Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on June 29, 2007
I spent hours at the local bookstore browsing through the "Pregnancy and Childcare" section, and this is the book I chose. Dr. Miriam Stoppard thoughtfully educates new parents-to-be with unbiased information and illustrations. Other books seemed to be either too clinical or trying too hard to be "down to earth" or "real". I appreciate their efforts, but I can find that kind of information online or check it out from the library for a quick read. This is a fascinating book that covers everything from genetic counseling to sex after delivery and will be an invaluable guide for anyone interested in learning more about childbirth.
on October 28, 2011
My husband and I always take a few books with us when we go on vacation, and this was one of the books we bought to take with us last week.

First of all, if you've looked at the sample pages on Amazon, I think they are from a previous edition. The current edition looks much more modern. The page numbers are on the sides of the pages, integrated into colored tabs that separate different sections. There are many full page photos, plus smaller photos, charts, and tables of information. Often there are photos or diagrams to demonstrate different things (like, photos of how to do pregnancy exercises, or diagrams of what happens when a baby is born, etc.) Most pages have pictures.

One thing that I kind of like is, a lot of the pages have side columns about different topics on both sides of two facing pages. The topics are frequently coordinating, like "How drugs affect you" and "How drugs affect your baby," or "Why you have scans" and "Why your baby needs scans."

The main sections are:
Preparing for pregnancy; You and your developing baby; Preparing for fatherhood; The birth of your choice; Food and eating in pregnancy; A healthy pregnancy; Your prenatal care; Caring for your unborn baby; Complaints in pregnancy; Emergencies in pregnancy; A sensual pregnancy; Getting ready for your baby; Managing your labor; Special deliveries; Getting to know your newborn baby; Adjusting to parenthood. Each section has about a dozen subtopics.

One of the reasons we chose this book is because my husband and I already have some ideas and expectations for my pregnancy--for instance, we believe a Weston A. Price foundation type diet (high fat and nutrient dense foods, avoiding processed foods) is best. Books that strongly advocate low-fat diets automatically lose credibility for us. This book encourages moms to eat fresh food that is as close to its original state as possible. It encourages purchase of free-range or organic foods, so it seems to be pretty sound advice. We also plan to probably have a home birth with a midwife, and many books are really into hospital intervention. This book is not particularly directed to the natural birth crowd, but it is pretty well-rounded when detailing different options.

I also have the What to Expect When You're Expecting book, and this book is totally different than that. This is more of a guide that you use when you're interested in specific topics. It does not provide extremely detailed information about each week of pregnancy (it covers pregnancy in blocks of 4-6 weeks at a time). My husband and I did read a lot of this in the car, just jumping around to different sections that we were interested in, but it isn't the kind of book that most people will read from front to back. Instead I will look topics up when they interest me. For right now, we're interested in the pregnancy chapters, and testing, and nutrition, and those sorts of things. Later we will want to read about preparing for Baby, what to expect in labor, etc. When different things come up (particular pregnancy symptoms), I will return to this book for those things, too. This book has a lot of illustrated instructions (how to breastfeed, how to change a diaper, etc) so those are nice.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is pregnant or planning to conceive. It is a beautiful book, and a great resource. It's so pretty that it would make a great gift to someone who is pregnant.
on March 31, 2009
Although, I do like this book since it has a lot of great information, I wish it was more elaborate. Along with information on conception, pregnancy and birth, this book provides quality photos and illustrations. I bought this book along with Heidi Murkoff's, "What to Expect When You're Expecting: 4th Edition". Murkoff's book details each month of pregnancy down to each week. Miriam Stoppard's book does not, however, she does give an overview of each month.

This book has information on conception, pregnancy, labor and delivery, and how to care for the baby after they're born.

I definitely recommend this book along with Heidi Murkoff's WTEWYE: 4th Edition.
on October 7, 2009
Detailed descriptions all the way through, plenty of pictures too! Walks through the developmental process for the birth process! I have four kids, this book has been with us through all of them. we have had many others but this is by far the best. find the newe one with the white cover if you can, it has better pictures.
on December 28, 2011
I don't have childern and to be honest, i am a little worried and don't know what to expect during pregnancy this book covers everything that i need and want to know. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive and this book is very informative. The book shows you monthly exercises and it also explains what is happening to you and the baby month by month. If you are looking a book that tells you what is happening to you and the baby month by month then this is the book.
on January 27, 2010
I am a first time mom-to-be and this book was recommended to me. It is informative with helpful pictures that aren't gross. There are only a few sections that really get into all the problems that can occur during pregnancy, but it is presented in an informative kind of way, not a scary "I never want to get pregnant" kind of way. I have read cover-to-cover before conception and will probably keep it on hand to answer questions on a week-to-week basis during pregnancy.
on April 24, 2012
I got this book when we were trying to conceive and read most of it then just to get an idea of what pregnancy would put my body through. I quickly became pregnant and it has become a resource that I've gone back to numerous times for reference. One of the things I like about this book is the coverage of some slightly unusual situation. A friend gave me a popular pregnancy book but I like this one MUCH better!
on January 3, 2012
I have bought several books to get reading material during my pregnancy and one of those is the spanish version of this book by Dr. Stoppard which my husband and i find "excellent"!
It has tons of simple, clear and full information, great pics, charts and tips.
I think that this as well as "What to expect when you are expecting" are possibly the best ones avaliable.
on March 22, 2012
Even though this is an older print, the book is still brand new. The content is also pretty much the same compared to the latest print, and I am very happy with my purchase. Thank you!
on September 10, 2011
Excellent reference book both for future moms and grandmoms. Easy to read. Good refresher for future grandmoms. I bought the book for my daughter and her husband and for myself.