Other Sellers on Amazon
Concert for George [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Summary: Great guests, superior musicianship. Buy This DVD. Now.
The show opens with a few words from Clapton, who introduces Ravi Shankar and his daughter. They play a fair amount of Indian music. It's pretty good, I have to admit, though not my cup of tea. One word - Ravi Shankar's daughter is quite the sitar player... She plays a piece and violates at least 2 rules of physics. Amazing.
Then the Western band forms up. They play a number of songs, with luminaries being introduces and added to the band over the course of the evening.
Highlights, in no particular order:
1) Ringo :-) During "Honey Don't" Look for Albert Lee. His solo is blistering though short.
2a) Clapton on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
2b) Clapton having the class to not play all the solos thereby making it the "Eric Clapton Show." Instead most of the real guitar work is being done by someone I don't know. I think it's Clapton's long-time guitarist. My son and I call him "THE Guy".
2c) Clapton in general
3) Watch Tom Petty's guitar player get OWNED by George on "Taxman". Tom does this song kinda weird, it's probably the weakest track.
4) Sam Brown. What a voice!
5) Waa Waa. Amazing.
6) Something by Paul, via uke.
7) Ravi's daughter and her sitar. Your eyebrows will fly up!
8) Dhani has George's spooky eyebrow thing going on.
9) Jeff Lynne is there, and takes an active part doing what he does best. Bob Dylan is notably absent.
Every track is worthwhile and many are superb.Read more ›
Long live George!
It will surely touch your heart - lots of love projected - and DO stay for the end credits for something you won't want to miss.
A. The Performances
Great musicians and friends/collaborators of George: Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, etc. do an outstanding job and everyone of them put their heart and soul into the songs of George Harrison and make them come alive. It is eerie, but when you listen to Clapton singing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," Paul McCartney singing "All Things Must Pass," or Billy Preston singing "My Sweet Lord," you could sense the presence of George as they're singing! Their renditions of Harrison's songs were just as masterful as George singing them. Those 3 songs stood out to me.
Some other musical highlights:
1) Ringo Starr's touching rendition of "Photograph" (the words take on a completely new meaning in this tribute) and "Honey Don't."
2) Anoushka Shankar's beautiful sitar playing accompanying Jeff Lynne's rendition of "The Inner Light."
3) Joe Brown's tender covers of "Here Comes the Sun" and "I'll See You in My Dreams."
4) Dhani Harrison's acknowledgement and thanks to all the musicians playing.
5) Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing together for the 1st time live in over 40 years!!! And they seem to be having a good time!
6) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and their exciting performance of "Taxman" and spot-on re-endition of "I Need You."
7) Billy Preston's enthusiastic singing of "My Sweet Lord"
8) The funny song "Lumberjack" by Monty Python which really lightened up the crowd and the occasion.
B.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Absolutely beautiful. One of the best concerts and films I have ever seen, period. Such heartfelt performances, such good music, such a beautiful man, and so many people on... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Kate Johnson
Love this tribute it is a must for Rock and Rollers and Beatle fans. We all had a favorite Beatle - mine was GeorgePublished 3 months ago by Jazzin' in Jersey
Outstanding. Thrilled to have this as part of my collection. Without Amazon, I would not have been able to obtain this DVD. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
Saw this on Netflix a couple of years ago and couldn't get it out of my mind....what a phenomenal event this was. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Janice McClelland
A terrific tribute to George Harrison. Plus Tom Hanks fills in as a replacement member of Monte Python! Read morePublished 3 months ago by Jim Considine
Probably the best memorial/tribute concert ever produced. Visual and audio quality is approaching the best too. Read morePublished 4 months ago by John Werner
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > TV
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Clapton, Eric
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > The Beatles > Ringo Starr
- Movies & TV > TV