Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on November 26, 2005
...until the motor went out on the one I had been using for 2 years.

I had thought that the 'ionic' thing was mostly hype, but started using this product a couple of years ago out of curiosity. My entire life, I have had naturally curly, flyaway hair that was annoyingly prone to frizzing and just generally difficult to manage. I wasn't sure if it was this dryer that had finally started smoothing out my hair, or if it was rather the newer conditioners and styling cremes I had found.

When the ionic brush dryer I was using recently 'died', I was unable to find a replacement in any local stores. So, instead, I bought one that looked exactly the same that wasn't ionic, thinking it really wouldn't make any difference. Boy, was I wrong!!! Immediately, I was again dealing with split ends, frizzies, and flyaway hair.

There HAS to be something to 'ionic' hairdryers that really DOES make a difference, as I changed nothing else. Being the scientific person that I am, I repeated this unplanned 'experiment' at least 3 times. When I use this product, my hair is noticeably silkier, shinier, and bouncier...with healthy waves that hold (I have somewhat thick hair.) The round brush/dryer style also dries my hair much quicker than the way I used to do it for years (with round brushes and typical pistol-style dryers), and with much less arm-fatigue. The heated air dries it from the 'inside out' which styles it at the same time, eliminating my previous need for the use of a curling iron or hot rollers to create soft waves/curls after drying.

I plan to keep a spare one hand for the next time one dies on me suddenly. (I feel like 2 years was a good life, considering the use it got.)

I highly recommend this hair dryer if you have hair like mine.
1111 comments| 319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2005
I've used hot air brushes for a couple years. This works better than my last. The low setting and the larger brush works better for me. The high setting blows the hair off the bristles. It's nice having the small brush option for different styles though. I believe my hair stays styled longer and without as much work and injuries using a hot air brush versus a curling iron.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2009
I had my straight, fine hair cut to shoulder length recently and have to do some magic with a brush and gel, so I decided to try this tool instead of the old two-handed brush-and-hairdryer routine. Not only is this a really neat gadget that makes styling easier, but ionic is definitely better. My hair isn't getting deadened out at the ends and holds very nicely, for a change.
11 comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
Buyer beware. The forced hot air comes out at the base of the brush sections, with minimal hot air coming from the brush section, causing the area not being dried to burn. Example, if you were using this on the sides by your face, your face will get berned before the brush even started drying/styling your hair. I threw this away and bought a Hellen of Troy unit that I love.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When the brush attachment on my more than 10-year old Conair Hot Air Brush began to disintigrate, I looked to see what new model Conair had available. The Conair Ceramic Ionic Hot Air Brush incorporated the newer ceramic and ionic technologies while still retaining the desirable features of its predacessor. After determining that replacing the brushes would cost more than a new Conair Ceramic Ionic Hot Air Brush from Amazon, I decided to purchase an entire new unit. Amazon's price is far and away the best on the web and beats local retailers by at least $10.

The Conair Ceramic Ionic Hot Air Brush is ideal for finishing many hairstyles. While its 1000 watt power makes it impractical as one's only drying tool for longer hair, it does a fine job on shorter, cropped styles. As someone with chin-length hair, I find my Infiniti by Conair SD8 Tourmaline Ceramic Styler provides the power I need to do the initial drying phase of my style. However, my hair is somewhat boxed in the back and has a tendency to flip upward no matter what I do. The brush on the Infiniti by Conair SD8 Tourmaline Ceramic Styler has proven to be a bit large to handle my hair's length in the back in styling the turn-under. The Conair Hot Air Brush, on the other hand, is just what I needed for producing a lovely, slightly turned under curve. It is compact enough to handle the finish work on the rest of my hair without a problem. This allows me to get a nice straight look without subjecting my hair, on a daily basis, to the intense heat of a flat iron. The new ceramic and ionic features do impart additional shine to my hair and seem to cut down on the fly-away strays I have. The brush has not burned my hair which I color about every four weeks using Clairol's Natural Instincts.

The diameter of this hot air brush's handle portion has been reduced a bit from its former iterations. I have small hands and have no problems holding or manipulating the brush. This is particularly important as I am dealing with a non-functional left-hand and must be able to style my hair with only one hand. The tools are fairly easy to put on and remove, even with one hand; this may be because Conair is still using the same system that was used on my older Conair hot air brush. The on-off switch operates smoothly and is much easier to move than the switch on my older model.

The Conair Ceramic Ionic Hot Air Brush is easy to pack for travel as the pieces are sufficiently compact so the fit into the "dead spaces" between clothing and other necessities packed in your carryon or checked baggage.

You will not regret purchasing the Ceramic Ionic Hot Air Brush - it is quite functional and does an excellent job as a styling tool. I fully expect it will be as long lasting as my last Conair hot air brush.
22 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2006
This brush works great. It does exactly what the description of the product tells you it does. It is a great deal for the price.
on September 26, 2007
Conair 1000W Ionic Hot Brush - BC171CS
I have used othe Conair Air Brushes but this Ionic Hot Brush is the
GREATEST! I have very thick, course textured hair.
I can dry my hair so much faster. I really enjoy the different
attachments that come with the Hot Air Brush.
I say CONAIR keep this model in your great line of products.
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2014
While Conair does make an Ionic version of this product, THIS IS NOT IONIC. No where on the packaging does it say it is Ionic. This is ceramic, but not Ionic. The Ionic version of this product has an MSRP of $79.99. Don't be fooled. Most of these "Ionic" products on Amazon, ARE NOT IONIC. Check the model number you are thinking of purchasing with the manufacturer's website first, to make sure it really is IONIC if that is important to you. I had to send mine back and since I can't trust whoever is writing up these product descriptions is being honest, I'll have to go to a beauty supply store to find one. I am a Prime member of Amazon who orders several times a week and I love Amazon, but this product description is WRONG! On the plus side, Amazon does make returns super easy!!
on February 8, 2008
I debated and debated about which hairdryer to buy, and finally, based on reviews, I chose this one. I waited until I'd used it a few times to review it, and here are my findings: This dryer does dry your faster, and I can get some really nice, smooth curls with it. I don't find it to be too loud, compared with the dinosaur of a dryer I was replacing when I bought this one. When I read in the reviews that people were having trouble avoiding the on/off switch while drying, I thought, "Ok, now that I know it, I won't do it". Well guess what? There's no way TO avoid it. Although it's no biggie, a better design is definitely in order. You WILL turn the dryer off by accident while using it. Now, the ionic part...I will have to say, my hair feels different when I use this, but, I'm not sure I like how it feels. However, it's winter, and I've got all kinds of static going on, so I'll have to reserve that opinion for later this year.
All in all, I would recommend purchasing this dryer. Price is right for a good dryer.

8/31/11 - UPDATE:
I still LOVE this dryer, and will always use only this type. Don't hesitate to purchase it...you'll love it too!
33 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2008
I had an old version of the conair hair drying/styler, but it took me over an hour, at times 2 hours to get through super thick, curly hair. This item is a blessing!!! it takes me 30 mins to finish drying my hair and it is always looks awesome. ive gotten alot of compliments on how my hair looks the way ive been styling now compared to how i used to straighten out my hair (blow dry then use the CHI, which makes your hair stick straight and fake in my opinion) i like the inbetween look this Conair brush gives, not stick straight but not too curly, just a beautiful styled wave. I had to buy a new one of this brushed because i loved it so much, i used it til almost all the bristles fell out!! i Tried replacing this one with another conair dryer and it just didnt come close to matching the results and speed. SO THANKS CONAIR, i love this dryer!!! Its definately a good friend to those with alot of volume, texture, and curls!
PS.... THE RESULTS LAST! i style it in the morning and im usually great the rest of the day, even in windy or humid weather.