4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, pretty good
Published on September 12, 2011 by circlesquare

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!
Published 7 months ago by Celia Marquez

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, pretty good, September 12, 2011
This curling iron does what it states...heats up quickly, doesn't pull on hair, lightweight, makes pretty curls. My only issue with it, which is not that big a deal but more of a nuisance, is that it does not save the heat setting that you want it to stay at. So for example I use it at 400. So every single time when I turn the curling iron on, I need to set it to 400. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Curl Power!, February 1, 2012
UPDATE: I lost my curling iron on vacation. I liked it so much I replaced it with the same one. I notice the new one does not make that buzzing sound anymore. The newer version still works great!

PROS:
I picked this up in my supermarket at a whim. I had not used a curling iron since, er....let's say the 80's ladies. I've used the flat iron at the suggestion of my hairstylist but could not make curls without there being a crease on one side so I stopped using it. I was surprised how much more advanced they have become. I remember the old school ones that had one heat setting and you burned your forehead trying to curl your bangs. No more with this one...you can adjust the setting. I set it to the lowest setting (220 degrees), and this is more than enough to curl my hair. I have fine straight color treated hair and am very careful not to further traumatize it. You can use some product as well to protect the ends (I use the Sammy brand found at my local market). I don't find it necessary to use hairspray to hold the curl like I did in the 80's which is an added plus!

I like that it is lightweight, heats up quickly, and has automatic shut off. I especially like that the curls last! This is huge as my experience having straight fine hair is that I can expect my curls to be non existent by the end of the day. I notice that when I wake up the next morning the curl is still there.

CONS:
Mine did not come with the heating pad, but I'm using a cork trivet instead and that seems to work fine. I'm sure pot holders would work as well.

The buzzing sound also was a bit concerning, until I looked at other reviews and they said the same thing. It is not your hair burning, just an odd sounds that it makes. I don't notice it as much now.

My only criticism is that the cool tip is the same color as the iron and handle so I could see myself not paying close attention and easily reaching for the wrong end and...ouch, I've just burned myself. I think they could have made the cooling tip a different color. So far this has not happened, but none the less a concern.

The packaging mentioned something about "ionic". It would be helpful to have a further explanation somewhere that tells you exactly what that is. I am familiar with the ionic hair dryers, but I'm sure this is very different.

------

Other than that, I really like it. It is a nice change of pace from my hot air curling brush, heats up fast, easy to use and works really well.

4.0 out of 5 stars fancy!, July 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unlike any hair curler I have ever owned, this John Frieda model has multiple heat settings to handle styling needs without damaging your hair (by far the most important aspect of the iron for me). It has the ever-important auto-shutoff function and surface/luggage heat protection options. I can't speak to the temperature testing in an earlier review (wow, that's dedication!), but overall I'm pretty impressed by the features in a relatively inexpensive product.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!, April 5, 2014
I have to get to my farmer's market stand early this morning, and this is how bad I hate this curling iron. So bad enough to stop my running around just to write a review at 5:45 am this morning. This item was not thought out in it's design. The on and off switch is a bar that sits along the length of the handle, not away from the area from where you have to grasp the handle that I constantly have to turn it back on because while grasping it you will accidentally turn it off. I have to constantly turn it on after every curl, and constantly have to check if I turned it off. Really really really stupid design. Don't waste your money. I've tolerated this for months, and finally decided that I have to trash it and get another wand that doesn't have the on a off switch in the way of the grasp. Tired of being frustrated everytime I use this. So tired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Curls for Straight Hair, August 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this curling iron for my wife as she was complaining about the one cheap one she bought for $5. I figured John Frieda is a respectable name and since she uses his shampoo and conditioner (Root Awakening) already, this had to be good. I was surprised to see how hi-tech a curling iron could be. She could set the temperature using the LCD temperature controls and it had an auto shutoff switch. It was also convenient to use as it had a swivel cord so it never gets tangled like her old one and it only took 30 seconds to heat up. It comes with a heat mat as well so it won't ruin the counters or anything nearby. My wife has board straight hair and after using this she had soft, bouncy curls. Her hair looked like it was professionally done. She did note that on the lower temperature preset it gave only a curl at the end of the hair. She had to increase the temperature to 400 to get the desired curl, but this may be because her hair is naturally straight. She loves the product and so far she has not complained about her hair feeling processed either. This curling iron is a great price for all the included features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Held on to my fine hair, August 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This curling iron got hot super fast, so there's no waiting to curl your hair. There are temperature settings, so I opted with a medium heat.

My long hair is stick straight and super fine, so sometimes it slips out of curling iron's grip, which can make it hard to style your hair. This gripped my hair tightly without tugging and there was enough heated iron to wrap my hair around several times and hot enough to heat all the way through the multiple wraps of hair.

My hair is hard to curl, so I was happy with the loose curls I got from this iron. The width is nice at 1 1/4 inch and I didn't feel like it made my bangs too poofy and 80's looking.

Warming pad was nice touch and fits nicely by the sink. I like that it turns off on it's own - but not so quickly that you have to turn it back on while doing your hair. And the cord doesn't get tangled - big bonus.

4.0 out of 5 stars terrific product with one caution, June 14, 2012
I've had this curling iron for a couple of weeks now, and I like it more than any curling iron I've ever owned (and I've had many). The temperature can be set where you want it, a feature I really like but it is related to my only caution. I have changed the setting inadvertently on more than one occasion. Maybe it's me---maybe I hold it differently than most people, but I doubt it. Now I'm very careful to make sure I don't change the setting---I don't want to burn my hair!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tool makes curling hair easy and quick!, August 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
John Frieda can do no wrong! I simply loved this barrel curing iron. I have really think and frizzy wavy hair that needs a lot of heat to make a curl stick. I also live in south Texas so humidity is a huge issue. I plugged it up and hit the high setting and grabbed large sections and started curling. The only curling iron I have found to work in the past is the gold and hot but it can really damage your hair so I was surprised and happy to learn that a ceramic curling iron would work. I also tried this on my sister who has pin straight hair and never holds a curl and it also worked on her hair. Now I would say don't try this at the highest setting because my hair did get stiff and a bit fried. Warning start at a medium setting. I will say it would have been nice if it had a carrying case. I would say this is defiantly worth the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars gives my wife's hair new curls, August 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my wife, who decided to try curling her hair. She's found it pretty effective so far. She naturally has pretty straight hair. However, with this curling iron she's able to curl it without suffocating it in hairspray. I've even noticed that the curls remain curly throughout the day and even into the following day. For the price it seems like a good way to vary up her hairstyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great John Frieda Hair Care Product, July 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
John Frieda are among my favorite hair care products. They're relatively inexpensive, and get the job done, no matter what the hair problem. This curling iron lives up to the John Frieda name. The directions weren't kidding when it says the barrel heats up in 30 seconds. Wow! I'm not used to such fast curling iron delivery. More important, there are eleven heat temperature settings, ensuring every hair type achieves the desired amount of curl. My hair has a slight wave (and cowlicks) and is on the short side. Using this size barrel at medium heat (310 degrees)gave wonderful body instead of pronounced curls, just the look I want. No pulling or unnatural kinks anywhere--hair easily wraps and releases around the barrel, thanks to titanium/ceramic technology. And for you forgetful folks, it turns off after sixty minutes. Travelers will be happy to see an included protective heat sleeve to put over a hot barrel. What more could you ask for out of a curling iron?