator( but I don't have the need to try them yet).

Con's: the handle can't fold! I am so used to the folding handle of my mom's hair dryer. So I must always keep this in its big box (considerably big compared to other folding handle hair dryers).
Overall, I love this hair dryer.

--UPDATE---
After 5 years, the dryer stops working. No damage/dropping occurred. It just doesn't start anymore. =(

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLY LOUD!, February 1, 2011
My old hair dryer started making a buzzing sound when I moved it, so my husband said, "time for a new one." Bought this one while at Wal-Mart, thinking the retractable cord would be nice.

Cord - retracts about halfway, then you either have to pull it out and push the button again (and hope it does it), or push the cord in yourself. Kind of a hassle just to hide the cord (which doesn't really matter to me since mine goes in a drawer every day anyway).

Speed - doesn't dry my hair as quickly as my old one!

Noise - I cannot believe how LOUD this dryer is. My eardrums hurt, as if I had just gone to a rock concert and stood by the speakers. My daughter (4) covered her ears (in the next room!).

I couldn't even use this thing today becuse of how loud it was, in fear of causing hearing loss (haha). After much research, I picked up the Revlon Tourmaline Ionic Hair Dryer, model RV544. Used it tonight and it's wonderful! Very fast, and pretty quiet for a hairdryer. It's not advertised as quiet on the box, but reviewers said it was and they were right. No retractable cord, but I'll get over it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch the retractable cord!!!, July 14, 2007
I would have given this a better rating, because the dryer performs just fine. I especially like the variable speeds and heat settings.

CAUTION: Be careful when pushing the cord retraction button as it will fly wildly about causing a risk of getting socked in the face with the oversized safey plug.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Dryer, July 13, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by this hairdryer. I had a Remington for about 8 years and finally decided it was time for a new one. I had never used a diffuser before as I have short hair and didn't think it would do too much for me. Boy was I wrong. My hair doesn't have this much volume unless I use a product in it!! The cord wind is phenomenal!!!! I always hated how my hair dryer took up half of my counter unless I unplugged it and stored it under the sink. For something I use everyday, it never happened. I thought I was going to have to be content with my dryer's cord all over the place until now! When I am done using it, I simply hit the button and the cord goes away but the dryer is still plugged in:) The only down fall is that the cord is not very long. Luckily my outlet is right next to my bathroom counter! I am very pleased with this dryer and would highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, but some flaws, December 7, 2007
I bought this as a second hairdryer to leave at my second home, figuring that it was cheap and had a retractable cord to save space. I also own a Conair Infiniti 213L. For the price, the 209R is a decent buy. However, for $50 more, I highly prefer the Infiniti 213L. Otherwise, the 213X (the cheaper equivalent to the 213L) is only $16 more.

Pros:
Conair with Ion Shine and Ceramic Technology
Retractable cord; as others noted, it retracts violently though - hold the plug while retracting
Removable, washable filter

Cons:
It's noisy
It's still surprisingly heavy compared to Conair's other $15 models.
The "Cold Shot" is lukewarm
No ion on/off button

Comparison to the 213L:
209R has a limited 2-year warranty, while the 213L has a 5-year warranty
209R does not "calm" my hair down as much.
209R takes a little longer to dry, seems less powerful (?)
209R does have a smaller "cold shot" button, which is better than the 213L (too easy to press on the 213L)
213L has an ion on/off button.
213L's cold shot is actually cold.
213L is about equivalent in weight, though, so for those complaining that the 209R is heavy, they're *all* heavy.
213L is much, much quieter.
213L has Swarovski crystals (silly, I know, but pretty).
213L does NOT have a retracting cord, however.

Overall:
I'll keep this one, because $20 was my "price point." I don't want to spend $35 (or $68) on a "throwaway" hairdryer. But in a pinch, this one works OK. However, if I was thinking long-term (who buys hair dryers like candy anyway?), I'd go with the 213L.

Conair 1875 Watt Cord-Keeper Hair Dryer