5.0 out of 5 stars George!
The concert event had the chance to be sappy and morose. Thank God, it isn't. Instead, it's a lot of George's friends covering his songs, having fun doing it, and otherwise doing what they've always been doing.
Summary: Great guests, superior musicianship. Buy This DVD. Now.
Published on March 20, 2004 by tonyfromky

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I expected
I bought this disc blindly,on the rewiews given on the website. It's ok
Published 29 days ago by Michael A. Mccormick

5.0 out of 5 stars George!, March 20, 2004
tonyfromky (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
Summary: Great guests, superior musicianship. Buy This DVD. Now.
The show opens with a few words from Clapton, who introduces Ravi Shankar and his daughter. They play a fair amount of Indian music. It's pretty good, I have to admit, though not my cup of tea. One word - Ravi Shankar's daughter is quite the sitar player... She plays a piece and violates at least 2 rules of physics. Amazing.
Then the Western band forms up. They play a number of songs, with luminaries being introduces and added to the band over the course of the evening.
Highlights, in no particular order:
1) Ringo :-) During "Honey Don't" Look for Albert Lee. His solo is blistering though short.
2a) Clapton on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
2b) Clapton having the class to not play all the solos thereby making it the "Eric Clapton Show." Instead most of the real guitar work is being done by someone I don't know. I think it's Clapton's long-time guitarist. My son and I call him "THE Guy".
2c) Clapton in general
3) Watch Tom Petty's guitar player get OWNED by George on "Taxman". Tom does this song kinda weird, it's probably the weakest track.
4) Sam Brown. What a voice!
5) Waa Waa. Amazing.
6) Something by Paul, via uke.
7) Ravi's daughter and her sitar. Your eyebrows will fly up!
8) Dhani has George's spooky eyebrow thing going on.
9) Jeff Lynne is there, and takes an active part doing what he does best. Bob Dylan is notably absent.
Every track is worthwhile and many are superb. And while a lot of similar productions are muddy and horrid, this isn't. Eric is running the show, and keeps it moving and clean.
The only dings I give this production are
1) The "behind the scenes" footage is too sparse. I know there had to me more...
2) The band isn't introduced well enough. I expected a close up of every performer, with a hello, and a name. See 2b) above.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overwhelming Experience, October 14, 2003
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
Worlds beyond the usual concert film, this is a deeply emotional experience for those lucky enough to have had George's music woven into their lives. A perfect balance of joy, laughter and loss, a delicate and perfect balance of rock, pop, blues, comedy, classical Eastern raga and ukelele. Contrary to most tribute and hall of fame concerts finding dozens of dinosaurs falling all over each other in sloppy camaraderie and faulty beats, this assembly under Eric Clapton's direction give specific, tight, heartfelt and soaring performances of exceptional grandeur... so obviously trying to do their best for George that it tears your heart out at points. Clapton's work is both grief stricken and exhilarating, McCartney's sadness renders him unusually subdued and appealing, Anoushka Shankar's performance is absolutely transcendant, and Sam Brown's rockin' rendition of "Horse to Water" is a killer, a real treat. This film is, to put it simply, an exquisite and overwhelming experience. Thank you George. And George, just so you'll know... there wasn't a dry eye in the theater...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just saw the theatrical release, October 3, 2003
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
Wow!!!! I don't know how anyone can sit through this with a dry eye!! Stunning, heartfelt performances by George's buddies. Jeff Lynne's sound mix was awesome!! The interviews with Eric, Tom Petty and others really shed light on the love for the man we all miss. George created the original benefit concert and it is only fitting that everyone came together on the anniversary of his death to pay tribute. Now I will wait patiently until the DVD release in November.
Long live George!

5.0 out of 5 stars Concert for George - unforgettable classic, October 9, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
Having had the privilege of seeing the actual concert featuring Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Joe Brown, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Dhani Harrison, Billy Preston, Jules Holland acccompanying Sammy Brown in George's last release before his death- a blow-you-away performance of "Horse to Water - an unexpected treat, MOnty Python (with Tom Hanks featured), Ravi Shankar and his amazing daughter Anoushka as well as the film, I can tell you that both are uniquely enjoyable. The DVD will give the advantage of providing both, one on each disc.Do see it in the theater if you can, for that big-screen, being-there effect, but try to catch it in a theater with decent sound! I saw it in two theaters, one with surround (sounded fabulously realistic) and one with a sytem pathetically inadequate to the subject. The film and DVD were mastered by muscican/producer extraordinaire Jeff Lynne, who pays great attention to detail to produce perfect sound, so if you saw it in a less-than-wonderful theater, know that the DVD will sound fantastic on a decent system. Also, while the film wonderfully interjects short interviews and scenes from rehearsals, etc., which are quite enjoyable, know that the actual concert is longer and you can see it in its totality on the second disc.
It will surely touch your heart - lots of love projected - and DO stay for the end credits for something you won't want to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best concerts ever -- great tribute!, January 18, 2005
moviemusicbuff (Walnut, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
I am an avid Beatles fan and I was just blown away by the concert.

A. The Performances

Great musicians and friends/collaborators of George: Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, etc. do an outstanding job and everyone of them put their heart and soul into the songs of George Harrison and make them come alive. It is eerie, but when you listen to Clapton singing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," Paul McCartney singing "All Things Must Pass," or Billy Preston singing "My Sweet Lord," you could sense the presence of George as they're singing! Their renditions of Harrison's songs were just as masterful as George singing them. Those 3 songs stood out to me.

Some other musical highlights:

1) Ringo Starr's touching rendition of "Photograph" (the words take on a completely new meaning in this tribute) and "Honey Don't."

2) Anoushka Shankar's beautiful sitar playing accompanying Jeff Lynne's rendition of "The Inner Light."

3) Joe Brown's tender covers of "Here Comes the Sun" and "I'll See You in My Dreams."

4) Dhani Harrison's acknowledgement and thanks to all the musicians playing.

5) Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing together for the 1st time live in over 40 years!!! And they seem to be having a good time!

6) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and their exciting performance of "Taxman" and spot-on re-endition of "I Need You."

7) Billy Preston's enthusiastic singing of "My Sweet Lord"

8) The funny song "Lumberjack" by Monty Python which really lightened up the crowd and the occasion.

B. The Editing

I also liked how the DVD focussed its shots mostly on the musicians performing the songs, rather than panning to the audience and then back to the musicians. (This back and forth between the musicians and then the audience is a very annoying feature which plagues the Paul McCartney "live" DVDs).

C. The Unique Layout of the Discs

This movie is organized in an interesting fashion:

Disc 1 features the whole complete concert ( 2 hr 26 min) -- you cannot do any chapter or song selections.

Disc 2 is the theatrical version (2 hr 20 min) -- these are songs from the concert rearranged in order and backstage/ rehearsal scenes/ interviews of the musicians are interspersed within the songs. You can do scene / chapter selection for Disc 2.

D. Some Reservations

Even though the "Lumberjack" song was very funny and lightened up the occasion, I didn't care for the song "Sit on My Face" or the mooning of the audience when the Python members bared their rear-ends to the audience. I felt this dampened the whole respectability and dignity of the whole concert.

Summary:

That aside, I highly recommend this DVD. The performances are outstanding; the picture and sound quality are excellent.
If you're a Beatles fan and a fan of George, you'll love this DVD! A must-have! One of the best concert DVDs you can get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 19, 2003
edro (Safety Harbor) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
Absolutely the best concert film you'll ever see. Watching the musicians give their best makes you understand the love they had for George. Somewhere in the interviews someone says they rehearsed three weeks for this concert...I don't know of any other man, politician, president, or athlete that their friends would put aside three weeks to pay tribute. Absolutely a stunning performance on DVD... I too dreaded the Indian music segment (having seen George on tour in the 1970's) ... that is before I saw it ... absolutely some of the most touching powerful music I have ever heard and I have been a player and listener for a long time. Thanks Ravi - we should all be lucky enough to have a friend compose such a beautiful musical work for us. Someone needs to get an award for this DVD!!!! Now everyone go buy a ukelele and keep George in your heart.... a great artist and man. Watching the interaction between Dhani and the other musicians, should father George be watching down... he can feel confident that his son will be guided through life by his loving friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best rock concert ever done., March 7, 2004
Edward Crawford "Beatles Fan" (Randolph, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
This definitely ranks up there with Live Aid, Concert for NYC, and others. In a lot of ways, this surpasses them. The photography and lighting are beautiful. The Indian piece sets a nice spiritual beginning. The songs gave me an insight into why George loved Indian music so much.
The musicians were outstanding. Eric Clapton was excellent as musical director/participant. His vocals and guitar playing were in top form. Jeff Lynne did well on the Travelling Willburys and solo George material. Tom Petty singing Taxman and I need You was perfect. Those songs fit his range so well. Billy Preston singing My Sweet Lord gave it a nice gospel feel to it. Ringo did very well singing Photograph and Honey Don't. While some feel these songs were out of place, George co wrote the first one with Ringo and did love Carl Perkins. It should be noted when Carl Perkins (who also died of cancer in 1998) passed away, George sang at his funeral. Some people have stated Paul was trying to "steal the show". I don't know if they saw the same concert that I did. Paul did excellent on For You Blue and All Things Must Pass. He also did great on sharing vocals on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and blending into Eric Clapton's part on Something. You could tell the grief and celebration was in all performers.
This is a concert to get for anyone who loves George, the Beatles, or music in general. I can't add any more praise to this DVD. I suspect when historians are debating the best concert/DVD of 2000-2010; this will be at the top of the list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add This To Your Must-Own List!, December 30, 2003
Raymar "Ray M." (Gretna, La. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
I inadvertently came across this DVD package while browsing Amazon and I decided to order it. What an unexpected gift from above! Truly the spirit of George Harrison permeates this incredible concert. I have to say up front that I am an original Beatles freak who grew up with their music and who knows every note of every song in the minutest of detail (yes, I am also a musician of some 37 years). Therefore, I always enter these "concerts" with tremendous expectation if not trepidation at what havoc an assortment of heavy-handed musicians can wreak upon the subtle genius of the Beatles (and George's) collective works.
Alas, my fears quickly evaporated upon hearing the first song as played by Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne and band. One of my all-time favorites, "I Want To Tell You", was given just the exact amount of delicacy mixed with driving rock spirit (I know that sounds like an odd juxtaposition, but that's how George's genius works), that I was in pure musical ecstacy which did not abate until the DVD ended. Every single performer from Clapton to Billy Preston to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to Paul McCartney (yep, he's there, too), played and sang every note with love, enthusiasm, and emotion as if they were trying to pass a heavenly audition being overseen by Harrison himself. Paul's version of "Something", which starts out as a solo on ukelele then morphs into the full band/orchestra version we've come to know and love, could raise goose bumps on a cadaver. Yet, none of it ever seems phony, contrived or overwrought. There is also a portion of the concert that features an incredible composition by Ravi Shankar and an even more incredible performance by his daughter, Anoushka on sitar.
I could obviously go on and on about this spectacular DVD, about how great the audio and video quality of the package is, about how moving each performance is (tears came to my eyes more than once, especially when you see George's son, Dhani, onstage playing guitar and looking like an exact clone of his Dad) but I'll leave it at this: if you're a Beatles/George Harrison fan, do not hesitate. Heck, if you just like great music and wonderful artistry, don't hesitate. Buy this DVD and don't forget the kleenex. Like the other reviews have said: you'll watch it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, March 23, 2011
If you've already seen Concert for George on dvd, the blu-ray does not have much additional material. But it does have improved picture and DTS HD Master sound. The sound alone was worth the purchase for me. The performances are all inspired, the mix fantastic, and the songs are arranged to truly honor their friend, George Harrison. It is as inspiring as it is moving, and just a touch surreal, with Dhani Harrison, looking incredibly like his father as a young man, in the center of the stage for so much of the show. The reverence with which the musicians treat the material is humbling and entirely appropriate. There really isn't a weak song or moment. The show continually builds from beginning to end, and it is very easy to connect with the obvious inspiration and love emanating from each musician. If you like the music of George Harrison, or you like any of the musicians playing in this concert, you will love Concert for George. It is simply beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Concert For George, December 31, 2003
This review is from: Concert for George (DVD)
I must admit that I was not looking forward to the release of this DVD. The sadness I felt (and still honestly feel) about the death of George Harrison made me hesitate to watch this tribute to his life and music. It was not that I thought the performers or intent would be insincere. It was that the whole concert would be a painful reminder of Harrison's passing.
I found after Ravi Shankar's 'Arpan', that the rest of the concert was a breeze to get through, until Joe Brown's rendition of 'I'll See You In My Dreams'.
For those that are not familiar with classical Indian music, and that which was such a passion in George's life, Shankar's 'Arpan' may impress with its arrangement and technical precision and playing. But for those who do understand classical Indian's meanings and intents, 'Arpan' is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard anyone compose for anyone. Classical Indian music is a conversation. A dialogue about life, death, God, and all within. 'Arpan' encapsulates everything Ravi Shankar felt about George Harrison. There are moments of celebration and joy, great grief and sadness, and throughout there is the mutual respect they had for eachother spoken in the music. The instruments tell about the life of George Harrison and what he meant to Ravi Shankar. For me, this is the part of the concert I have a very hard time watching. It moves me to tears. And I have to honestly say, the rest of the concert was easy and light compared to the first section of the show. Anoushka Shankar's rendition of 'Your Eyes' was also a major highlight. But appreciation of Indian music is fundamental in understanding the love that is expressed for George in these two songs.
For me, the star performers were Billy Preston, Ringo Starr, Monty Python and the host of the show, Eric Clapton. The professional and social relationships they had with George really shine through in their performances of his songs (mainly from his Beatles career and 'All Things Must Pass'), and my opinion of Eric Clapton shot up about 80% after watching this concert. He handled everything gracefully and with dignity, considering Harrison and Clapton's history, the obvious love he has for George makes him literally the star of the Western portion of this concert. He never overplays, he sings George's songs with great passion and consideration for their words. I could not find one single thing that marred Clapton's performance in this show. Not one thing. His shared vocal with Billy Preston on 'Isn't It A Pity' is one of the best moments of the show.
Ringo has always been with George. The two were practically inseparable in their solo careers. 'Photograph' takes on much more meaning in this rendition of it, and I'm sure Ringo found (and maybe still finds) this song a little hard to sing now.
All of the people on stage really knew George, and I find the exception is Paul McCartney. He may have knew him in The Beatles, but George the solo artist and man I don't think Paul knew at all. It is why I do find a slightly humourous irony that Paul plays piano on 'Wah Wah', and may not be familiar at all with who the song was about. And this may displease some, but I honestly did not like Paul's ukelele version of 'Something'. It made the song sound like a 'ditty'. It's not a ditty. It's one of the most beautiful contemporary songs ever written about being in love, and that its subject matter is as much about God as it may have been about Pattie Harrison does not lessen its power and impact. When Clapton (and band) play this song in its original format, I forget all about the ukelele version that opened it. Paul's rendition of 'All Things Must Pass' is much better. There's a slight sadness in the fact that he was unfamiliar with the song (even though he felt strongly enough 30 years ago to help reject it from the Beatles song catalogue).
A worthy purchase, and if this does one thing for all those who just wanted to see Ringo & Paul perform together again, is that George Harrison is one of the most underrated musicians of his time. The concert barely skims the surface of how much great music that was written with heart & soul by Harrison there is. If this show gets people interested to hear what else Harrison had to say, it'd be a long time coming.

Concert for George
Concert for George by Andy Fairweather-Low (DVD - 2003)
Used & New from: $89.99