Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 24, 1999
I have used this book for the past 3 years in an undergraduate database design course. The book addresses the major issues associated with database design without obscuring topics with a lot of the underlying math/relational algebra details. The book serves well as a backdrop for the course material. Its use of MS Access for examples works well for the typical database designer/user. 'Hardcore' database students/professors/developers would probably want a more detailed treatment of the subject.
on September 5, 2007

If you need a book for certification, this isn't it....it is so much more than that.

This was the consensus choice of the faculty for the database foundations class when I taught information systems at university.

Of late, when I interview entry level database developers, I can tell whether or not they used this book or a recent version when they started to study database design. If they did not, they lack a comprehensive knowledge of the field. Those with the various certifications know enough about their specific application, but frequently, they can't figure out problems that haven't been covered by the certification training. Their conceptual knowledge rarely expands beyond their chosen application.

If you want a solid conceptual foundation of database design...this is your book.
on February 21, 2012
The book is fairly decent and to the point about management of databases, but the Kindle version of this book has such impossible to read low-res images of the database tables that it can get infuriatingly frustrating at times.
on January 4, 2009
I used this book as a text for my Database Systems course. It's well written in plain English and easy to understand as opposed to many of the textbooks that I've used thus far. It uses easy to grasp examples, and helped me to understand concepts that were previously elusive to me from when I first tried to learn database as an undergrad student. A great book for someone trying to understand the fundamentals of database operation.
on May 15, 2008
This is an excellent book so far. I taught myself by reading it and the book
was very readable. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get familiar
with database systems. I think it is a top notch book even for a beginner because I get A+ as a final grade for my course Database Systems.
on March 24, 2014
Purchased for a Database Management course. I'm halfway through the course and the book seems to have good examples and breakdowns of the concepts. There is a free link to access the databases mentioned and their corresponding files to make assignments easier to complete and make it easier to try the steps yourself.
on February 19, 2013
Digital books are super handy, but maybe not for this textbook. The real book isn't very big, but this one has page numbers in the thousands (muliple "pages" per page), which made it difficult to track where you were, especially when real page numbers are referenced in class. Also, the textbook doesn't really give good descriptions on how to do things - you have to depend on the graphics, which were also not very good. I tried expanding them, which would have been an awesome feature had the graphics been higher quality, but the graphics were of such poor quality that expanding them just made them blurry. That's a big disadvantage. I don't mind some digital textbooks, but this is definitely is not one of them. Should have bought the real thing.
on October 9, 2013
This is an introductory database book, which is very clearly written and gives good examples. It could provide a good brush-up for experienced database people, and provides an excellent introduction for novices. It does not assume you have any prior database background.
on July 16, 2014
I had to order this book for my CSIS 1050 class, and it was NOT easy to understand at all. I am spending a lot of time using Google to find websites/people who explain everything a lot better. Between spending more time on good and keeping my teacher late after class, I am starting to learn, but this book is not helping one bit. Maybe if you knew Access already you can get by using this book, but for someone who has only had one, maybe two, lessons with Access it is a bad choice.

Key:
Hard to read.
Explanations are not clear.
No answers in the back of the book to try to get help that way.
on June 27, 2013
this was required along with A guide to SQL in my DB class. It however was literally word for word a reprint of that book in some areas but this book left out some of the concepts that are in the other book and this one overly relies on Access. Access, ick!