5.0 out of 5 stars genetics companion
This book was my shortcut to buying the newest edition, so t saved me money. I liked the book, better in some cases than the new edition, but not some much so some of the updated new research, the new book went more in depth on. But this book worked, I enjoyed reading it very much
Published 14 months ago by Amanda Spuzzillo

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written
Published on January 28, 2011 by Dan5280

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
This has to be the most poorly written text book I've ever used. My biggest frustration is reading about key concepts (in bold) that are left undefined while continuing to discuss the topic in some abstract way. Some of the glossary terms are poorly defined as well, where 20 seconds with google gives correct, succinct answers. As a Pre-Med student, I've seen my share of biology text books. I've never been so frustrated trying to learn concepts that, quite frankly, aren't that complicated. As a side note, the student handbook is just as poorly written.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book needs a lot of work :-(, November 27, 2009
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
I had to use this book (9th edition) for my genetics class. It's an interesting an easy read but does not cover the mathematics behind genetics very well. If you are looking for the "big picture," then this text will probably help. However, if you need a text to help you understand the specifics and math behind genetics problems, then search elsewhere. Like some of the other reviewers have mentioned, the web site is totally useless, and this book is going to need a lot of editing before it is up to par with other genetics texts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy new, February 9, 2009
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
I bought this book new after hearing about the included web page. One of my classes in the previous semester had a similar set-up, and I found it very useful. However, this webpage is a rip-off. The flash cards and the glossary functions don't work, making the website pretty much useless. The book is also riddled with typos and poor formatting. If you need it for a class, buy it used, but if you don't, don't buy it at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
I used this book for an introductory genetics class. It's not bad, per se. I even enjoyed some of the extra articles of interest that they put in as an excuse for making new editions. But there are other texts that get the concepts across so much better. In particular, I'd recommend the genetics textbook by Robert J. Booker for its superior illustrations (yes, they matter) and clear writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars solid info but needs editing, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
The information in this book was correct however it was not in depth enough to even be a good reference for my intro genetics class. I was disappointed with several aspects of this book. I noticed several spelling errors and errors in agreement (eg. is where are is appropriate). The stylistics were primary at best. Each section it seemed began with --to paraphrase-- "in this section you will learn about" and ended with "in the next section you will learn about." This style of writing is like that of a grade school student and makes the read boring. The captions referenced in the text were often not on the same or adjacent page making it a pain to try to look at them while reading. Frequent notes of topics covered in other chapters and unimportant historical anecdotes also made this book a clumsy read and an unhelpful reference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
This book was assigned for my genetics class. One of the worst textbooks I've used. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the manner in which it is written is confusing. I have a very hard time learning anything from this book. Definitions are not clear. It doesn't clearly explain concepts.

My advice is even if your teacher assigns this book for class, skip it, learn the material on your own from somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars genetics companion, August 6, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this book, October 9, 2012
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
Before reviewing this book, I apologize for any mistake I may commit while writing in english, as I am brazillian. I'm striving to doing so in order to make my review more accessible to everyone. Thank you for your comprehension.

Now on to the review: I purchased this book because it was considerably cheaper than other books about Genetics and while overviewing it before buying, I liked its overall presentation and wide range of topics covered. Huge mistake. The topics covered aren't well organized and the content is poorly written and confusing. While it does cover many topics in genetics, it lacks depht, what leaves the reader wishing for more detailed explanations and strongly dependent to other sources to assimilate the information. It seems that the authors were trying to shrink the information to make this book more succinct but as a result many complex concepts turned out to be uninteligible. As if it was not enough, there are some misleading illustrations that contradicts what is written in its explanation, I'm not kidding. One example is the figure 6-9 in chapter 6.

I gave up studying from this book and began to search other ones and found much better choices. Some of them are:

1 - Robert Brooker's Genetics: Analysis and Principles. An unbelieveable good resource for learning Genetics with very detailed and very well written information plus unmatched quality illustrations. I was really impressed with it. Too bad there's no translation to brazillian portuguese yet, but certainly a keeper.

2- Benjamin Pierce's Genetics: A conceptual approach. That one is what "Concepts Of Genetics" tried to be and failed. It's concise and written in a friendly manner, but in a inteligible way and the illustrations are way more helpful than the ones found in this book, and it is overall much better organized. Learning new concepts and recalling concepts already learned was
far easier than doing so from this book here.

3- The classic Griffiths' Introduction to genetic analysis. That one is not so reader-friendly but at least it is more detailed and explains the contents with more clarity than this one, because while Griffiths is sometimes way too eloquent in the writting style, at least it makes sure the topics are not covered in a vague and superficial fashion.

In other words, skip this one. This book longs to be succinct, but ends up being extremely vague.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intro Genetics, January 4, 2009
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
Book was good for reviewing notes from class, but wouldn't suggest it if you are not taking a class along side it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, March 8, 2013
This review is from: Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) (Hardcover)
This is a really good genetics book. I would definitely recommend the handbook to go along with it to help with solving problems.

Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition)
Concepts of Genetics (9th Edition) by Michael R. Cummings (Hardcover - February 16, 2008)
Used & New from: $3.86