5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
Published on December 30, 2005 by Whimemsz

3.0 out of 5 stars A good authority on the Ojibwe language
This book lists english-ojibwe and ojibwe-english in two separate sections. It was an invaluable aid wheen I wrote Neitherworld, a science thriller featuring an Ojibwe girl and her family and ancestors. However, I found myself frustrated because the book was TOO concise and it was hard to make full ojibwe sentences without resorting to other sources.
Published on July 13, 2008 by Scott Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, December 30, 2005
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
John Nichols and Earl Nyholm are two of the top linguistic experts on the Ojibwe language, and this dictionary is a collaboration between the two of them. It contains many words for parts of modern life (bemisemagak, "airplane," wiisiniwigamig, "restaurant," odaabaan, "car"), but also a wealth of terms for traditional aspects of Ojibwe life (zibaaska'iganagooday, "jingle dress," bagida'waa, "fish with a net," wiigwaasi-makak, "birch-bark basket"). It may not have 100,000 words like large dictionaries of well-studied languages like English, but it does have over 7,000 (which, for a language like Ojibwe, which has only recieved a lot of serious scholarship relatively recently, is quite impressive). Which may not sound like a lot, but I've found that, whenever I need to look something up, it's almost certain to be in there. The first few pages offer a (very brief) sketch of the phonology and a quick overview of some aspects of the grammar, although only enough to be used as a starting point for more detailed study using other resources. The book does not purport to be a grammar, however, but merely a dictionary, and a "concise" one at that. For a "concise" dictionary to nearly always have the word I'm looking up (I've been using it for about a year now, and there are still only a few words I've tried looking up that I haven't found) is a fairly impressive feat, at least in my mind. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Ojibwe people or the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 8, 2007
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
I realy liked this book, because I use it for my Ojibwe Language Class and I had one copy but I sent it to my nephew in Kansas

5.0 out of 5 stars good, for what it is, August 5, 2012
David "DS" (Eastern Seaboard) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
Webster's this is not. Ok. How many good Ojibwa dictionaries are out there? I sent this to a friend at the Teaching Drum wilderness skills school, in Wisconsin, because he was studying Ojibwa. He loved this book, thought it was very useful. 5 stars for assembling a dictionary like this, which is a very difficult task, even if it's not as long as Webster's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, November 13, 2008
J. Martin (Northern, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
Great book, has everything. Used this for my college Ojib class and I still use it all the time to look up things. If you're trying to learn our native language or just want to know the ojib words for things this is a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
I received a copy in excellent condition, and re-connected with the friend that submitted it. I am grateful that we can now have a more standardized system of Ojibwe language usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good dictionary, April 26, 2013
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
The format makes it easy to understand the roots of words and the relations between certain Ojibwe words that are not related in English. It also covers things like vowel changes, which are important when conjugating verbs and such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Written Resource, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
I have a better understanding of the structure of the language based on this book. The tough part is that it is ever changing and portions are added and new words created.

5.0 out of 5 stars As I am part Native American-Seminole, and very far from home., April 11, 2013
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
I am learning the Ojibwa language. This book, along with the language CD's I have, has enable me to learn that language much faster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anishinabemowin, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
This is, as the title suggests, a concise dictionary. Ojibwe is a complex language with many regional dialects. This is a good beginner reference, light weight and easy to carry.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great informational book!, April 20, 2002
This review is from: Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe (Paperback)
As I am researching the Ojibwa peoples currently, I find myself pulling this book out 3-4 times a day, and it has not failed me yet. The vocabulary covered in this book is simply enormous, and if you're tired of looking at online dictionaries, pick up this book--well worth the cover price.
My only complaint is that Ojibwe, being a 'verb-based' language rather than a noun-based like our own, is very hard to piece together in sentances. There is a tiny chapter at the beginning of this trying to explain it, but it doesn't do a very good job. Thus it's frustrating to look up one word and find 4 different spellings for it.

Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe
Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe by John Nichols (Paperback - December 6, 1994)
$16.95 $12.42