1,403 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Better Than I Thought
Published on January 20, 2007 by W. C. Sherman

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good!
Published on August 6, 2008 by Jason T. Wentworth

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Better Than I Thought, January 20, 2007
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend, who kept complaining that he couldn't get to sleep sometimes because the house was too quiet. I looked at a much more expensive sound therapy machine at the mall, but it didn't have white noise, which is what he said he wanted. I thought this one was awfully cheap, but figured I'd try it before investing in a more expensive one.

We tried it the first night, and we weren't happy with the white noise sound, but love the falling rain and the running stream. A few days later, I ended up stealing it from his side of the bed and putting it on mine, and I love the thing! Within 5 minutes, I am sound asleep. I love the volume control too, which some machines don't have. I'm probably going to buy one for everyone I know for Xmas next year - I'm that happy with it! Great value for the price too. Goes to show you don't always have to spend more to get a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for people with little ones!, December 31, 2006
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
We bought this product to use in our daughter's room (she's less than a year old). We had previously used a small desktop fan on the floor to "white noise" out the house sounds (we have hardwood floors throughout the house and everything sounds like it's happening just outside the door). While the fan was okay, this is MUCH better.

It's smaller, lighter weight and I was happy to get rid of the fan since it cooled the room down considerably (something we didn't need in the middle of winter in New England). We bought a second one for our room. Our home is close to the highway and at night it now feels like we are miles away from the busy road.

I also like the battery/plug option. It'll be handy for when we travel.

This is going to be the baby shower gift I give from now on!

4.0 out of 5 stars White noise sounds most like a fan; rain sound is the most natural., November 18, 2011
Squirrel Geek (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
It does the job in providing ambient noise in a bedroom. It's not going to hide the bumps and noises that vibrate through the house, but sound machines help to make them less noticeable. The concept behind any sound machine is that if you've already got some noise in your ears, all the other sudden noises blend in rather than startle a person awake.

Some notes:

- There's a single red LED light on top, which is not too obtrusive.

- The buttons make a click sound when pressed, so switching sounds while a baby is sleeping is not seamless. I don't recommend doing so.

- At a higher volume, the white noise sound has some distortion and other repetitive noises or ringing that occurs and is annoying if you're paying attention. We liked it at first because it replaced having to run a tabletop fan in the middle of winter, but the distortion got a bit annoying. So either I use it a low volumes, or if I need higher volume, I switch to the rain.

- The rain sound feels the most natural because the steady rain fall is not interrupted by noticeable cycling or repeat seams or other thunder sounds. It sounds like a steady rain is falling outside your windows, but without thunder and lightning.

***
23 January 2012 Update:

After a few months of usage, I noticed another issue that affects the quality of the sound machine:

If there is another electronic device in the room, the sound machine will occasionally have static. I finally figured out that the cell phones (either a smartphone-iPhone, or a regular primitive cell phone) were causing the interference. It's not immediate, but it's pretty disruptive in the middle of the night when it happens. I have a digital baby monitor camera in the room, too, but that doesn't cause interference, though I think the older radio styles might.

It *is* possible to use a smartphone in the room without causing static noises as long as it is in airplane mode (all Wi-Fi and phone service turned off--for those of you who use your phones as silent vibrating alarm clocks.)

P.S. We've used the sound machine in the same room as an ultrasonic humidifier, and they seem to be compatible with no interference.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good!, August 6, 2008
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
Unfortunately, the loop of the sound (especially in the White Noise setting) is audible...meaning, if you are lying down and trying to relax, you will notice the end and then beginning of the loop and, instead of relaxing, you'll key in on it and end up pissed off. I'm usually more sensitive about noise issues but, when my wife noticed it, I knew there was a problem. If anyone remembers playing LPs, it is like a more subtle version of the needle getting to the end of the record. We need to get a different device soon or we'll go nuts.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need to block out external noise, November 4, 2006
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
Nice sound machine. Lots of options, including white noise which is sometimes hard to find on these machines. Love the volume control. That is a big plus. It's also fairly small so it doesn't take up a huge amount of room on my son's dresser.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not inexpensive; cheap, June 9, 2007
I. Perry (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
Other reviews on this site said that this inexpensive item, was a bargain, so I bought it. The sounds it produces are very low quality. The white noise sounds like low quality TV static. Each of the other 9 options repeat their sound within a few seconds and are of equally low quality. I have heard white noise machines that produce a much more pleasurable and substantial sound that will put you to sleep in minutes. Unfortunately, from my experience this seeming bargain was not worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Interference Creates Loud Screeching Noises, October 31, 2007
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
The sounds it makes are fine and in fact are soothing but if you put it in a room with other electronic devices, there is a LOUD interference sound (similar to when you put a cell phone next to speakers) that occurs intermittently.

We've moved it everywhere but can't figure out what is causing the interference. Because it only happens every few hours, if we go to sleep with it, we get woken up in the middle of the night with loud screeches.

Unless you have a room with NO electronics whatsoever, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars More than one owner says, "Warning, Unreliable!", April 12, 2007
G. Latham (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The sound machine has been a godsend for our children. It soothes them and helps to support an undisturbed night's sleep-- a precious commodity with little ones! However, this particular Conair model has been a disappointment. Performance is just fine, but reliability is certainly not. I've purchased not one but TWO over the past year, and both have died after just a couple of months of use. Given similar comments by other reviewers, I don't think I'm a statistical oddity. The machine is just not a robust product.

Buyer beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Product for the Price, December 28, 2006
N. Bilmes "bookaholic" (Vernon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This device delivers exactly what you want from a White Noise machine. Noise. There are plenty of options, all easily distinguishable, to listen to, and the option to have the noise stop after an hour or continue unabated. Easy instructions and controls make this a great item for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conair SU1W Sound Therapy, May 13, 2007
This review is from: Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine (Health and Beauty)
I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this product. I love everything about it; ease of use, variety of sounds to choose from, option to set timer or leave on all night. This has improved my sleeping experience, helping me to fall asleep faster and get back to sleep in the middle of the night. I highly recommend the Conair SU1W Sound Therapy to anyone who suffers from insomnia.

Conair Sound Therapy Sound Machine