I was anxious to try this curling iron after reading about it in a magazine. Couldn't find it in local retail/beauty supply stores so went to trusty Amazon and got it. (Now there are several of these on the market, but this was the first out.)

Published on May 30, 2010 by B. Grandon

2.0 out of 5 stars kind of a big old waste of moolah
My boyfriend bought this for me, sort of on impulse. I've used every styling tool known to man, and this thing looked cool.
Published on October 4, 2010 by high maintenance

4.0 out of 5 stars learning curve involved - always use heat glove - can create gorgeous curls, May 30, 2010
B. Grandon (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)

Spiral curls that start wider and taper to smaller, like an inverted triangle, are much more flattering than uniform ones, and this curler can create those.

I have fine, wavy/curly hair, chin length, and alternate between flat ironing and going 'natural'. I have used 'regular' curling irons with mixed success, because I like the spiral effect and more lift at the scalp, so I thought this cone shape would help accomplish a better look. It works best on me when my hair is not too clean (and has some product in it.) All I have to do is a few strategic sections, and my hair looks wonderful, and I get lots of compliments on it vs when I just 'let it go' and its more frizzy and helter skelter in appearance.

It has no clamp, nothing to hold the hair on the surface, you just take a piece of hair and twist it around the barrel, twisting down toward the narrower tip, hold for a few seconds. (It is best to have protective product in your hair).

It does heat up quite quickly, as advertised.

A minor negative is that the on/off button was placed in a poorly planned position on the wand, and the button is too sensitive, a mere touch and you have shut the thing off mid curl. I have done that several times.

It was fairly easy to master on my left side, as I am right handed; when I got to my right side, and have to 'twist' with my non dominant hand -- I am finding it really tricky. Forget about doing the back, that is just too hard. I suggest using a different method for the back, another curling iron or hot curlers, or whatever, if your hair is shorter particularly.

It did create a wonderful lift at the scalp and the nice spiral shaped curl I was looking for. I have burned myself twice (they now include a glove, always use it!).

Another thing that should have been included was a heatproof sleeve, like my Sedu flat iron has - but I guess they opted not to as I guess this is a lower priced mass market item.

Overall I recommend - provided a heatproof glove is used, if you are patient enough to handle the learning curve with using it on your non dominant side. Creates really pretty curls.

(Trying to improve my reviews, so if you found value in this one let me know by checking the 'helpful' box.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Curls, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I have medium/long straight hair, and I have tried to achieve curls (or at least waves) for YEARS with no luck. I can't seem to figure out hot rollers to save my life, and I always get weird kinks in my hair when I try using regular curling irons. Plus, that just gives me tight "Shirley Temple" curls which isn't really the look I want. Recently, my boyfriend suggested that I start wearing my hair curly, so I looked online for tips on how to get waves with a curling iron since I can't figure it out apparently. I found a suggestion that wrapping your hair around the barrel might work better, so I went to the store in search of a curling iron since I no longer owned one. Then I saw this one, and even though I am a broke college student, I impulsively decided to drop the 40 bucks on this since it appeared to be what I was looking for. I AM SO HAPPY I BOUGHT THIS. I get the prettiest, softest wavy hair with this curling iron. It's actually really easy to use, and the more I use it, the better I get at it. You could definitely get really cute tighter curls with this too, but I choose to use larger chunks to get a wavy look. I have seen people suggesting that you use a heat glove, but I'm fine without one. I suppose it would help if you want the curls to go all the way to the end of your hair, though. Another thing I like about this iron is that you start curling your hair closer to the scalp so you get a lot of volume. The curls let out a little throughout the day, but I think they look even better after they relax a bit. I would (and already have to several people) suggest this curling iron!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Conair, what took you so long???, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have two huge complaints with most curling irons. One is that the ends of my hair usually look fried. The second is the dreaded clamp mark that I ultimately get. This iron eliminates both problems for me.

One of my biggest pet peeves with curling irons and straighteners is that when the on/off switch and temperature control are on the handle...and they all are due to design limitatins...I'm constantly accidentally changing the heat setting or turn off the iron. This didn't happen with the Conair CD117 Infinity You. This scored huge points with me.

My hair is halfway down my back. It's naturally wavy with a loose curl. I would not recommend this product for hair that is shorter than shoulder length. The hair has to be long enough to wrap around the iron one or two times AND have enough hair left to hold the ends on the cool tip. If the hair is too short to do this, the user could easily get burned.

This iron is also best for bouncy curls, spiral curls or to add body. If you are trying to get your hair to flip up or down...this wouldn't be the best item. I also would never use it on my bangs. It isn't very versatile in that respect. It exceeds my expectations for spiral curls and body. So, the curls it can create...it does well.

I didn't have any problems using this device. There was no learning curve for me. The iron heats up quickly. There was no weird smell during the first use. I also didn't have any problems with touching the curling iron shaft. No burns. I actually used it for the first time on a day that I had a job interview. My hair looked great. The ends looked healthy-other curling irons make them look dry. The curls were perfect. There were no clamp marks!! I didn't use any additional styling products. I washed and conditioned my hair and blew it dry using my regular hair dryer and a round brush. Then I used the CD117.

My tips:
-I usually straighten my hair at 350-degrees. I kept the Infinity at 330 for curling-which was the second to the lowest setting.
-I held the iron in the hand on the side of my body opposite to hair I wanted to curl. I used my free hand to wrap the hair. This makes it easier to hold the iron with the tip pointing down.
-Hold the iron with the cool tip pointing down.
-I started wrapping my hair about 3-4 inches from the top of my head.
-I put the top section of hair in the middle of the iron shaft and wrapped down.
-I left an inch of ends hang off the cool tip. This keeps you from getting burned.
-Once I had the hair wrapped, I twirled the curling iron counter-clockwise to get the hair closest to the top of my head wrapped.
-I counted to 8 and unwrapped my hair.
-I let the curls cool completely before doing anything else.

Every section of hair I wrapped turned out great. It took less than 15 minutes for me to curl my entire head of hair.

This is indeed the best curling iron I've ever used. If mine breaks I will replace it even at twice the selling price.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or give it as a gift. I have told everyone I could about this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wand, Easy to Use, Short Learning Curve!, January 15, 2013
CMCM (Nevada City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I tried both the regular You Curl and the XL size, so this review relates to both. Yeah, I'm wordy but I'm giving all the info I would have liked when I was deciding what to buy!

We all have different hair, so the same item won't work identically for each person. Me, I have fine hair (as a kid it was somewhat wavy, but now is fairly straight after blow drying) that curls fairly easily and also damages easily. Due to coloring, my hair is fragile so I've always avoided hair tools like this that apply direct heat. I always dry my below-shoulder length hair with a dryer, and curl the ends a bit with a hot air brush. But I really wanted beach waves, so I bought the smaller size Conair You Curl as my first attempt at this. I kept the heat on the lowest setting and only did about 5-8 seconds, but the curls were too small and tight. The wand tapers quite a bit at the bottom (1/4" perhaps??), so you really get a small curl down there and the hair does tend to slide down the wand, so no avoiding that. I wasn't totally happy with the effect as it was just too tight for my taste. I read reviews like crazy but in the end, the Conair seemed to have the most enthusiastic reviews, and frankly, I couldn't see anything to justify paying a hundred or more for pretty much the same technology with a fancy brand name price bump: Let's face it, there isn't much overly special about curling wand technology, the thing heats up. I think it might be the other features that determine what you like. Some of the more expensive wands seemed to lack good features that I liked on the Conair.

I decided a larger barrel might work better, but the question was how large to go. Since I liked the basic features of the Conair and they had a larger model, I ordered the XL on Sunday, and with Prime it arrived Tuesday. BINGO! The larger barrel size on the XL is just what I needed to get the effect I wanted. Perfect beach waves and I did my whole head in under 5 minutes. Since I'm not a fan of the tight curls, I'm not keeping the smaller one. Other people who like Taylor Swift type curls would like the smaller size.

Features I especially like and which are not necessarily on other brands:

1. One button to turn it on or off. Second button to click thru the four labeled heat settings, 310 to 400. I stuck to 310 due to my fine hair, it's plenty hot. I liked having temperature choices rather than just "on" and "off" as is the case with some wands. It heats up really quickly, which is great (under 30 seconds). I really don't get the complaints about accidentally turning this off or changing the heat, that has never happened to me. On the heat button, you don't press straight down, you press to one side (with a +) to move the heat upwards, and the other side (marked with a -) to reduce heat, so it would be hard to accidentally change the setting. You have to push the on/off button down enough that I don't think you would accidentally turn it off, either. It needs to be a deliberate action with the tip of your finger.

2. Ceramic wand surface: Seems fine, although I would actually doubt that any of the hype on "special coatings" for any of the brands means all that much. I suspect this type of "ceramic" surface (feels like Teflon) might be a bit better than the shiny metal that older curling irons had, but perhaps not, they all get dang hot, that's how you get the curl. The smaller size wand tapered quite a bit starting at the middle and was quite small at the tip, whereas the XL didn't taper so extremely, and from that standpoint I had less hair slippage with the XL The XL box stated that the wand size was 1-1/4" down to 3/4 inch. I don't know what the smaller one is, the box didn't give this info, but the tip in particular is much smaller on it. I found the XL much easier to use, actually, and it seemed somewhat quicker to use overall by a few minutes. When I was reading reviews of various brands, I noticed some went as large as 2", but from my experience with the XL, I know I wouldn't like one that large, I don't think I'd get the waves with it.

Final comment on size: I saw a major difference in the type of curl I got with the two wands, both in 5 to 8 seconds for my fine hair. Less time with the smaller wand didn't mean a looser beachy wave, it just didn't look all that good, it wasn't shaped very well. A bit more time made a tighter ringlet type curl (again, on my hair) if you want that and all the fullness that goes with it. I had to mess with my hair more afterwards, trying to loosen up the curls, and I really couldn't ever quite get the look I wanted (loose, flowing beachy type waves).

I felt I had more control with the XL...in 5 or 6 seconds I got I nice loose beach wave that looked right, and a bit more time gives more of a curl. So I feel I get the best of both possibilities with the XL. Overall, I want to get the look I want with the least possible time of hair around the hot wand. 5 seconds seems pretty good to me.

3. Ease of Use: Ladies, there's maybe a three or four time usage learning curve, that's it. I never even bothered with that mini-glove and I haven't burned myself. I've used the wands maybe 5 times now and it's easy as pie, you get the hang of it pretty quickly. I'll add that I'm pretty much a hair moron with very little experience doing special things with my hair, I've always been a dry and go type of girl. With this wand, you just need to be careful as you use it, watch your face and ears and finger tips, and that's it. I don't really see how you could use this wand with that silly glove on anyway. It gives a false security, and you don't need it.

The key to doing the waves is hold the wand with your left hand when you are doing your right side, and vice versa. You can hold it somewhat horizontal when wrapping it, then point it down, and this minimizes the slippage people complain about. If you try to wrap your hair with the wand in the vertical position, yes, hair slips down a bit too much, but mostly it doesn't matter. You figure out how to hold things and how tight to wrap your hair, it all becomes natural rather quickly. Don't totally wrap the end of your hair, you hold onto that while and after winding the strand of hair around the wand. Then release. Really, it's all quite easy to do. For my fine hair, smaller chunks of hair make a tighter curl/wave, and more hair makes it looser. You figure this all out quickly, what you like. Coarser hair might need higher heat or more time than I use. Also, I'll mention that after washing and conditioning, I apply a Tresemme split end remedy leave-in cream and a bit of something like Pearatin's Fortifyiing Repairative Serum (love this stuff!!), then blow dry, curl up ends a bit with my hot air brush (so the ends aren't straw like straight). THEN I use the curling wand. When done, I leave the waves alone for 5 to 10 minutes before messing with it.

It sounded like I needed a heat protectant spray to protect my hair if possible due to the heat of the barrel touching my hair, so I tried the Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. It's great, doesn't gunk up the hair, and smells nice and not overpowering. With a light hand in the spraying of it, when you are done you can't even tell it's on the hair, no stickiness or stiffness at all, so I like it. I hope it protects well enough. I'm still trying to decide the best time to use this: on my wet hair after applying my Pearatin etc. but before blow drying, or whether to blow dry and then put it on before using the You Curl. Not sure yet on this. http://www.amazon.com/TRESemme-Thermal-Creations-Tamer-Protective/dp/B000H88QOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358287161&sr=8-2&keywords=tresemme

4. Cord: plenty long enough, with a swivel feature that is nice. Regular plug, not one of those block things.

5. It seems to cool down fairly quickly, and has a little stand type thingy on the barrel handle so when you lay it down on a surface, the hot part isn't touching anything. (tip touches, but it doesn't get hot)

6. Five year warranty, but be sure to register with Conair.

7. Finally, price: Hands down Amazon has the BEST price I found anywhere. There may be sales here and there, but I looked all over and couldn't find the XL in any store. Lots of places had the smaller wand for nearly twice Amazon's price and in the usual pharmacies it ranged from ten to twenty bucks more than Amazon. The price differences are amazing, I was quite shocked. A few dollars I'd expect, but twice the price in a couple of places! Yikes! And some online places charged ten bucks more for the XL than the smaller size, whereas on Amazon there is only a one dollar difference!

Overall, excellent, and I'm quite happy with the XL. I really don't see how anything at a higher price point could be better.

2.0 out of 5 stars kind of a big old waste of moolah, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I'd tried the whole "wrap-around" technique (i.e. grab a section of hair, wrap it around the barrel of a curling iron without using the clamp) before, and was excited because I figured I'd get the hang of this pretty quick. I played with the you curl on three separate occasions, using different-sized chunks of hair each time, and every time the results were disappointing. Using small chunks of hair, you get kinky, multi-directional shocks of hair shooting out every which way- kind of like a poodle that's been electrocuted. Medium chunks of hair will get you some soft curls with a strange bend in them here and there. And large chunks of hair tend to lose whatever shape the iron gives them- usually ending up with a weird right-angle bend in them somewhere.
One of the problems with this tool is that it's tapered. If it were a consistent thickness from base to tip, the hair wouldn't slowly inch its way down the tool to the thinnest part of the iron. As it is, hair tends on slipping, so you end up with tighter curls than desired- with weird bends in them.

I love the look of soft waves as opposed to really tight curls- and I love the idea behind this product. However, it is easy to get better, more consistent results by wrapping medium-to-large chunks of hair around a regular 1" barrel curling iron, pretending the clamp is not there. If you don't wind tightly, you won't have any crimpy marks in you hair denoting the clamp line, and because the barrel is not tapered, hair tends to stay in place better.

I'd at least reccommend using a regular curling iron in this fashion before you buy the you curl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best curling iron ever, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I recently purchased this on a whim, as I found it on sale at Walgreens for $25. I had been eyeing the Enzo Milano clampless iron for a while now, but at $150 I figured it would be wise to give the Conair a shot first.

Being that my hair is long (past my waist), super thick, and extremely straight, I didn't have high expectations. Not once in my entire life have I ever been able to curl my hair. I've gone to high end salons, tried rollers, super freeze hairspray, you name it. Ive tried every curling iron out there, hot tools, the Chi Air, T3, with no luck.
The curls fall out within a few hours, and Ive wasted two hours for no reason. From weddings to prom, I always tried and failed. I was beginning to think id need to chop my hair off and use extensions if I wanted curls at my own wedding someday!!

I was pleasantly SHOCKED at how quickly this iron curled my hair!! I ended up with a head full of glossy, smooth curls. I used a bit of mousse for flyaways, and that was all. When I woke up the next day, it was still curly!! I didn't even use hairspray.
I would definitely get this iron, don't even bother wasting $150+ on a more expensive one. If it curled my hair, I'm positive it will work for anyone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Second choice wand and should have been first!, October 1, 2013
ABOUT MY HAIR:
Fine, limp, hardly holds body, difficult to manage, color treated, dry, and about 2 inches below my shoulders so it's med length hair.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
I wanted to achieve waves, not curls but I knew when buying this that it was going to give me curls so I knew what to expect and was prepared to do what I needed to do to get the waves I wanted so I bought this hoping I could still achieve waves.

PROCESS IN USING WAND:
I set it to 400 degrees (it shot up in heat instantly so it was more than ready to use within a minute) I read the instructions and did what it told me to do as far as parting my hair in 3 sections (bottom, middle, and top) I sprayed the bottom part with manageable hair spray (a quick mist over entire bottom area)and began to curl as instructed (I did big chunks at a time and little as well). I held it over the wand for varying times from about 6 seconds to 20 seconds and either way when you let the hair drop off the wand you get amazing curls. I held about an inch of the ends away from the curler though to get a more natural look and to not burn myself. (It comes with a half glove to prevent burning yourself) but I ended up taking it off and I managed not to burn myself without it. I let the second layer of hair down, quickly misted with hair spray and repeated the process until the 3rd layer was let down and curled and had a whole head of pretty amazing curls. With the length of my hair doing my whole head took about 10-15 minutes surprisingly and will probably be a lot quicker my second time around.

FINAL RESULT:
As I did not want "curls" but just waves, I took my fingers and ran them through my hair a few times to break up the curls and then I combed them out with a wide tooth comb which helped break them up further and give them a more separated and layered look. I then took a hair straightener I had on and lightly went over the curls to get a more beachy waves look than spiral curls look and it worked perfectly. This was my first time using the wand and I can't wait to use it again. I went to sleep with the waves as they were and woke up with EVEN BETTER waves in my hair so the curls stay if you put a little spray in your hair which is awesome. In just combing the curls out with your fingers and a wide tooth comb that may even be a good enough "wavy" look for some of you but I wanted a more subtle and natural look so I straightened it a bit.

NOTES: The wand is non-stick so the hair you wrap around it DOES slide down the wand sometimes but it's not that hard to adjust it so that it's where you want it to be. Practice will make perfect as this product does exactly what it is designed to do. I am used to heat products FRYING my hair (especially the ends) but since this is Tourmaline Ceramic it made my hair silky, smooth, and shiny. This wasn't my first choice for a curling wand but it was all they had that I researched at the store (It was my second choice) and I am glad I got it. It's really a great wand. I would only recommend this to people with hair from right under jawline- mid length hair like mine as if it's longer it will take more time and effort and you'd prob be better off using a 1 1/2 - 2 inch barrel instead of the 1/2 - 1 like I have. I will however be getting the bigger barrel for the best of both worlds. I also think if you hold your hair around the wand for maybe 3-5 seconds (which sounds too short to work I know but on the 400 setting it's enough) it will probably give you waves without having to use the straightener but I'll try that my second go round.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Not That Hard, People, June 19, 2011
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
Though the Conair You Curl has a bit of a learning curve, it is not that hard to operate at all. You simply have to put the wand in the opposite hand of the side you are trying to curl. For example, if you are trying to curl the left side of your head, I suggest holding the wand upside down in your right hand and using your left hand to wrap your hair around the barrel. If you want small, tight curls, use small sections of hair and tightly wind them around the barrel--for big, looser curls, use a larger section and don't wrap it as tightly. Once you use this iron a couple of times, it is easy to get used to. I'll admit that my hair was a big hot mess the first two or three times that I used it, so I don't recommend using this for your first time right before a major event. But practice makes perfect, and once you get adjusted to it, I promise that this will be your favorite styling tool. However, I did have to take off one star for the "heat glove" that is included because it only covers the thumb, the middle, and the pinkie finger. Even if the glove did fit properly, the material is very thin and not at all heat resistant. I was considering adding back the fifth star for the amusement that the glove provided me--but for $29.95, it really wasn't that funny. Unfortunately, you don't get to choose the color of your iron if ordering on Amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised to get one in a light pink chrome finish in honor of breast cancer awareness. But I would expect to get a red one, as all the irons in stores seem to be that color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the price, July 7, 2010
Paige "Paige" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I have thin hair that doesn't like to hold a curl. I have tried different irons, curling with a straightening iron, hot rollers...the whole bit. Too much styling product just weighs my hair down so that wasn't much of an option. However, I read the reviews on this iron and went searching for it (had a special occassion and wanted it THAT day!) I used CHI IronGuard to protect my hair from the heat and help with the hold. I had no problems getting the iron itself figured out (watched a couple of youtube tutorials to help) and have never had more compliments on my hair. It heats up in seconds (I use that time to section my hair)and allows you to chose the temp for your hairtype. I can curl all of it in under 30 minutes then I just let it cool and hang upside to while I run my fingers through it. I end up with Taylor Swift style curl/waves and it stays all day. They get a little looser, but still look great. I absolutely love this iron and intend to use it A LOT! I do agree with the others that a heat glove would be very beneficial. I have gotten burned, but not yet bad enough to cause injury. However, getting the ends smoothed all the way to the tip would need some protection for your fingers. So, now I am in search of a good heat glove to go along with it but it hasn't stopped me from using it in the meantime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - Just as Advertised!, December 11, 2010
E's Mom (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand (Misc.)
I was hoping this would create the type of modern, beachy waves I have been wanting and it did just that. I usually have no luck with other curling irons or hot rollers, but I found this very easy to use from the first time I tried it. I did not have a problem with getting burned as other reviewers have stated nor did I find the iron awkard or difficult to use at first. I strongly recommend this product!

Conair YOU CURL Curling Wand