5.0 out of 5 stars Intregal part of my 75 pound weight loss!!!
Published on March 22, 2009 by D. Fraser

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with BodyCraft VR500
Edited 6/3/2013

My husband and I compared the Concept2 Model D with the PM3 Module side-by-side with a BodyCraft VR500 Commercial Rower. We tried the minimum, medium and nearly the maximum resistance settings. We bought a BodyCraft VR500. Here is why:

Concept2 Pros:
+Many Many MANY reviews
+A lot of machine for a great price
+The...
Published 15 months ago by WeaverGrace

5.0 out of 5 stars Intregal part of my 75 pound weight loss!!!, March 22, 2009
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
I own the Concept 2 Model D. I purchased it last year after an exhausting field and internet search. I "casually" used it for several months until a few months ago when I became very serious about losing weight. I now use the rower 5 to 6 times a week 30 minutes minimum- with an average of 45 minutes and occasionally (usually Saturday mornings) a 60 minute workout. I do not overdue the individual workouts, and maintain about a 23 stroke per minute rhythm.

I chose this rower for several reasons. First, the great reviews on internet websites. Secondly, I was very impressed with the sales associate. He did not try to "oversell" me, instead he convinced me that for my needs the model D was more than sufficient. Third, I was fortunate enough to try one out at a friends home gym- I was impressed. Lastly- this is a high quality machine- very sturdy and well designed.

I utilize this machine, along with a low carb diet and walking 3-4 miles 2 to 3 times a week, to lose 75 pounds! I started this last September 2008- weighing in at nearly 300 pounds at 6'1". As of now, end of March 2009, I am down to 225 and feel great! That's it, no magic other than consistency! If it were not for this rower, my efforts would have been much, much less successful. (I tried walking alone on previous attempts and walking by itself as the main exercise did not cut it for me for drastic weight loss.)

This rower offers a full body workout! I ordered the machine and it arrived inside of a week. The rower literally snaps together. I did call customer service with a couple questions, and they were very helpful and walked me through the set-up. It is sturdy for big guys like me. The only maintenance I have done is an occasional wiping of light oil on the pull chain- that's it. The machine is not so noisy that I can't watch TV while working out. I strongly recommend this rower!

TWO YEAR UPDATE (2/12/11)- I still use the rower and it is still in PERFECT condition! The seat is a bit softer but no wear or tear. 4 friends have purchased this rower after trying out mine. About a year ago I reached 215 pounds using the same program described above. Then, totally unrelated to the rower, I pinched a nerve in my right shoulder from an old dislocation I had as a kid. I had to stop rowing because of the discomfort. Within 6 months I gained 10 pounds and was up to 225 again. My shoulder had healed so I tried this rower again, only this time instead of extended cardio several times a week, I incorporated the rower with Dr. Al Sears high intensity interval training, three times a week for about 12-15 minutes. All I can say is "wow", within 6 weeks I blasted 25 pounds off with no discomfort. The rower was perfect for his method! I also experimented with a powerlung, and used it for once a week, 10 minutes at low intensity. My lung power greatly improved. Although I have not religiously used the powerlung once a week, I try to use it whenever I am in the mood- about once every two weeks. The result has been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Rower", October 17, 2008
New England Yankee (Northern New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
You need go no further than a major crew regatta such as the Head of the Charles to understand why Concept2 rowers are regarded as the best available. Generally there are only a few rower manufacturers represented in vendor alley, and the one with the crowd will be Concept2. Found in crew boathouses everywhere, not only are they well-built and smooth, but can even be linked together to work in unison for training purposes. It's actually quite amazing to see in action. Concept2 also has an enormously enthusiastic user base that competes across the world. That's indoor rower competition! You'll also find Concept2 rowers in gyms everywhere - they're very tough.

Concept2 makes two models. They are actually fairly close in specs and the pricing difference is a few hundred dollars. This listing is for Concept2's D model with their PM3 electronics module. I view the principal difference between the D and E models as height (the E is a bit taller). The E also comes standard with the PM4 module, while the D is available with either the PM3 or PM4. For most people the major difference between the 2 modules is that the PM4 comes with heart rate monitoring and a chest strap. If you don't need HR monitoring or already have a standalone monitor, you'll be quite happy with the item presented here - the D model with the PM3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Workout, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
About me: I am 50 year old chick just trying to hang on to what I got. I have have two herniated disks in the past, compete in triathlons and trying to stay in decent shape without too much time commitment. I swore off the local gym due to distance, cost, germs and just ridiculous drama. Since then I have been "piecing together my basement gym". I have all of my equipment from Craigslist, but the C2's just never come up for sale. I had decided to add some hard hitting cardio to my workout; I did a bunch of research and came up with "rowing".

Initially, I knew ZERO about rowing, so I read EVERY AMAZON review, watched every YOUTUBE video. I will say it is not very often that I will pull the trigger on a $900 purchase sight unseen, but I did confidently with this purchase.

With that being said, I can honestly say this piece of equipment has humbled me. I got off after my first 2000m in 9 minutes and my muscles were screaming and I was so hooked. Where else can you get a non-pounding workout that totally takes your breath away in 10 minutes and is FUN, FUN, FUN!

I always do mega-research on any big purchase. After reading all the reviews, here are the few notes about the rower, accessories and usage that I jotted down that might help others in their purchase:

1. There are several computer programs out there for online rowing: the two most popular seem to be: 1)Oarsome Foursome and 2) RowPro from DigitalRowing.

I didn't try Oarsome Foursome, but this is what the website said: A general fitness and training DVD for all fitness levels - with or without a rowing machine brought to you by the Australian rowing legends, the Oarsome Foursome. I have other workout DVDs like this and they are interesting the first few times, but because "they play the same thing time after time" they become stale. ProRow, reviewed below, will keep your attention over time because it is very customizable.

ProRow (...) is a slick software program that keeps you visually engaged in your rowing progress. This program offers multiple combinations of rowing, will track your progress and allows you to easily race against other rowers throughout the world. Users can pick various distances, race against yourself or multiple Olympic caliber rowers, change views, race online, and even offers a coaching clinic. I did try this software and I did love it. The free, 20 day trial is almost a no-brainer and is a Cadillac program.

My only gripe with the software is that it doesn't let you adjust the time for your time zone. Customer support said this would be fixed in the next release late 2012, but I find it incredibly annoying to have to calculate the time to join a group row. The software is $100...which is a little steep after plopping down $900 for the rower, but it is a one time fee without those annoying renewable/yearly fees. My assessment: Worth every penny!

2. I went back in forth in trying to justify the extra expense of PM4, but I just couldn't. Now that I have the PM3, I have to admit I didn't really think about the value of the heart rate (HR) capture. [The other features of the PM4 I determined I could live without].

One reviewer made a comment on how he could see all his progress over time: heart rate, SPM, time and weight because it was all tracked. That got me to thinking. If you already have a Polar compatible chest strap and the $25 HR attachment from Concept, your HR will show up on the PM3 monitor. You will not get more detailed data such as "time in zone" or "maximum HR" on the monitor, but if you are wearing your watch receiver when you row all the usual metrics it provides will be stored as a file on your watch. As a result, I will be ordering the $25 cable soon.

3. As a newbie, I found the Youtube and Concept 2 videos on proper form essential before I ever sat on the machine. I think it helped me understand/visualize good form before I got settled into any bad habits.

4. One row owner noted incredible weight loss and toning results using the "Pete Plan". I found the website and plan by googling "Pete Plan" and "rowing". It's free. Check out the tab called "Pimp My Erg". There is a device called C-Breeze that takes the out air from the flywheel and blows it back out on you to keep you cool. Xmas gift???

5. One row owner recommended oiling the chain every 10th use and using a Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean on the bar to keep it clean and friction free.

6. Several folks used towels over the seat for extra cushioning, others bought the C2 seat. Some folks use gloves; my bike gloves work great.

7. For an non-impact workout that maximizes calorie burn this machine is the answer. I can easily burn about 150 calories in 9 minutes with a 2k meter row which equals 900 calories in an hour!!

8. One reviewer has her kid do a 500m row before he could use his X-Box. How creative...

9. My 13 year old told me that rowing was so easy. We sat down and has a "row off": I did a 2000m and she did a 500m. I beat her Strokes/Min by .1. Since then, she is on my rower twice a day...when her friends come over, she makes them row. She is determined to beat me. [Not going to happen, Jessie!]

9. Okay, this is where you will find me totally crazy. There are actually indoor rowing championships. Amazon won't let me post the link, but on the C2 website go to /home/racing/calendar. I found a local event in my area and immediately signed up for a 500m race the same day I ordered the rower. What I didn't know is that the new rowers are used for the one day competition and then sold at a nice discount....

The local row team sponsors this indoor rowing competition. They bring in new C2 D rowers, use them one day and sell them afterwards. Big screens to watch the action, age group competitions [13-70] and so many different length races. There was a time lapse Youtube video of last year's event that is worth two minutes if you haven't been to one of these.

These local events are feeder/qualification races for the World Indoor Rowing Championships, called C.R.A.S.H.-B in Boston-February 18th this year. C2 has info about this on their website under RACING or check the C.R.A.S.H.-B website directly.

10. Out of all my workout equipment [CompuTrainer, elliptical, treadmill, Bowflex and VasaTrainer swim machine] if I had to pick and keep just one....yep, it would be this rower.

11. Want to try before you buy? Go to to the Concept 2 website and look under \Online Tools\Find an Indoor Rower for rowers in your area.

I am very glad I pulled the trigger.... this is the only piece of equipment my whole family uses on a consistent basis and I now understand why I could never find it on Craigslist. I did apply for the Amazon credit card which let me pay this baby off over a year period of time at no interest...lessening the pain of writing a $900 check.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars This isn't just for athletes..., December 14, 2011
Michelle (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
This is more of a personal review about my quest (26, non-athlete looking for something long term to maintain good health). Most of the reviews here rave about this thing's sturdy build, proven excellent reputation, good customer service, and other facts that clearly set this machine apart from any other... so my review is more geared for regular people wondering whether they are going to have issues with motivation. Are you afraid this is going to end up sitting in your closet?

I was on the crew team in college, and while I loved rowing out on the water, I loathed these machines mostly because we were forced to train so hard on them. After my brief time on the team, I didn't touch these machines (or row) for 8 years. These machines can be something brutal and slavish, or they can be tools for gaining real physical and mental power in your life. Your relationship with the machine simply depends on how you use it!

Technique and good posture are KEY. They will ultimately make or break your desire to row. Rowing is a full body exercise that really comes alive through coordination and equal use and force distribution between all muscle groups, especially the breathing muscles. If you use the machine with improper technique, parts of your body will be overworked and you will always be battling a sort of premature fatigue, progress may feel difficult, and you won't want to row. With the right mechanics and coordination, you will experience: a meditative state of mind, a supremely more powerful and efficient stroke (it will feel like less effort), and of course meanwhile your body receives an excellent cardiovascular and strength training workout. To me, the feeling is similar to experiencing a breakthrough in yoga once you begin breathing properly. But really, don't take it from me, you can read plenty of articles by biomechanics/kinesiology professionals that explain these things in more detail. And why rowers are renown for having huge lung capacity (horse lungs!), low resting heart rates, and so forth. And it's very easy to watch videos to learn proper rowing technique.

There is no limit to how hard you can pull with this machine (Olympic athletes train on it!), which is why it tends to be so brutal for people: it is easy to push yourself too hard! What's really important to keep in mind is that you can row as little as you like, as slowly as you want. EVEN JUST 10 MINUTES A DAY IS BETTER THAN NOTHING! That is how good habits start: a little bit every day. The machine isn't going anywhere, it's paid for, and it isn't laughing at you for not doing more. Do more and go harder on days when you feel like it, but the key is doing at least a little each day, with proper technique. There is a log card that is inserted in the machine which records all your workouts. The times and meters really add up, and it is satisfying to see your progress!!

Ok last thing, which someone else already said: If worse comes to worse, and the machine just isn't for you, you can always sell it at nearly the same price you paid for. The machine lasts a long time, so it doesn't lose much value.

7 month UPDATE: Confession! When I wrote this review, I really didn't actually believe 10 minutes was a long enough workout, so I ended up pushing myself too hard, burning out, and having long lulls between rows. Finally I ignored my ego and just restricted myself to 10 minutes a day, and WOW. Now I consider my 10 minute row just as important a habit as brushing my teeth! My posture and overall energy and strength has improved vastly. How awesome is that?! You really don't need to kill yourself to be in shape!!

13 month update: I am now rowing 5k's regularly... a much longer distance than 10 mins worth of rowing. My intensity is very low-- that was the key: not pulling crazy hard. I row while I watch Netflix and just enjoy the ride. It still gets my target heart rate in just the right zone though and it is enough to maintain great postural muscle tone. All in all, this machine is the best investment I've made. Of course, the machine itself is still in excellent condition and I haven't needed to clean the chain yet or do any maintenance other than wipe the track clean.

15 month update: I finally got a copy of Row Daily, Breathe Deeper, Live Better: A Guide to Moderate Exercise and now I have been rowing over 5k every day, no days skipped, over the last 3 weeks... I can honestly say this book is a must-have if you become serious about wanting to develop the habit of exercising every single day. I LOVE rowing now and I don't see myself stopping this habit. So all in all, it has taken over a year for me, since I bought the machine, to get to the point of truly appreciating it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases for fitness you can make, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
I bought a Model D with the PM3 monitor in August, 2009. I have been overweight my entire life and in November of 2008 I finally decided to change my life. I started a new way of eating with Nutrisystem and I started exercising. I bought an elliptical and treadmill to join my stationary bike and started losing weight. As I slowly became more fit, I kept researching other things I could do to keep my interest in exercise going. I'd never seen an indoor rower, but read about them as being terrific exercise in various places. I started looking really hard at them when I realized just how great a workout they offered at a low impact. Concept 2 is considered the standard in rowing machines. I was very pleased with the price point as well. I'd already spent a lot of money on the treadmill and elliptical and didn't want to drop a lot more. One very nice thing about Concept 2 machines is that they hold their value very well. I couldn't find a used Model D in my area on Craigslist, but the Model C's and B's were still selling for great prices. That helped solidify my decision to purchase a Concept 2.

Ordering was easy. I got the PM3 monitor because I already have a polar watch/monitor and because it was slightly cheaper. I initially didn't get the polar receiver, but have since bought it as it is much easier to look at the monitor and see my HR than having to try and peer at my watch. I chose the Model D versus the Model E again because of price. The only difference between them (other than the Model E only comes with the PM4 monitor) is that the Model E sits up higher off the ground. I'm still pretty spry, so I didn't care about this. And I find that I have no problem sitting on the rower or getting off of it. It was delivered in one big box (but the whole thing is much, much lighter than most other fitness machines like my treadmill and elliptical which required common freight shipping). I opened the box, removed the 2 pieces, screwed in the 4 feet and was rowing within a half hour. Very, very easy to set up.

I really like the ability to track the distance and time that I row and trying to improve my times. The software that comes with it includes an online log book that you can upload your data to and even rank yourself compared to others in your class [male/female, age and weight (lightweight vs. heavyweight)]. The Concept 2 following is huge; there is a forum for people in the U.S. and a more active one for people in the U.K. There are several training programs developed by different people that you can follow. There is third party software that you can buy (limited versions ship with the rower for you to try) like RowPro where you can actually link online and race people from around the world! There are even indoor rowing championships/contests all over the U.S. using...what else? Concept 2 rowers, of course! Once you row 1,000,000 meters on your machine, the company will send you a t-shirt. There are also rewards for people rowing longer distances. There are contests as well. Right now, I am aiming to row >100,000 meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For everyone who does accomplish this, Concept 2 will donate a certain amount of money to one of 3 charities (you get to decide which one receives the donation for your part). What a great company!

I row while I watch TV; usually a sporting event (Pittsburgh Penguins hockey is my fave!) I have no trouble hearing the TV. I row a combination of intervals and longer distances. I've definitely seen improvements in my cardiovascular fitness. I still do a variety of exercise, including using my treadmill and my elliptical. Of all these activities, I think rowing wins hands down in terms of how effective a workout it is. I've enjoyed it so much that I bought a Model D for my dad to use at his house (and I can use it when I visit!). He is recovering from bypass surgery and started rowing in rehab. He really likes it too. I recommend using some sort of gloves for your hands; I've developed calluses where the bar is held, but I wear some weightlifting gloves while I row so I can keep a good hook on it (I sweat a lot). I bought the dust cover for it too as I have animals and lot's of dust in my house. If it is set up, you can put the dust cover on, but if it is taken apart the cover won't fit it. When it is taken apart, it takes up very little room. I just set it in a corner. Putting it back together is very easy, but I have learned to be careful as you can pinch your finger if you don't pay attention.

Overall, I think this is one of my best fitness purchases. It is a very solid machine and I know there are many people out there who have had their machine for many, many years. I can't see my much more complicated elliptical or treadmill lasting that long. It provides a fabulous workout and I love the ability to rank myself against other women in my age and weight class from around the world. I like seeing if I can improve my times. And I love the ability to break it apart and stick it in a corner when I have people over. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to get fit. I've lost over 100 pounds so far, feel great and look great. A priceless combination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for elite athletes, December 4, 2010
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
This review is coming from a dumpy middle-aged woman with a hip replacement who *thought* she was going to buy a treadmill. I started comparison shopping for treadmills even though spending $1000 or more on a machine instead of just going outside for a walk seemed kind of ridiculous, even in the snow. Then I ran across an article that mentioned rowing machines as the best overall piece of home exercise equipment. Some of my college dorm mates rowed on the women's 8 and it was like the light went on. The unanimous glowing reviews for the Concept2 Model D sold me on this machine and I ordered it direct from Concept2.

After about a month I can recommend rowing without reservation. The machine itself is built like a tank. It took about 20 minutes to put it together and about 2 minutes to figure out how to separate the parts for storage. It takes about 20 seconds to actually pull the machine apart and tuck it away in a corner when I'm not using it, which I do every day. Separated, it takes up the floor space of a medium-sized refrigerator. Together, it's about 9 feet long and a possible trip hazard. I use it on a carpeted floor and haven't noticed any problems with slipping and the machine doesn't need to be leveled. Gunk tends to accumulate on the rollers under the seat, which would probably go unnoticed if you don't pull the sled off and tip it up, but it's easy to clean.

I spent the first week focusing on correct technique and not killing myself. The machine comes with two booklets, a memory card, and a bottle of chain oil. The Indoor Rowing booklet has a lot of good information on proper form and suggested workouts starting from your very first day. There are also videos and active user forums on the Concept2 website. I've been following the suggestions, started slowly, set the damper at 3 and have left it there. Most nights I row from 25 to 40 minutes followed by stretching (recommended: AM/PM Stretch with Madeleine Lewis or AM Yoga for Your Week with Rodney Yee). I spent a lot of time on form and kept my stroke rate at about 18-19 spm. Slow, right? But I don't get sloppy and as I get stronger it seems that upping the stroke rate doesn't really improve my performance all that much. Before I started rowing, the morning routine was to get out of bed with cramping in my thigh and buttocks that nearly put me in tears. No joke: this disappeared overnight as soon as I started rowing. I felt a little soreness, mostly in my upper back, but zero lower back pain and no cramping AT ALL. One week of this was worth the $900.

The rowing machine puts you in total control of your workout in terms of how hard and how fast you want to work, and doesn't require you to do anything other than row harder or faster - there's no incline or speed buttons to push like with a treadmill. The rowing motion feels quite natural to me and time slides by. I actually look forward to my rowing time, and even though I'm still just getting started there is nothing about this that makes me feel like I won't be looking forward to my rowing time any less by next year. Plus, I expect by then I will be getting a lot more competitive about upping my pace. Update: Concept2 has a 100,000m between Thanksgiving and Christmas challenge. UPS delivered the Monday after Thanksgiving and without even trying I'm within 15K with 4 days to go. That's how cool rowing is.

If you're on the fence about which home exercise machine to buy, do yourself a favor and buy a rowing machine. Do yourself an additional favor and buy a Concept2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aging oarsman loves it, June 6, 2009
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
45 years ago I rowed with the University of Washington crew. I stopped rowing in 1970 and only this last January I discovered a Concept 2 rower at our recreation center. I climbed on and thought, I'll just row a couple of thousand meters. I made it to 800 before becoming winded, struggled on to 1200 meters and gave it up. Five months later I routinely row 8 to 10 thousand meter workouts, am losing weight, and seeing something I have not seen for years; muscle definition in arms and legs. I have rowed almost 300,000 meters and have a goal of 1,000,000 meters this year. This machine is amazing. It feels like being on the water. The action is smooth, and the monitor keeps the user updated on pace, distance rowed, power generated by each stroke, and how power is being applied throughout the stroke. I wish I had had one of these when I was in college, but discovering it at age 65 has benefits as well.

The machine is built for heavy use by rowing or health clubs and I believe will last an individual a lifetime. The company supplies free instructional videos, motivational challenges, and online tracking of your progress, I would strongly suggest finding one of these machines near you and trying it out before you buy. No Concept 2 machine is manufactured to gather dust in a garage or attic!

UPDATE: OK, I'm a few years down the road, well past 3 million meters (2000 miles) on the rower. I'm 2/3 of the way from my home to the Equator. No problems with the rower, but am looking for a good seat cushion. After that many miles the seat gets really hard!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best single piece of exercise equipment one can own, July 24, 2010
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
Indoor rowing is perhaps the best cardiovascular/toning exercise one can do. This is the defacto machine for doing it as most crew teams around the world, and other training programs use Concept 2 rowers exclusively.

It does not matter if you are an elite athlete, or someone just starting out, or even someone who cannot do high impact exercises like running. This is low impact, and as intense as you want it. Almost all muscles in your body are used as well. So by using this machine you get a great cardio work out and total body motion. Honestly, there is nobody I would not recommend this to, it is for all levels.

The computer keeps track of your work, and you can keep your pace at whatever you feel comfortable with. In time you will see that your split times are going down as your fitness improves. It keeps a log of your workouts and also stores it on a card that you can bring to other machines. The great thing is that these machines all automatically calibrate, so your time on any one machine is valid everywhere because they all yield the same results.

The company is great, this is made in USA and of very good quality. I used to row on a team, and none of our machines ever broke. Even if it does break, the company is very responsive and friendly. They have a very good website where you can log your times, and see how you stack up with others, or just keep a record for yourself. They have contests all the time there where they select random people that row certain distances and give them free gear. Also if you row a million meters on your machine or a marathon they give you free gear as well. All of this is free!

The most important thing to learn is proper form, otherwise you will tire out fast. The biggest mistake beginners make is using their arms too much and not enough legs. Concept 2 has a lot of videos that show you proper rowing technique and the good thing is it pretty much directly translates to what one would do on a real boat!

At my gym these things sit there collecting dust while people do the inferior treadmills etc, but everyone I know that I have introduced to rowing loves it. It is good to have one at home because it is very possible to watch TV while you are rowing (it is not loud). The machine also disassembles and can be stored pretty easily. If you stand it up fully assembled it is nearly 8ft tall so it is not very storable that way, but if you take the sled off, you can store it even in a coat closet.

EDIT: Normally I would never recommend to buy exercise equipment new due to the fact that most people buy the gear, never use it, and sell it cheap. You would be hard pressed to find this machine selling for much less used than the new price which is a testament to how much people value this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Terrible Shipping, March 16, 2009
Erik Mazzone (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
I love my Concept 2, it is a great rower. I heartily give this product a 5 star review. I would not extend that rating to the shipping from Amazon, however.

The rower arrived on time but one piece (the plastic arm that holds the connects the monitor to the rower) was snapped in half. After reading the reviews here and seeing that at least one other person had the same experience in ordering from Amazon, I believe that somewhere in Amazon's supply chain they are handling these boxes (which are marked "fragile") improperly. The extensive styrofoam inserts in the box designed to cushion the machine were broken as well. It must have taken no small amount of force to accomplish that.

The story has a happy ending though. I was truly dreading having to send this back to Amazon, and my one limited experience with Amazon's customer support was not promising. However, I contacted Concept 2 directly, and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with. They explained to me how to remove the broken piece (which turned out to be extremely easy)and they shipped a new piece via UPS that same afternoon, no questions asked.

Concept 2 was fantastic and the machine is great, and I would strongly recommend the product to anyone thinking about purchasing a rowing machine. The only thing I would do differently is I would buy the machine directly from Concept 2 rather than Amazon.

Generally, I love Amazon, I use Amazon Prime, and I purchase everything I can through them. I have never been disappointed before by Amazon, though I have never had anything this large delivered by them, either. The damage combined with the poor experience with customer support leads me to summarize the transaction:

Buy this rower, but buy it direct from Concept 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars If there is one piece of exercise equipment to own, this is it, February 21, 2009
Joe V (Middleton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine (Sports)
My family works out at a CrossFit gym regularly, so there was really no need for us to get this rower, except to supplement our training. We use it mostly for sprints (500m to 2000m) to work on building power, though I have been known to row a 5000m every now and then to work on technique and pacing for longer distances.

Every time my 8 year old son wants to play video games, I tell him that he has to row 1000m first. It's great watching his times go down and seeing the pride in his face as he huffs and puffs and says, "Dad, I just rowed a PR (personal record)!" Although there is a data card that tracks this info, we also keep a separate training log that we can look at anywhere. He's knocking so much time off the 1000m that soon I'm going to have to up the ante to 2000m to offset the video game time.

The Concept2 Rower is a solid, solid piece of equipment. One of my CrossFit coaches was not lying when she said that if there is one piece of equipment to own at home, it was this.

Rate and Discover Movies